'08 Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jan 21, 2008.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A couple times recently, I've mentioned that the Pistons may be positioning themselves for a trade.

It seems obvious at this point that the team is badly unprepared to face elite competition in the playoffs.

So, who is out there? Who would you trade?

What do you think of moving the expiring deals of Brezec and Hermann?

Post your ideas here but please try to keep this thread focused on trades, and trade ideas. What can Joe do to give this team a spark and a lift?
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This won't be popular, but I could put up with a Tay for Artest trade or Fabio and Flip jr for Artest. He has Pistons DNA and he and Sheed could stop anybody if they put their minds to it. I know his antics even at the Friday game were over the top, but at least is not afraid or passive like [STRIKE]Tyra[/STRIKE] Tay. This quote from Indystar.com indicates that he may even consider playing for Joe and the palace fans despite the 2004 incident

3. max

max All-Star

Thats not a bad idea. It would improve the team for the season. I am still a Prince fan but one has to consider how he has let us down the past 2 post-seasons.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems like Miami would be a good trading partner. They are stuck with Shaq's monster salary for 2 years after this one. With Mourning gone, they are toast.

How about Udonis Haslem and Chris Quinn? They make $6M + $0.7 = $6.7M. Udonis is signed for 2 more years after this. Quinn would make the $ work and would give us an emergency backup PG. Quinn is a 45% 3-point shooter and has a 4:1 assist to TO ratio, and has been getting some real PT this year.

We would dump Flip Murray ($1.9), Bresec ($2.75), and Herrmann ($1.95). About $6.5M total. We'd be giving expiring contracts + young players who can actually contribute. We'd give them an upgrade at PG, a versatile player in Herrmann, and a Center to take Mourning's place/ all expiring contracts so that they can get on with their life next year.

We'd pick up a roster spot in the deal and could bring Mejia back into the fold... or of course, Webber!

Billups/ Rip/ Tay/ Dyess/ Sheed

Hunter/ Afflalo/ Haslem/ Maxiell/ Webber (the all-D team to help Webber out on D)

Quinn/ Stuckey/ Hayes/ Johnson/ Samb

As far as Artest goes. I'd actually like to see it. But realistically, if you are Joe Dumars, you have to consider how bad that deal would look if it didn't work out. Worst case scenario is that we lose Prince (a key player who is signed for many years) and Artest blows up, destroys our chemistry, and then chooses to NOT opt out next year after his market value diminishes yet again. I just don't think Joe needs to gamble the franchise and his reputation on a trade that isn't necessarily a no-brainer.
  5. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I like that trade for Udonis. Nice role player with no trouble working hard.

But....

It'd be difficult to fit him in with JMax for time, and he's going to be another guy in front of Amir.

Tay for Artest. Hmm, tempting but no.
  6. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I was thinking of Tay for Artest, but I see LaDre beat me to it. He'd be the inside missing piece that would help us against some tougher teams. I think he'd show up and play hard...........his switch would always be on.
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like Tay for Artest.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If I was trying to be realistic, I'd say a trade of one of the starters isn't likely to happen. So, I'll take a look at the bench.

Just scanning through the teams as possible suitors, it's pretty hard to find someone to trade with who has what we want and vice versa. Trades within the division aren't too likely. And trades with other contenders less likely. So all I can really see is something like this:

WIZARDS
    PF/C - Andray Blatche - 6'11 (3rd season). Seen him play once. Looks to be a very active defender and has shown glimpses when given the minutes. Can block shots. GAME LOG
    C - Oleksiy Pecherov - 7'0 (Rookie). Don't know much about him other than he is a good rebounder, can hit the outside shot (even 3's!) and is just returning to action from a fractured ankle. He was the Wiz first round draft pick in 2006.

The Wiz look to have a log-jam in the big man department with Haywood, Songaila, Blatche and Pecherov. Also Etan Thomas may be back this season as well. That's a lot of big men for a team that plays relatively small.

We could trade them any 2 of Brezec, Herrmann or Murray. Wiz may like another PG in Murray as Roger Mason is more of a SG and both Arenas and Daniels are gimpy.

If we could only get one I think Blatche could contribute right now for 20 minutes a game to back up Sheed.
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I like Tay for ANYBODY.

Signed,

Dlev59

(Just kidding, Dlev) :)

I'm worried about Artest beyond this season. I'd like to see it, though. I'm a big Prince fan, but I'm a bigger fan of seeing another Pistons' 'ship. If Joe D stands pat, we ain't gettin' no 'ship.
  10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I like making a move for Haslem. Looking at his numbers though I think you would have to put him in the starting line up. Haslem has Pistons DNA and brings the rebounding we need. However, that means Dice goes to the bench which means Max gets less playing time.
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Blatch and Amir are basically the same player, why don't we just play Amir if we are going to lose anyways.

Instead we are not playing Amir and Stuckey and Afflalo enough and are STILL losing.
  12. jslove1408

jslove1408 Second Round Draft Pick

I just don't see any of those trades helping us win a ring this year, as of lately we are not playing championship basketball. Unless we get back on track or make a trade with one of our starters then this team will continuously come up short.
  13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Rip, Flip Murray and Affalo for Michael Redd and Charile Bell. We need a legit jump shooter and a guy that strikes fear into opponents. Charlie Bell is a nice option to come off of the bench with Stuckey.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Tay for Caron Butler + filler. I got it through the ESPN trade machine for Butler and Dom McGuire. McGuire might become on of the most popular players on the forum also.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With these trades, please tell why the other team would do it. It may be obvious to you, but not to the rest of us.
  16. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'd put all our expirings in one package. FlipM, Hays, Fabio and Pillow amount to ~ $7.6 Mill. That package would work for Artest (Prince off the bench), and also Kaman and/or Wilcox.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would Sac want all those guys? They'd have to waive 3 players after the trade. Who would they waive?

Artest is gone next year for them anyway, so they effectively have an expiring contract. And he just got back from injury and will help them this year.
  18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Who cares? That's their problem. Our scrubs are better than theirs anyway.

Help them do what? Especially with Bibby likely gone. Sac's got guys who don't want to play there. Our scrubs would likely be significant contributors for them. Especially since all of em are playing for another contract.
  19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What about Kirilenko or Pau Gasol, both teams are looking for trade partners.

I also like c bell and ....okay, a collectively sigh right here from the forum faithful....Shane Battier.
  20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Prince for Maggette. We pick up about $3 million in salary.

:hoops: