08 Draft Grade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Abe Froemen, Jun 27, 2008.

?

How Did Joe Do

1. A

13.0%
  2. B

28.3%
  3. C

28.3%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

15.2%
  1. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

LMAO!:pound:

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Mejia's contract with Italian team is expiring on Monday.

3. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

Look, I understand his reasoning, it just still seems pointless to me. How many guys that we've sent over to Europe, have actually returned to play meaningful minutes?

If there was nothing that Joe was interested in, I thought we should've been looking to move the picks for cash considerations, or for future picks, rather than waste three picks on guys we'll never see again.

I don't see why you would'nt take a chance on a guy like DeAndre Jordan.

4. mikhail1973

Because Joe has a better clue as to the guys he wants or doesn't want to take a chance on. Besides, the Pistons will have plenty of second-round picks going forward after all the trades they made.

5. max

max All-Star

The way they hype these guys practically everyone sounds good. The reality is very few players drafted #29 or in the 2nd round ever make an impact.

So I will give Joe a C for his skillfull withdrawal. We came out of that without a guranteed contract for someone that probably would not have made the rotation. Now he does not have to worry about trying to dump the contract mid-season.

To get any higher I would have liked to see us trade up to get someone decent.

6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Sounds to me like this Sharpe kid was passed up by other GM's because of medical conditions. Looks like from his stat lines that he is very talented but was unable to compete because of this and other things. Maybe he is a true "diamond in the rough" that just needs polishing.

7. mikhail1973

Only time will tell. However, this is pretty high risk-reward ratio, since there's no risk to Pistons.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Sort of like the Jarvis Hayes signing?

9. mikhail1973

Sort of like that, but with unknown result at this point. When Jarvis was hitting his shots everyone was excited. When he struggled everyone went like, oh well, he's only here for one year. We'll have to wait and see. I have to concur with one of the previous posts talking about people being upset at drafting Afflalo. Doesn't look all that bad now, does it?

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No, it doesn't and I was a card carrying member of the anti-Afflalo brigade. But Hayes' signing points to an all too common theme of building a team with money being the primary concern over talent. Unless you are an heir to the Davidson fortune, I don't see how this can't bother you. DET has probably been 1 player away from winning it all for 4 years.

11. mikhail1973

Or maybe 1 coach away?

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was Anti-Afflalo and n favor of Tiago Splitter. Its shaping up as a major blunder as he;s not coming to the NBA.

13. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

It isn't as if Joe has been sitting on a pile of cap room. We are over the cap, we have been overthe cap for a few years now. The only thing we can really do is sign a MLE. He has been using this money, and if there were one player he thought might be able to help us enough to warrant it I am positive he would throw the full MLE at them. No need for us to be the Knicks throwing full MLEs at anyone with a pulse.

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

that's right. People aren't usually aware of how limited are Dumars' possibilities in FA market and fans, I do not know why, always assume that "oh there is a good FA, sign him", but it is still player's decision.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

HOGWASH!!!! There is no way what-so-ever that you can convince me that every single FA does not want to come and play for the Pistons for a portion of our MLE or the Vet Min!!!!! Antwan Jamison wants to be Piston, he really wants to throw away the $15mill/yr he can get, he wants to trade in his 30+mpg and all-star status to be our backup PF, he really does, Joe and Mr.D are just cheap, lazy, and incompetent!!!!! Same can be said for Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Deng, Okafor etc etc

16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm with you, man, I'm with you. I REALLY do not understand why those guys do not want to be Pistons, well...If they don't...they suck

17. max

max All-Star

After thinking about it I think Dumars did a lot better than we give him credit for.

In this draft there did not seem to be a whole lot of difference in what you could get in the last few 1st round spots and in the 2nd round. So why not trade your 1 guranteed 1st round contract for 2 2nd rounders and throw it on the wall to see what sticks.

DJ White can be argued as a good pick for some teams but not for us. Best case scenerio has him as another Maxiel which we already have. We already have a glut of average sized PF's and we are all set in the backcourt with Stucky and Afflalo. No need to draft another guard or another 6'8" PF unless you think he will be better than Maxiel and Johnson. Considering all the time they invested in Amir its not something they are going to throw out the window for the questionable talent you are going to find in the late 1st round.

One thing we could have used was a backup SF. Were there any locks at the SF spot for us that late in the draft? If there were I did not see them.

Last year we needed guards and found 2 good ones in the spots we had. This year we did not have a decent pick and the talent was just not there.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Joe did a great job playing the hand he was dealt. Honestly I'm not thrilled with many players in this draft at all, the Lopez's don't impress me at all, nor does Beasley. Dumars' job is too find a good pick late in the 1st round,and he does it better than most of the other GM's in the league. Brilliant move to trade down and save some $$$, and roster spots.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

One thing in summerleague is to see whether Sharpe plays at PF or SF: he's been PF in college but dumars wants to develope him as SF.

20. max

max All-Star

We do have a different coach so maybe Curry will be more open to exploring different player molds at the 3 than what we have been used to.