1st Round PHX vs. Spurs

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Some bad blood in this one. The Suns feel they were robbed of the series last year, look to gain revenge this time.

Should be a long series. Spurs in 7!

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Re: PHX vs. Spurs Series

It is difficult to officiate a series like that and there are a few bad calls going both ways. Shaq got quick 3 fouls in the 1st half, so he is getting out of the way when Spurs drive to the hoop. Duncan can't get a call going his way. It is a very entertaining game.

3. mikhail1973

What a game! First Finley ties the game in regulation on a triple with 15 seconds left and then Duncan of all people ties the game in overtime on a triple with 3 seconds left. Second overtime on the way. Stoudemire, Thomas, and Parker have all fouled out.

4. mikhail1973

What an ending. Nash hits a 3-pointer with 15 seconds left in the 2nd overtime to tie the game and then Ginobili drives to the basket for a layup with 1.8 seconds left and Phoenix out of time outs can't muster anything resembling a shot.
    Phoenix can't stop San Antonio when it counts. Their defense is better, but still not good enough.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

The Dastardly Spurs. Yuck.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Do you think it's possible if the Spurs get knocked out, we could borrow Greg Popovich?

What a fantastic game, and great coaching decision at the end to let them go when PHO had no bigs in the game. I was rooting for the Spurs all the way. I don't know what my problem is. I have to make myself cheer for the Suns.

Also this game, the Wiz/Cavs -night and day.

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can never count out the Spurs in any game....weren't they down 16+ points at one point in the second qtr. A deflating loss for the Suns...

Notice that Antiono did not use Grant Hill at all down the stretch or even the two OT's. He relied on Barbosa and Diaz and both came up short in their shots to win the game after the spurs had hit the two three's to it in regulation the first OT.

I had to pull for the Spurs too, as I think that they are the only team that can defeat the Lakers and that is the last team I want to see in the finals as they been the # 1 seed six times in their storied history and have won the title each time....:(

8. mikhail1973

I was rooting for Spurs. Just don't like Phoenix and the trade.

9. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

God you guys how can you like the Spurs? Seriously, if they make it to the Finals you want Flip to coach against Pop? My God. You got to root for everyone but the Spurs for our own sake. The Spurs may have a solid fundamental system and a great coach, but have you forgotten about the DIRTY play they routinely resort to in the crunch, Ginobili's flopping, "Timmy's" dirty play and whining and Horry's inexecusable thuggish play against Nash last year?

C'mon. This whole argument of "I like them because they play defense like the Pistons." Gimme a break. There is right and there is wrong and liking the Spurs for a Pistons fan is wrong. The idea that the Spurs are a mirror image of the Pistons that play half-court basketball is an old idea. And even if they were, how in the world do you support your rival EVER? Good Lord.

10. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

This game was incredibly incredibly awesome. Playoff basketball! WOO!

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If it makes you feel better, i feel dirty afterwards LOL. It's like a guy you shouldn't have slept with it (not the best analogy :))

I thought of both things. Dre's whole thing about not wanting to face LA, but then i don't really want to face the Spurs either. Ultimately we would benefit most from PHO making it, but then on the flip side if BOS goes to the finals, i want them to play the Spurs. They are the only team that can beat them. Damn WC making things so difficult!

Flip against either Phil or Pop scares me, but maybe in a series against the Spurs we will resort to playing Larry Brown ball, and play them exactly like we used to.

I think we have a better chance against the Spurs. Sheed will come to play. Also won't Bynum be back by the finals? Makes LA much tougher.

12. mikhail1973

Personally, I don't necessarily see it like that. Sure, Ginobili's flopping. Have you noticed Nash with Grammys out there? Duncan is not a dirty player and Horry is out. And, I would love for Pistons to have a shot at revenge.
    And besides, Phoenix doesn't play defense and I don't like their coach.

13. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh I think it's much worse than that feeling. That feeling goes away within a few days, but liking the Spurs is like a disease you get from that guy that lingers.

No No No. We don't play LB ball anymore, except maybe in the last 4 minutes of the 4th quarter when we are behind. That's it and it won't be enough. Not against the Spurs who know us and Flip only too well.

I love us, I do, but we still have limitations that several teams know how to exploit. I guess that could be said of most of the playoff teams, but I see us as more vulnerable than we seem right now.

Anyway, lpgrl, I wasn't really assessing it with the brackets and the Finals in mind. In general principle, I am against the Spurs winning EVER. I feel about the Spurs the way longtime Pistons fans feel about the Bulls. It's a visceral antipathy from my infancy as a Pistons fan. (2004) There's nothing I enjoy more next to a Pistons win than a Spurs loss.

14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

The Spurs are my second favorite team (sorry, Aurora) and they're playing a team with Shaq on it. I will NEVER root for a team with that guy on it, and most Spur fans aren't idiots and/or jackasses like Phoenix's can be. Game 1 was craaazzzyyy. Very entertaining.

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound::pound:

I can appreciate your well thought out hate

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good to see some nice banter about teams other than the Pistons...proves that we are all not homers....but come tomorrow, we will have our tru Pistons colors on!!

Go Spurs, Hornets, Rockets, Nuggets, Wizards, Hawks, Raptors and of course Pistons....now... I guess that tells you aho I am cheering for in the first round:MusicBigGrin:

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I want it to be: Suns, Mavs, Jazz and Nuggets and Wizards, Celtics, Magic, Pistons.

Must lose teams for my emotional satisfaction: Spurs and Cavs.

Hey you Spurs sympathizers! Do you really care to see another victory celebration on the alleged "River"walk in San Antonio? C'mon.

18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:thumb:

Great game. Duncan is a joy to watch.
    No. I'd like to watch the Spurs play beautiful basketball for as long as possible and then lose to the Pistons or to the Lakers.

19. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Well, your other choice is Phil Jackson!

It will be one or the other in the Finals.

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would love it, if it means they beat Boston in the Finals. I love watching the Spurs play, they don't showboat, they don't swagger, they just kill you, they're disciplined. And they're not the media darlings ad nauseum like the SUNS, Lakers, Celtics, and SUNS. I HATE the Suns and their crybaby fans. I have a number of friends from Arizona who are Suns fans, which is totally fine, but every time the Suns fall short in the playoffs, a lot of their fans and the media absolutely fall apart with the crying and whining. It's sickening. The Spurs play the way I wish Detroit still played every game, instead of just during late-game come-from-behind stretches. And I don't want to hear the asinine arguments about the dastardly Spurs and their dirty dirty ways. If you didn't notice, it was the same crybaby Suns fans and players who got beat by the Spurs who fabricated that story and passed it on to the media, who like a juicy story and ran with it. I know that Bruce Bowen at times engages in questionable tactics, but NEWS FLASH!!!!!! - so does over half the league, including now-Suns player Shaquille O'Neal himself. I won't respect the Suns until they 1) can flat-out beat the Spurs in a series (which may happen this year) and 2) at least make it to the Finals for once. For all the love showered on the Suns, they are less consistent than Detroit, more annoying then Kobe and the Lakers, and cry louder than the whole rest of the league. So there's my reason why I am rooting for the Spurs. I just can't stand hearing about how horrible it is to like the Spurs, and how the Suns are all about the beautiful, free-flowing style....blah blah blah. This is basketball, not figure skating. I say knock the free-flowing offenses on their butts (which is what usually happens every year).

GO PISTONS!!!

PS: For the same reasons I like Spurs and Pistons, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if the Celtics win it all either, since they are just the perfect example of how dominating a good defense can be. Since they are our more immediate rivals though, I would much rather see the Spurs beat them if they beat the Pistons.