1st Round Game 2 - Orlando Mon April 23rd 7pm

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That's cool, man. Have fun at the game for all of us that can't go.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Take pictures Jack! I want exclusives! And not all Darko pictures either, ok? :)
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He did have that one crazy awesome dunk in Ben's face a couple of years ago with the Knicks.
  4. roscoe36

5. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Orlando must realize that by cutting their mistakes, they can make the game much closer. They'll win if the Pistons fold at the end like an I-96 bridge. Same prediction as last time. Pistons win 95-92............
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Pistons take care of business at home. Great work fellas. :)
  7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Magic did take much better care of the ball tonight, with only 9 turnovers, but the Pistons contained Howard for only 8 points and 11 boards. Bad discipline on penetration was the one thing that hurt the Pistons on D, as Turkoglu got way too many good looks off drives into the lane by Jameer, Grant, and others. Hopefully the familiar "better on the road than at home" dynamic of this season will play out in Orlando for a Pistons sweep.
  8. max

max All-Star

Another 8 point win. Impressive defensive job on Howard who was regulated to pushing guys out of the way to get into rebounding position. If not for Turkoglu this game would not have been close.
  9. roscoe36

2 Wins. Fantastic. I enjoy watching Darko, Arroyo and Hill get beat.

Shut down the Ho. I should have some audio for you guys later.
  10. max

max All-Star

I actually have been impressed with Darko, he has a very nice hook shot. Gets it off quick and accuratly. As someone else pointed out this is what LB was trying to teach him back when he was trying to be the next Dirk.

One of those hook shots was not quick enough around Sheed though as Sheed stuffed it back. Another one I liked is when Arroyo flopped right behind Rip and Rip quickly turned and hit the now open uncontested shot. I think Arroyo got a call similiar to that in game #1 against Billups. Better ref crew tonight, you can't model your game on getting cheap calls.

Just like last game. It ended up close but the Magic were never in it.
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

• Very nice game from Rasheed up until Darko blocked his jumpshot from the right block.
    • Tayshaun had an impressive shooting game but I'm not sure he can move his feet fast enough to guard a dribble drive from Yao Ming anymore.
    • One of Webber and McDyess is going to have to get his game on track pretty soon if the Pistons are to win in the next round.
    • Chauncey and Rip were sleepwalking but not imprecise – only one turnover between the both of them.
    • Saunders has almost no confidence in either Lindsey or Flip Jr, and rightly so.
    • Fino clang.
    • Better defensive scheme this time around, set up by a clock management game that forced Orlando to try to win on the merits of their guard talent.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Good for a start but we cannot just exhange baskets with the good teams. Orlando has trouble scoring but has out-executed us down the stretch on both offense and defense.

I like what Chauncey has been doing and Sheed also. That little free throw line jumper has been there all year for Sheed. We don't always need the 3-ball. We need to keep Murray sharp and use him over Hunter. We will need Murray's offense against the better teams when the points will not be as easy to come by. Good to see Rip in his mid-range game. His best play was that first quarter fast break pull-up 10 footer. Swish. Tay needs to take his time when he gets in the lane. He is missing some near bunnies.

Ahb, right, Webber seems to have trouble against the taller centers and we need to find some spots on the floor for him. They are coming out on Dyss and he will have to fake and get into the mid-range.

Still a coaching issue on Turgolu. He scored too much last game and way, way too much this game. Yes, the idea is to stop Howard but please, notice when a guy is getting hot and jam that up. This is playoff basketball.

Good for now, but we will need to be a lot tougher defensively in the next series and play some vintage Piston playoff basketball.
  13. roscoe36

Hey folks, I'll take it. We're 2-0, we took care of homecourt, now we have to contest with the horde of mouseketeers in Orlando, but any doubt that we might not make it past this series should now be erased.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As expected, Brian Hill made no adjustments worth mentioning. Perfectly content to lose, as long as he does not have to change anything. Got to be thankful the guy is so inept. Just 14 more wins to go for a championship.

The game in a nutshell. Jameer Nelson finally hits a shot late after going 1-9. Billups comes down and simply shoots a three, pretty much uncontested as Jameer stares helplessly. Jameer, the starting point for Orlando, pretty much assures the Pistons can always get easy shots.

Rip started out slow, ended up with a very bad shooting night but made many free throws. Billups hit some threes, and made a clutch bucket with a drive in that pretty much put this one away. Sheed hit some triples. Tay a few too. I'd say the biggest difference these days from last season, as far as our 4 stars returning from last season, is Tay's new found confidence in his outside shooting.

Our bench was completely ineffective. Delfino had the one free throw, Dyess shot horribly to give us at least some bench scoring. Thats it. Murray and Hunter barely played and neither scored. No Maxiell. No Davis. Delfino played just a bit more than Hunter and Murray, but not that much at all. We are getting awful close to just using 6 guys. Bad sign. Anyone remember the discussion about who has the better bench? Orlando continues to use theirs heavily.

Darko went 5-5 for Orlando in the fourth. No outside shooting, even though he was open repeatedly in a spot that he does not miss from. More excellent coaching from Hill. Got to love it.

Dyess did rebound well and Delfino did play some good D, but thats mighty little from the bench.

It will be interesting looking at the game flow tomorro. I am sure it will show the Orlando's starters, against the Pistons starters, did horribly, and then the Orlando bench made a comeback. Both halves. I'd guess at one point the Pistons starters were plus 17 or so vs. the Orlando starters. Expect more of the same for next game on Thursday, cause why? Brian Hill will not adjust. So don't even worry. Pistons in 4. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice win, but two things stand out.
    The bench is only providing minutes but no points and the Hunter curse has reared it's ugly head again.

The bench shot 2-16 tonight scoring a total of 10 pts. Dice, Delfino, Hunter and Murray were in there and only Dice with his 2-11 shooting was able to connect from the floor. Hope a better shooting Dice and at least one other bench player shows up to Disney world.

Billups and Rip played 41 and 44 minutes and we needed them out there for every minute. I am not going to blame Hunter for the second quarter collapse, since he was on the bench, but the Magic shaved 7 quick points off that 15 point 4th quarter lead for the 2+ minutes he was in there then. Flip sr's best move of the night was to yank Hunter at the next time out. CB came back and restored order after that.

Funny thing is that during the regular season, Flip would have let that run get up to 11 points before calling a time out, so he has learned something...The question is why hasn't he learned his lesson with Hunter??? He only plays well when he is out there with Billups, but without a another quality PG, that can't happen, since Hunter is the designated driver out there when Billups needs a blow. .
  16. roscoe36

I think a big part of the problem is all of the time Hunter missed and Flip did not establish a two PG platoon with Hunter/Murray.

At first glance, it seems we are really in need of a quality PG, but after a second look, I wonder how much better Hunter and Murray could be if we had a legit 2G that can play off the ball and work the baseline screens, play the mid-range game.

The guaranteed day's rest and extended timeouts allow us to push our guys a couple minutes longer than usual.

I'd just like to say to the Run-Rasheed-Out-On-A-Rail contingent that he is playing very under control. The refs seem to have backed off a bit in the Joey Crawford aftermath, and his forays into the paint are paying big dividends.

It's no joke that as Sheed + Billups go, so go the Pistons. Let's hope they can both stay hot, healthy and focused.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I predict that Hunter will tear it up the next game. Everyone is down on the feisty pill popper right now, and when the chorus is near crescendo, Mr. Hunter always soothes the mob with a very strong game.
  18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lb hindered darko's game more than anything. lb didn't teach him anything except how to demand to go to another team. yes darko has a post game now but coaches still aren't letting him use his originals skills which was the jump shot and playmaking. orlando should be running the offense through darko instead of d. howard. darko is an inside and outside threat like rasheed. stuffing him in the post and not getting him shot attempts is dumb that's why hill will be fired the guy simply can't coach.

add sheed and mcdyess to the list of nba big men that darko defends very well.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are right there Lin...Hunter always plays well in one out of every three games. That may well be the next game where helps us to a commanding 3 games to none lead!!!
    Go Hunter :cheerleader: (you can take this meaning two ways):)
  20. roscoe36

Kudos to Flip Saunders for employing the [SARCASM]hyperbolic[/SARCASM] zone effectively against the Magic's interior scorers.

Nelson was kept off balance. Howard was for all intents and purposes shut down. Darko was huge, but if Darko is huge, then you have a chance. Not too many games are won by dominant 6th man performances.

Sure Turkoglu had a great night, but that's almost what you want. Turk is a volume scorer (needs shots) and a bonafide chucker (many nights, he'll shoot a lousy %). You can live with him having a couple good games in the series. He's not so special that his contributions cannot be overcome.

Right now, Hedo is hot. Once he cools off, you can trust he will keep tossing up shots like the 3 point line is about to be eliminated.

I really thought Hill wasn't made to work hard enough early by Billups, and Grant totally got some superstar calls from the Ed Rush led referee crew. Overall, the officials were pretty lousy, but again, if an older Grant Hill is going to be your leader the chances of getting beat are pretty small. In his prime he had trouble getting over the hump. Eliminate Howard and Hill doesn't have the supporting cast.