2006 Offseason Pistons Salaries

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 17, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Here is my updated and final "new" thread on the Pistons salary structure heading into the 2006/7 season.

Notes:

REVISED July 17th ~ #8, 10, 11 and 12

1) Guessed the division of Lindsey Hunter's two year deal. It is probably accurate within $250,000 per year.

2) Assumed Will Blalock will sign at least a two year minimum contract with the second season as a team option. The second year # is much higher than year one because % raises don't really come into effect when the minimum salary of a one year vet supersedes them.

3) Adjusted Nazr Mohammed's deal to the average salary (Mid-Level Exception is equal to average player salary for first year) as reported by ESPN. Assumed full 8% raises in subsequent years.

4) Kept Alex Acker's qualifying offer on the roster, assuming he will either take it, or negotiate a longer term deal with the team. Right now, he is a restricted free agent, however based on the "Gilbert Arenas Provision" in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, they really are powerless to match any higher offers because they used their exceptions on new free agents. Technically, they have Acker's Non-Bird rights, but that is only 120% of the last contract year amount, which is less than the qualifying offer so why they made him restricted is beyond me...

5) Flip Murray's deal is the maximum two year length allowed for the Bi-Annual Exception. Assumed maximum 8% raise in year 2.

6) Salary Cap and Tax Threshold #s used per ESPN report.

7) The Ronald Dupree and Maurice Evans Trade Exceptions count against the cap, but not against luxury tax as far as I know. This means that the exceptions are included to determine if a team is over the cap (and has restrictions in trade and free agency) but the amount of the Trade Exceptions is not taxable should the team exceed the Luxury Tax Threshold. As I have mentioned in the past, Trade Exceptions are like tokens. They do not count as "real" money.

8) You will note that the Pistons, based upon my projections for Blalock, Acker and the assumed "taken" team option on Amir Johnson, are fielding[strike] only a 14 man roster[/strike] a 15 man roster.

The Pistons have no more free agent money to spend on "new" talent unless that free agent player agrees to play for the league minimum (with the exception of Delk and Cato noted below) and they give up Blalock or Acker (note the roster position #s on the left hand side of Acker and Blalock are now highlighted to indicate they are PROJECTIONS).

They could;

* Sign their own draft pick Cheikh Samb to a minimum deal

* Sign any other free agent to a minimum deal

* Re-sign Tony Delk or Kelvin Cato to better than minimum deals because the Pistons hold "rights" on them. That is assuming that the Pistons did not renounce their rights to those players, allowing them to entire the general free agent pool.

Since there is no benefit to renounce those rights until they sign elsewhere, we will assume the Pistons can still bring back Delk or Cato to deals starting at a maximum of $1,366,200 and $14,946,000 respectively. The minimum amounts are $1,178,348 and $1,071,225.

9) Trade Exceptions are included in the Pistons Annual salary figure. For Cap purposes, the annual salary may be used. For Tax purposes, the Pistons are approx. $8,257,502 UNDER the tax level.

The Dupree Trade Exception expires (off the books) in October 2006.

10) Added Ronald Dupree with a two year minimum contract offer (amount goes up in year two because he will have another year of seniority). Year two is a player option per the Detroit Free Press.

11) Revised Nazr Mohammed's deal to 5 years which clocks it in at the reported $30 million total. Year 5 is apparently an option (per the Associated Press) and I decided it had to be a team option. No way Dumars let's him decide his own fate at age 33.

12) Removed forward projections for Will Blalock and Amir Johnson. I only included current salaries or minimum offers req'd for 06/07. This makes 2007/8 forward more accurate but also more open ended.

[​IMG]
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks Micro... nice work.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The good news is that each time you explain this I understand more and more of it.

The bad news is that each time you explain this I understand more and more how deep the hole is.
  4. roscoe36

@ dba - that is the idea. Anyone willing to look at this seriously will see the realities of our situation. Fact is always more powerful than an opinion.

Hopefully in the next week or so I will explain the ramifications of going into tax territory. That should be a big eye opener.

Btw, if nothing changes personnel wise this season, you can expect that we will either

1) Give Billups a deal starting at $12~13 million and do little to no FA shopping

or

2) Lowball Billups letting him leave and spend our MLE for future flexibility

or

3) S&T Billups taking back new talent (that hopefully fills holes) and do little shopping.

The Bi-Annual Exception is Bi-Annual. We won't have it to use next year.
  5. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Thanks for taking the time on info.Also I'll take options 2 or 3 leaning towards option 2.I think Billups opts out and leaves after this season and we get nadda in return.If there is going to be little free agent movement form our end of things we better see what we have sitting on our bench before it rots and leaves along with the starters getting older.Didn't realize how tricky the cap actually is.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Excellent job, Roscoe the Accountant.
  7. roscoe36

You know I am just biding my time until Joe calls with a front office job. ;)
  8. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

:mad: This tells me one thing, Billups is going to ask for at least $10-$12 mil a season. That is bad news.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hard to imagine he isn't going to want to be in the same range as Rip and Tay. And if he has a decent year, also hard for me to imagine that isn't his worth - either here or somewhere else.
  10. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Regarding Trade Material Would Any One Be Interested In Dale Davis? Is There A Possibility Of Trading Him And Using Our 2.5 Mil In Trade Exceptions To Get A 6mil Player?? Is There A Player In That Price Range That Would Help?
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

If that's your goal I hope you haven't posted any naughty comments about that nice gentleman in the windbreaker.
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I believe the interest in D.D. will be closer to the trade deadline when teams have had a chance to evaluate their playoff chances... we can't combine Trade exceptions in a deal, so the most salary we could get in return for Dale Davis is 5M (Davis 3.5 & Evans T.E. of 1.5)
  13. roscoe36

The one thing I have on Brown and Carlisle is that I will whisper the magic words that make every hobbitt squeal in ecstasy.

"We can make more money!"
  14. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

What About Grant Hill Rumors? Any Chance Of That? Does The Magic Have That Big Of A Money Problem? Would We Have Any Problem With Signing Him? Should We Hope??
  15. roscoe36

Unreliable.
    There is always a chance of more rumours.
    Not really.
    Not if he wants to come to Detroit and play for $1 million dollars.
    You can always hope.
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great job! Thanks for taking the time to do that.
  17. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Abandon all hope! Magic fans don't see a buyout. His salary comes off the books and that's that. He has a lot of value to that team.
  18. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Great job.

Okay, Dec. 15 we trade Nazr and D. Davis to Milwaukee for Jamaal Magloire. Talk about a long shot. I have heard that Milwaukee may be making Magloire available and I thought he would be the best replacement for Ben Wallace. But we can't make the salaries match, without trading a core player, until Dec. 15.

OR Chauncey and Sheed for A I!!! (just kidding).
  19. roscoe36

Milwaukee has a lot of money invested in Dan Gadzuric (the backup) and an obvious first overall pick investment in Bogut.

I can't see them picking up Mohammed's 4 year deal just to get Dale Davis' $3.5 million off the books. We would need to sweeten the deal considerably, if they would even go for it.

Unfortunately, Mohammed's deal is a bit of a trade albatross in the near term. I truly believe Detroit over paid for him and with so many years left on the deal, he won't be much sought after only 2 months into the season unless he really tears the league up.
  20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. I don't see Nazr as a long term investment. He was clearly a short term, stop gap, holy crap I can't believe Ben really left great now what do I do plan.

That's why I was surprised/pissed about the 4 year deal. I was thinking two years. Use him this year since we didn't have many other options and then hopefully trade his expiring deal next year.