2005-2006 Rookie Class

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MotownPride, Sep 8, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Forgive my ignorance, but this year as opposed to previous seasons I am completely oblivious as to what to expect from this year's rookie class. Primarily since I didn't follow the college season this past year. Does anyone have any early predictions for rookie of the year? or any forsight to any rookies that could make an immediate impact this year? I play fantasy basketball on the regular so I would love a heads up. (Otherwise I will just have to carefully monitor the pre-season games to get my info) Right off the back, I am impressed with Nate Robinson out of New York but unclear as to what his role will be on Larry's new team.

2. MotownPride

where's the beef?

no feedback folks? I guess I wasn't the only one to miss last years college basketball season.

3. MotownPride

Meat and Potatoes

I've included the list of draft picks for the first round to inspire some thoughts. Does anyone in this first round jump out at you as being a player to watch based on the role they are projected to play on their respective teams?

1 Milwaukee Andrew Bogut - C
    2 Atlanta Marvin Williams - SF
    3 Utah Deron Williams - PG
    4 New Orleans Chris Paul - PG
    5 Charlotte Raymond Felton - PG
    6 Portland Martell Webster - SG
    7 Toronto Charlie Villanueva - PF
    8 New York Channing Frye - C
    9 Golden State Ike Diogu - PF
    10 LA Lakers Andrew Bynum - C
    11 Orlando Fran Vazquez - PF
    12 LA Clippers Yaroslav Korolev - SF
    13 Charlotte Sean May - PF
    14 Minnesota Rashad McCants - SG
    15 New Jersey Antoine Wright - SG
    16 Toronto Joey Graham - SF
    17 Indiana Danny Granger - SF
    18 Boston Gerald Green - SG
    19 Memphis Hakim Warrick - PF
    20 Denver Julius Hodge - SG
    21 Phoenix Nate Robinson - PG
    22 Denver Jarrett Jack - PG
    23 Sacramento Francisco Garcia - SG
    24 Houston Luther Head - PG
    25 Seattle Johan Petro - C
    26 Detroit Jason Maxiell - PF
    27 Portland Linas Kleiza - SF
    28 San Antonio Ian Mahinmi - PF
    29 Miami Wayne Simien - PF
    30 New York David Lee - PF

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

J-Max of course.

Villanueva and Graham, because Toronto needs all the personnel help they can get.

Vazquez shafted the Magic and signed a European contract.

Felton is the PG of the future in Charlotte. Bynum will get some run under Phil Jackson but he's raw.

Just my thoughts.

5. max

max All-Star

1st pick

Whats so special about Bogut? I have heard him compared as the next Luc Longley. If true then thats certainly a waste of a pick.

6. roscoe36

The comparison is because they are both Australian and caucasian.

Bogut is a very decent player. I think he will win ROY. Just my 2 cents.

Link

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

to be honest i hadn't really heard of bogut until he got to the states, but i don't see how anyone can compare him to luc longley. luc's claim to fame was winning 3 championships, but when will perdue begins to get starts over you, you know you're not that good.

i'm not sure if all the hype about bogut is justified, i think everyone just got swept along with the train, but he is definitely going to bring it every night, and really there aren't that many big guys with heart in this league.

i'm thinking perhaps a 15-9-4 season would be a good start...

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

rookies

i didn't get to watch a lot of college ball this season, but of the players I did get to watch during the season, I like Francisco Garcia from Louisville. Looks like he will be playing for the Kings.

Although I didn't get to watch many games during the season, the three standout players during the tournament for me (that made the first round, at least) were Jason Maxiel from Cincinnatti, and Sean May and Raymond Felton from UNC.

Honorable mention goes to Salim Stoudamire from Arizona. I didn't see him on the first round list, so I'm not sure if he went in the second round, or stayed in school. Great shooter. Fast guard. Shoots too much.

9. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

He's on Atlanta right now. I see Salim kinda like a Ben Gordon kinda player, he might be a big sleeper this year.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good Luther.

Anybody watch the Philly game on NBA tv last night. Luther Head looked good.

11. roscoe36

Yep and yep.

I like watching out of market games. It's the only advantage to Raptors NBATV. Lots of diversity.

12. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Chris Paul - Hornets

Haven't seen him since the Summer League, but he's going to play a big role on a struggling team. He looked like the real deal in July - I would expect him to put up some gaudy numbers for a rookie.

13. roscoe36

This might be a really good rookie class after reading up on and watching some of these guys.

I'm excited for guys like Ike Diogu, Martell Webster, David Lee, Danny Granger etc. Hoping JMax becomes a bonafide NBA starter too!

14. roscoe36

Bogut. The more I watch him, the more I like him. He's a grinder, a hard worker and he doesn't back down from anyone.

He's like the anti-Darko. He's not very smooth with the ball, nor does he have a nice jumpshot or crazy athleticism. He just wanders around around the paint ramming into people, yanking down boards when he is out of position, and taking every short basket opportunity face up to the hoop.

I like this kid. Clunky can be beautiful.

Oh yeah, and Chris Paul had a nice night tonight in a loss. Salim Stoudamire has been impressing me as well.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

From what I've heard, next years rookie crop will be the weakest in several years.... with no clear cut 1st pick.
    Sounds like Joe knew what he was doing when trading the pick... especially after the HS kids knew this was their best chance to enter early (last year).

It will be gr8 if our 2nd rounders ended up playing as well as next years lotto picks... of course they won't get equal minutes.

16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Re: Meat and Potatoes

I made a point of trying to follow the rookies this season, because 2 were from University of Illinois where I was on athletic scholarship a very long time ago.

Of course, you have to watch so many games to see them with the little bit of playing time they get. Anyway here are the rookies I was impressed with that got some regular minutes.

3 Utah Deron Williams - PG (Illinois)
    My favorite rookie. He is strong and smart, a good defender too.
    4 New Orleans Chris Paul - PG
    I only saw one game of his, but I guess he is ALL THAT.
    5 Charlotte Raymond Felton - PG (North Carolina)
    I love this guy, even though his team beat Illini. A real fighter who plays loose.
    17 Indiana Danny Granger - SF (high school)
    Just a high school kid, hard to tell but was used due to Pacer injuries.
    21 Phoenix Nate Robinson - PG (UW)
    Lots of energy and never timid and just plain fun to watch.
    24 Houston Luther Head - PG (Illinois)
    Got a lot of playing time because of Tracy McGrady's injuries. Good shooter. I think he is a shooting guard though, not point.
    25 Seattle Johan Petro - C
    Bob Hill even started him this season sometimes.

As far as 2006 draft, I am hoping that Dee Brown goes in the first round. I think he would make a great Piston, because we need a speedy backup point guard. Also, he's one of the Fighting Illini.

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Danny Granger was a 4-year player at New Mexico, not a high school kid. Terrific player who the Pacers really came to rely on.

If we're talking Illinois players, the guy who'd be a good fit in Detroit is James Augustine. But the Pistons don't have a first this year, and he'll be long gone by then.

18. roscoe36

Petro was impressive (at times) but the other big man that Seattle drafted (whose name eludes me right now) was much better.

I had Granger on my fantasy team for much of the season. He's an excellent pick for them, in hindsight great insurance for the RonRon situation.

I think Head could play PG, it's a tough position to throw a rookie in to, especialy on team like Houston with so much injury and drama issues all year. Great shooter though. He has a bright future in the NBA.