2006 nfl draft

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Zander, May 6, 2006.

1. Zander

Zander First Round Draft Pick

It's about time the Lions draft defense! When they announce the lions were on the board with the 9th pick I was ready to pull out the rest of my hair if we went offense. I think Millen finally does get it. Defense wins games. He might have learned a thing or two from Lovie Smith and the Bears stingy defense. Don't need to put up big offensive numbers to win games, just need to get stops!

This draft by some was the worst ever but for me it was a great draft. From Ernie Sims all the way to our last pick (LB) Cannon. We drafted very talented players for a roster that was desperate for talent. Out of the 7 draft picks I see four that will start right away. Sims, Bullocks, Scott and Matua. The others will become very solid backups and special team players.

Also, If you think all of this years draft picks wont make the roster. Think again! Rod has a roster full of other coaches players. These 7 drafties are Rods men. So one should expect all of this years draft class to make the cut and replace some vets that have been assembled over the years that couldn't cut butter with a hot knife. Wont give names but you don't need to watch a whole lot of film to know who should be given their walking papers!
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Name names Zander! Throw a match on the fire!

I read that Rob Parker thinks CRog is in the long term plans.
  3. Zander

Are we talking about or very own Rob Parker from the Detroit free press? I know this is a user friendly forum but that guys a joke! I have no idea why the guy writes a column about the Lions when all he does is complain and hates on them every other article he writes! I dont know who knows less about the sport. Parker or O'Hara of the Detroit news.

The players I was speaking of in my last post are. Raiola, DeMulling, Backus (Can't believe we put the tag on the guy) Bly (If he doesn't keep his mouth shut) Maybe CRog (If he doesn't get his stuff together)
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think I understand why the Lions aren't making bold moves and trying to keep who they have. In a way, it could backfire on Millen, but Rod and his band of crazy coaches will be sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rod liked Raiola. The guy is scrappy, he's just physically outmatched.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I remember reading something a couple of weeks ago (I think it was right after the draft) where Rogers was saying he was surprised he was still with the team. He said he thought he would be gone for sure but that he wanted to stay.
  6. Zander

Darth Tater

I think they'll keep Crog on the roster another year. Unless of course, he screws up again! Heck, he only counts 500,000 against the cap. I hope he produces.
  7. Darth Tater

As a Sparty, I'm pulling for him. He has incredible talent and could really help the team if he could only stay healthy and sort out his personal issues. I'd like to see him get one more chance (only one).

Hopefully we have a quarterback who can get him the ball. I didn't like Harrington. I think McCown might be ok, but I'm not sure the Lions should have passed on Leinart once Huff was gone, even though they needed to badly fill needs on defense.
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was just reading an article today (detnews maybe?) about how Millen received several trade offers for C Rog during the draft.

The article also said that the Martz lead O will look to stretch the field with Rogers instead of having him run 3 and 5 yard slants which doesn't play to his strengths, those being his size and speed. Look for Rogers to go deep more times in one game this season than he has his entire career.
  9. Darth Tater

I meant they "badly needed to..." not needed to "badly fill"...they've "badly filled" enough spots over time as it is! :doh:
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Badly fill". I wouldn't have even complained.
    But we should never and I mean never draft a QB in the first RD again. For this org. it's a waste. Let's build everything else then let him step in.
    Then again if it isn't Millen doing the picking, we might be ok.
    They say Scott only did 17 reps. of 225 at the combine. Most Olinemen did twice that.
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, the knock on Scott is his strenght, but hopefully that will be something that is easily corrected.
  12. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I think the selections were ok, but I would liked to see them deal Harrington and maybe Rodgers. There were rumors here in KC for both players, but nothing ever happened.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I can't knock Sims skills, but are you telling me we couldn't have traded down and got a good LB without a loose brain bucket? And another pick.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Lionbacker.com has some good arts. about the draft. Most of which I agree 95%. Their opinion on Sims is: He had no conference awards or Nat. awards. He was a reach at best. But a need.
    FS was an "A" need.
    They also so question the truth of the management on getting "good" guys when 2 of the picks have character issues.
  15. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Sorry, but Lionbacker ain't all that. Sims was wanted by several teams and fit what they wanted as well. Good thing Buffalo didn't pick him. All the coaches who came from the Dungy line of Tampa2 defensive strategies wanted him bad because he fit what they needed to a T. We now have all 3 main components of this Defense in Cody, Sims and Bullocks. Which btw, mirrors the Bears now. You don't need awards to fit a need on your team for a position---how many award winning rookies are on the Pats?
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah that's why I didn't understand the need for Dline. Unless Cody is a bust. And BigDaddy doesn't come back. We filled needs. No sizzle. Steak but it's brought to the table late.