1st Round VS Edmonton

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

The Wings will face Edmonton in the 1st round of the playoffs.

The Wings have never beaten Edmonton in a Playoff series.

On the season the series is 2-2. With the two losses coming on OT.

GO WINGS!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. roscoe36

[The Oakland Press]

Wings ready to begin their main quest
    by PAULA PASCHE

In this first season of the new world of the NHL, absolutely no one knew how it would all shake out. The initial year of building a team with salary-cap limitations put more pressure on the general managers. Some, like Detroit's Ken Holland, figured it out, while at least a handful of GMs are likely to get the ax this week. Two - the Islanders' Mike Milbury and the Bruins' Mike O'Connell - didn't even make it to the end of the season.

[Booth Newspapers]

Red Wings Bulletin

Oilers get their wish

A first-round playoff matchup between the Red Wings and Edmonton was made official late Saturday night when Colorado gained a point in its overtime loss to Vancouver.

Oddly, even before knowing for sure they'd be playing Detroit, some Oilers were saying they'd rather play the Wings than meet Dallas, who they faced six times (losing five) in a span of seven seasons from 1997 to 2003.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I was surprized and not surprized to find Hasek on the shelf. He sounds like he's almost ready to go.
    So what is playoff hockey like now? How did the new rules shake out. I know fighting was much reduced.
    Hasn't the Prez Cup been an enigma for the Wings? If we win it we fail in the playoffs?
  5. Superstarov

We have won the President's Cup 5 times in the last 11 years, I think. We won one of those years, and 2 other years we didn't get it, so... who knows.

As far as I know, playoff hockey will be much like it used to be. Less holding and interference, but other than that, it's pretty much the same. (other than, no 2 line-pass and the icing "penalty")

The shoot-out is not active in the playoffs.
  6. roscoe36

I think fighting was reduced because the new NHL places a premium on speed, and many of the power grinder/fighters are not the most fleet of foot players.

I expect the usual drama and excitement. The great thing about the NHL playoffs is that no low seed is a push over. There is almost always a significant first round upset.

Edmonton. They were relieved to get the Wings instead of the Stars. Now it's time to make them pay.
  7. Superstarov

I know Edmonton was relieved to get the Wings, just because the Stars have knocked them out of the playoffs so many times lately... but it may have been a mistake to state so publicly.

Time to make them sorry they got the Wings.
  8. roscoe36

(1) DET vs. (8) EDM
    Game 1: @ Detroit
    Fri., 4/21, 7 p.m. ET, OLN, CBC

Red Wings are 'Lords of the Rink'
    By Larry Wigge | NHL.com columnist

Everyone is always looking for a prediction before the first puck drops for the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most of the time, you pick your favorite stat and try to make it a trend and run with it. It could be a regular-season matchup between the playoff teams that is lopsided one way or another. Or the way a team finished the regular season. Maybe a hot goaltender down the stretch.

I'd like to introduce what I call the "Lord of the Rings" theory ... as in an Olympic equation. And while it's true no one country has dominated in the last three Olympics -- the Czech Republic winning the gold medal at Nagano, Japan, in 1998, Canada winning at Salt Lake City in 2002 and Sweden capturing the gold at Torino, Italy, earlier this year -- there is truly a "Lord of the Rinks" from 1998 and 2002.

It's the Detroit Red Wings.

[read more]
  9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I couldn't believe how many shots the Wings had compared with the Oilers tonight. Glad they got the win. It's never a lock in the NHL for the No. 1 seed to get by the No. 8 seed as the Wings have shown over the years. If you run into a hot goalie, you never can tell. Hopefully, the Wings broke a little of Edmonton's spirit with that tough first game.
  10. roscoe36

Wooohooo!

What a game. When the second OT started, I was ready to pass out. Thankfully, Maltby scored.

What was up with Datsyuk?
  11. ggazoo69

Datsyuk is out with a thigh injury. He said would "maybe" play on Sunday.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thigh injury...he'll be in Game 2. I still miss the ESPN crew, But good game anyways. I hate the Red home jerseys, I'm so oldddddddddd! Why did the NHL do that?
  13. Superstarov

Datsyuk has missed the last 2 weeks or so, with a "charley horse", suffered on a big hit in the Calgary game I think. From what I've read, they expect him to play Sunday.

Maybe Babcock will put him back on a line with Zetterberg, who was invisible in game 1. He had 33 shifts and just 3 shots on goal, 2 of which I remember as weak little back handers right at the goalie's chest. I don't remember the other one.

My point is, if neither of these guys shows up in this run for the cup, all their big numbers this season are useless. And especially for Zetterberg, who is being labeled as one of the best all around forwards playing right now.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

HQ, they look like a bunch of skating Santa Claus.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i know....rrrrrghhh!!!
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Thats why are road record set an NHL record!!!!Bring back the whites!!!:nod:
  17. roscoe36

Wings are gunna have to play really good in Edmonton. The game will be sold out and those northern Albertan's are darn loud.

They seem to have a lot of problems countering speed. Legace needs an "A" game.
  18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I was trying to put the wings loss in perspective today, and all i can think of was..........There is a scene toward the end of Poltergeist where the devil is coming back to take little Carolanne thru the closet again. As the room begins to open , she stares at the closet and murmurs, "No More"......That's how I feel when the Wings take my stomach thru this ride again. Sigh>>>>>>>:doh:
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey, we weren't the best road team for nutin'.
  20. ggazoo69

Great post by someone on RedWings Talk over on detnews. Many over there not happy with Manny Legace's play:

"Someone put some pads on BEN WALLACE and stick him in there."