15th draft pick

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by adpreston1988, Jun 12, 2007.

1. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

I realized something just now. The #15 draft selection will be the highest the Pistons have picked since the infamous Darko draft. Of course he's not on our team now. It'll be about the same spot as when we drafted Mateen Cleaves and Rodney White. Lets hope this guy doesn't turn out to be a bust like them.

I basically posted this because we got Tayshaun Prince, Memet Okur, Carlos Delfino, and Jason Maxiell all with 1st round draft picks in the 20s. All 4 of these guys have turned out to be pretty good (especially Prince). If we can get a steal like Tayshaun with the #27 pick, just think of the talent we can get with this #15 draft pick. I'm going to expect a lot of things from whoever we draft and I expect him to be a future starter for this team, unlike Maxiell and Delfino who I see as good 6th and 7th men like "big nasty" and okur were in 2004.

Heck, seeing Prince thrive as a SF starter maybe our #27 pick could be a future starter. I just don't see "starter" caliber on guys like Delfino and Maxiell. Okur is a starter for Utah, so it seems 2/4 of our draft picks in the 20s have become NBA starters, while the other 2 have been above average bench players. Now if we can just redeem ourselves of the Darko pick.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@preston
    are you trying to say that Okur is a good 6th or 7th man?
  3. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

no...I was saying Jason Maxiell and Carlos Delfino are and that Tayshaun Prince and Okur are good STARTERS
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Joe did struggle with higher picks. So, indeed, lets hope that he can steer the ship in the right direction this time. Also, at this point I do not believe that Delfino is an above average bench player. He is average at best. It is not all his fault that Pistons don't have the bench rotation set and that he hasn't been getting consistent minutes to show what he could possibly do. But until he does prove that he belongs it is all moot point.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's how I feel Mikhail. :thumb:

Unfortunately Delfino has too many invisible appearances. Sure it's not fair he doesn't get 30 minutes per game. Life ain't fair. Hasn't stopped J-Max.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The problem with that is that their games are different. J-Max is a rebounder, shot-blocker, and he scores primarily around the rim. Delfino needs to get into some kind of rhythm to consistently hit shots. I wonder if that knee injury really changed him that much. I remember when he used to take the ball to the rim recklessly and just jam it hard. What happened to that Delfino? Becasuse since he is not driving, if he can't hit his jump shots he is useless. Energy is great, but you can't get far on energy alone.
  7. rpmfla

rpmfla Second Round Draft Pick

Need4Sheed.com Detroit Pistons 2006-2007 Video Highlights

there are a few nice jams by Delfino in this video montage, so I don't think his injury stopped him. I just think he needs more than spot minutes to be effective...or if given spot minutes, make them consistent game to game. Not everyone can be Vinnie Johnson.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just find we are cheering the guy when he plays well, because it is less and less often.

And I'm not just talking about NBA regular and post season action. Preseason and his one Summer League excursion as well.

We all want him to do well. But at this point, he hasn't really made the case that he is a guy we absolutely have to keep.
  9. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

lol.. anyone notice that even in that highlight reel when delfino isnt the person highlighted u see him in the background on the floor when a lot of stuff is happening? coincidence? :P

anyways.. basketball is mostly mental so if delf doesnt have any confidence because he never plays hes not going to shoot very well and hes not going to play aggressive.. he NEEDS more minutes.. esp when he earned them the game before. If he doesnt do it here hes gonna make the pistons look stupid for some other team.