2 questions....

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by st8ofmind, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

It is truly astounding to me that after the last three postseasons people are still drinking the Tayshaun Kool-Aid.

Hell, the last two series.

29 of the last 30.
    The 'will be' is quite the stretch. Duncan is money inside of 15 feet and until about two years ago was money out to 18. Darko makes a quarter of his jumpshots from any range.
  2. Fuster

Fuster Second Round Draft Pick

Who do the Pistons have off the bench who are equivalent to Robert Horry and Manu Ginobli, or even Michael Finley?
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Fuster,

The Spurs bench is overrated. Those guys are also old. They work because the Spurs move the ball and their big three can get just enough offense. But notice the Cavs did stop them up in game three overall.

We don't move the ball. If we did, we would score more and I like our overall atheticism versus theirs. Liked it more with Ben.

But I agree (and one of my points) is that we haven't added anyone off the bench of impact since Dyss. We tried with Arroyo. It didn't work. Not adding a piece here or there has defintely hurt our run.

I think that Joe could not forsee that when a team is at the top, you have to continually add parts as the competition catches up fast. The Lakers went down in flames because they moved too late.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I am not sure if it is Joe's vision or something else, but I'd guess he'd expect Flip to play the likes of Delfino and JMax quite a bit more during the season so that they're ready comes playoff time. If they both averaged around 20-25 minutes they'd be much better prepared. Also, when you're on the top everyone is trying to knock you off, and the other teams are less willing to provide you with any assets making it more difficult to improve.
  5. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think Joe expected Flip to play those guys 20-25 because they didn't have a chance the year before. Maybe he has gotten the message and will give the young guns some burn.
  6. mikhail1973

Looks like Flip has no option but to play the youngsters if he wants to stick around.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Spurs were the most experienced team and the oldest team out there, (Finley, Horry skewing the numbers), but the youngest player Tony Parker still had five years experience of playing in big games and he now has 3 rings himself. His speed and penetration along with the defensive presence of Duncan and the scatterbrain play of Genobli was enough to win this no matter who they were playing.

Yeah the Pistons were the only team to give the Spurs a fight in their 4 championship runs going the distance in 2005 and probably letting the ring get away, but based on our play with the Bulls and Cavs in May, we probably would have run out of gas in game six and the Spurs would have untimately won anyway. It definitely would not have been as ugly as this sweep though. The Cavs just make games ugly....
  8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Excellent post st8, however in going a little further....Who is the best at coaching Flip Saunders or Greg Popovich..lol
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You can't really believe that?

Darko was traded because he threatened to go back to Europe if he wasn't traded. He hated the Pistons and there is no way he would have played another year in the Piston uniform. He forced the trade. It had nothing to do with money, that was the politically correct line that the media fed the public at the time.

:hoops:
  10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I do believe that- Darko would have been gone anyways and JoeD tried to get at least something in return (but he should at least have waited 'til summer)- so he packaged Arroyo, who has a big contract with dissatisfied Darko. I don't know if that was the media version and if Darko wanted the deal that badly (I mean, you always hear about players demanding trades), it's even more sad.
    I remember that he played good enough to be part of the regular rotation and FlipS suddenly took him out of the rotation for no appearant reason- maybe something happened behind the scenes fans don't know about.
  11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i believe ben wallace happened. he wanted darko gone because he was a threat to his big payday. darko leading the league in blocks in the preseason, throwing dimes, hitting jumpers, hitting free throws and playing great post defense would have made ben's bargaining power drop with the pistons.
  12. mikhail1973

I wonder what's happened to Delfino? Tay?
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nah, Ben Wallace again. Joe D. is just a front man. Ben has taken over the front office by remote. :rofl:
  14. mikhail1973

This is what I was afraid of. So, in all actuality, Joe is not scared of Laimbeer as suggested in another thread, he's scared of Big Ben.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Fear the FRO!