2003-2007 Detroit Pistons Legacy

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by adpreston1988, Jun 12, 2007.

1. adpreston1988

adpreston1988 First Round Draft Pick

5 straight ECF and only 1 NBA Championship to show for it. If we would've won the 2005 NBA Championship we would've had back to back titles just like the "Bad Boys" of '89 and '90. However, as it stands we're the only team of the 5 straight conference finals to win just a single title. All the other teams on the list had somewhat of a "dynasty" or "mini-dynasty" (the bad boys).

I guess I'm just really confused as to the identity of this team and how their legacy will be remembered. Looking back at this era in time all that will be remembered are the 3-peat Lakers dynasty of 2000-2002, and the Spurs dynasty (winning 4 titles in 9 years). At least the Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavaliers can be content with their 1 year title run, but what do we make of the Detroit Pistons? They can't be considered a dynasty seeing how the Spurs have buried them in the dust. They can't even be compared to the bad boys since we didn't win back to back championships like them. I guess with all the hype about the 5 straight ECF, I feel diasppointed after all of this and don't know how this team will be remembered.

At least with the other Detroit teams, the Red Wings are a lot like the Atlanta Braves in that they've been in 14-15 straight playoffs but are always up and down, having both success and busts throughout. They did at least accumulate 3 stanley cup trophies in a period of 5-6 years. The current Detroit Tigers for now are a 1 year title run team, but maybe over the next 5 years they'll look to establish themselves as a superior baseball team. And the Lions we all know are just %%%%. So it seems almost every other Detroit sports team has an identity besides the Pistons. What do you guys make of this? I really hope the Pistons get their %%%% together next year and maybe win 1 or 2 more championships with this core, which would establish themselves as a dynasty (3 titles in 7 years, 7 straight ECF). NOW THAT IS A RESPECTABLE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!
  2. adpreston1988

no replies?? did I make this too confusing and obscure?? I put a lot of thought into this, but I guess I didn't convey my thoughts as well as I would've liked.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    In my mind in order for this team to be considered a legacy they need to get to the finals a couple of more times and win at least one more championship. They are reminding me somewhat of Yankees of 2000's. They are good in the regular season and always in contention for the world series, but only won it once and keep getting older and throwing money at the older players. Only have a couple of their own farm-raised talents and acquire the rest in the trades. The only difference is that they're willing to spend the $$$. If Pistons were willing to go the same route, they could've won more.
  4. adpreston1988

I definitely agree and the 2000-2007 Yankees is a good comparison. However, the Yankees have won 26 world series and have so many different dynasties dating back through history. The Detroit Pistons have a "mini-dyansty" with the BAD BOYS, but that is the only history for this team. I just worry if the Pistons don't win another championship in the next few years this team will be almost forgotten in 10-20 years. At least the Pistons of the 80s had the "bad boys" title to be remembered by. What will this group be remembered for??
  5. mikhail1973

Usually you are not remembered for underachieving. So, unless they win more they'd be forgotten like other one-time wonders.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dumars Dynasty
    It ain't over yet.
    Sit back and enjoy the ride.
  7. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

I would guess that most of the sports world will look at the Pistons as a very good, sometimes great club that played in a poor Eastern Conference. Winning a second title would have gone a long way toward cemeting their legacy, especially in light of their recent playoff failures. Five straight ECFs is nice, but only winning two is what defines a team. Looking back, people will remember this time as the Spurs dynasty, or as the transition between eras.
  8. adpreston1988

1980's - Boston Celtics Dynasty
    Detroit "Bad Boys" transition period to give way to:
    1990's - Chicago Bulls Dynasty
    2000-2002 Lakers Dominance
    2003-2007 Spurs Dynasty

I really think the Spurs are going to die down now that they've won 4 NBA titles in 9 years. The question is who's going to take the NEXT STEP in solidifying their team as a dynasty??
  9. mikhail1973

Why should the Spurs go anywhere? They are still young, they have more left. The question is - can they win back-to-back? So far after winning the next year they didn't even get to the finals.
  10. adpreston1988

Will Finley, Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan all be back?? Even if they are I don't see the Spurs getting back to the finals the next few years. The WEST was really weak this year challenging San Antonio and Denver, Dallas, Phoenix, and Utah are only going to get better. Also, don't forget about the Lakers if they make a blockbuster deal to get Kevin Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal.
  11. mikhail1973

So far we've seen that Dallas is the only team out of those five that could challenge Spurs. Lakers don't necessarily have the assets to pull off the blockbuster. Even if they do manage to do that, they won't have enough assets left to plug all the holes created by such trade.
  12. crumbs

crumbs First Round Draft Pick

San Antonio will be a threat as long as they have:

1. Duncan

2. Pop and Buford

San Antonio's front office has done well in keeping this team at or near the top for almost a decade. I don't see them dropping off any time soon. Denver (not even close to contending status) and Phoenix have cap issues that will limit their ability to improve. Utah and Dallas will be threats, but I don't see SA being that worried.

The only reason to think they may not make the 2008 Finals is this every-other-year jinx they have. If it holds, they will lose in the 2008 2nd round on some fluke play, but win Duncan's last title in 2009. :)
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Where's the love?:)
  14. adpreston1988

I want to get this thread back to my original post and hear some more ideas. What do you guys think of the current Detroit Pistons legacy?? How can it be improved?? And how can it worsen??
  15. mikhail1973

If this team wants to be remembered as a legacy they gotta get back to the Finals and win a 'ship and hopefully more than one. Otherwise they'll be forgotten.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Their legacy matches closely the one forged by the Fab Five at Michigan. Like that team, the Pistons put 5 excellent starters on the floor. They played good team ball and the loved each other. Both teams broke up too soon and neither accomplished what each was capable of. We gave the country a quick look at team basketball, without the use of a superstar. The NBA pulled out the rug from our success by deeming superstars as the model way to build your franchise.
  17. mikhail1973

While there's merit to the NBA doings, a lot of it is Pistons fault. They kept living in the past. Eve Joe admitted that changes were neede along the way. They had to bring the youngsters in to keep that fire burning. Complacency is what has been this team's downfall after the championship season. And it is complacency throughout starting with the owner and down to the players.
  18. adpreston1988

That's a pretty good analogy, but college basketball is completely different than professional basketball. College basketball you're not expected to have dynasties because players are only on a team for up to 4 years. Professional basketball you are so the fab five being in back to back championships is a lot more remarkable than the Pistons being in back to back.

Anyways, like I've said earlier the Pistons of the 1980's are somewhat remembered because they ended the Boston Celtics dynasty and gave way to Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Also keep in mind they were called the "bad boys" which is a trademark that will be remembered throughout NBA history.

What has this current Pistons team done to be remembered? They really didn't dethrone a dynasty seeing how the Lakers didn't do anything in 2003 (the year before) and the Spurs have won 2 NBA titles after the Detroit Pistons. And the Pistons also don't seem to be giving way to any dynasty seeing how last year they lost to the Miami Heat and now they've lost to the Cavs. At least the Bad Boys played the Boston Celtics 3 consecutive times in the 1980's postseason (losing the first 2 and winning the 3rd time) and playing the Bulls in 3 straight playoffs as well (winning the first 2 and then losing the 3rd time). The 3rd time seems to have been the charm with the bad boys.

And the "fab five" also developed a trademark name for the five freshman that started together to go to back to back ncaa championships. the current group of pistons have no nickname or label and won't be remembered as well as either the bad boys or fab five IMO (unless they prove me wrong the next few years)
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Compare this team to the "Bad Boys" and it is easy to understand why this team has no legacy.

For long time Pistons fans until some future Piston squad can step up and dethrone the Bad Boys there will be only one great Piston basketball team.

The "Bad Boys" legacy was not only the team's winning record and the players but their time in the history of the city of Detroit.

This current squad has had a great run and they are a nice squad, but there is only great basketball team in Piston legacy and that is the Bad Boys.

:hoops:
  20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Plus Daddy Rich!!! It was just a team of personalities from Zeke to Bad Boy Bill, to Rodman, etc, etc. Buddah's jump shot was a thing of beauty. The Jordan rules etc. I could on for hours. Piston basketball is the Bad Boys and will remain so until some future squad can dethrone them and this is not the squad. Sheed is the only colorful player on the whole team. The rest of the team is like oatmeal. Healthy for you but bland as hell.

:hoops: