2007-08 general league thread (non-Pistons)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Nov 2, 2007.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I know it's a business, but I can't help but miss his hustle and drive. When people say that Chauncey, Rip, Tay, Dice, Sheed and all the other Pistons are underdogs they are somewhat right. Ben was in a class of his own though, and it showed on the court. Sometimes you want to see a crappy play fixed by Ben getting an offensive tip in instead of a perfectly executed play.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Surprises so far:

Indiana (3-0): I thought it was a horrible move to fire Carlisle, but it does not look that way so far.

Atlanta (1-0): Beating Dallas in their season opener. It's only one game, but it is against a title contender.

L.A. Lakers (1-1): Embarrassing the Phoenix Suns on their home court. Lakers bench scores 65, and Kobe only scores 16 in the win.

Disappointments so far:

Chicago (0-3): A young team that has "grown up". Many people were predicting this team to be dominant in the East. So far they have not been solid.

Washington (0-3): The Wizards are an above average team that has made the playoffs the last few years. So far they have stumbled in the season.

Cleveland (1-1): The Cavs needed every one of LeBron's 45 points to reach 1-1. The Cavs could not reach agreements with some of their players and it looks like the Eastern Conference Champs will have many tough nights.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

What gives with Big Ben?

Another horrendous game for him 27 minutes 5 points 2 rebounds 2 assists 2 blocks and no steals

It is one thing to have your skill deteriorate because of age. It is another thing to have them disappear overnight.

Maybe he is pouting over Kobe possibly coming to the Bulls and taking over the #1 king of hill spot there. I don't know what it is. Maybe he is hurt and playing with some sort of injury. Maybe it is a personal matter that is distracting him.

To tell you all the truth I am a little concerned that something is going on here other than just deterioration of his skill due to aging.

:hoops:
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think he had an ankle sprain recently, but he still only grabbed 2 rebounds. None of the Bulls have done well though.
  5. buddahfan

Well I sure hope it is just an injury, but not a serious one. If he is out there playing on a bum ankle that is risky stuff which could blow out his career at his age. Look what happened to AJ's Achilles when he came back to soon from his ankle sprain and he is only 20. If they hadn't caught the problem with the Achilles as quickly as they did it could have resulted in some major injury to him.

Marvin Harrison has to make a choice tomorrow. According to the doctors who cleared him because he really wants to play they said that in his current condition he can play but that there is a risk because the injury is not fully healed that if he is hit in the wrong place or cuts too sharply etc, that his knee condition could become chronic and a chronic knee injury for a 35 year old wide receiver basically means he is finished.

I know players in all sports risk career threatening injuries every time they compete, even in practice, and it is tough not to push your body since have been trained to do that your whole life, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to become the next Jim Otto.

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It must be an injury with Ben. He may have had a bad game here and there, but now it's three in a row. Just doesn't look good.
  7. mikhail1973

Fouls come fast, make Hinrich furious on ChicagoSports.com
  8. buddahfan

Sunday Nov 4th Game of the day.

Boston at Toronto. 2:30 EST.

An early gage to see how good these EC playoff contenders are. Could be more exciting than the Colts and Pats game

9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Pats and Colts are undefeated in the middle of their seasons. That is a better game than Toronto against Boston.
  10. buddahfan

I understand you. For you better football teams make a better game, whereas for me a good basketball game among the top teams, which TO and Boston are is better than any game in any other sport regardless of who is playing in whatever sport.

Rarely would I ever choose to watch any competitive event in any other sport, except Patrick in IRL and pairs ice dancing, than a basketball game regardless of who is playing in the basketball game, so basketball for me is almost always the better game.

Fair enough.

11. buddahfan

Doc Rivers' dad passed unexpectedly passed away this morning.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It actually has turned out to be a very good game. 78-78 at the end of the 4th quarter.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Ford hit a 3 to tie the game with 5 seconds left, but Ray Allen hit his 7th 3 pointer for the win right after that. Boston wins 98-95.
  14. buddahfan

Great game.

Check out the minutes of the Boston Big Three. They are each averaging over 38 minutes a game after three games with Allen close to 40. No way they can keep this up for the year.

KG and RA are the keys for Boston. Either one goes down the Celtics might as well mail it in. When KG was out with foul trouble in early part of the 4th Bosh ate up the Celtics.

I don't see the Celtics as a threat to the Pistons at all.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Celtics and Rapts will be in the playoffs no doubt. But Buddha is right because if one of the big three go down whether it is a prolonged injury or foul out with the game still in doubt, they can be beaten. KG sat out crunch time in regulation with 5 fouls, but scored at least 10-11 points in the OT.

Good defensive effort by Delfino who is getting minutes he could only dream about getting in Motown.
  16. buddahfan

I almost forgot. The Raptors had Delfino on KG at the end of the game.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think people are over hyping the Celtics, but a team with 3 all stars is a threat to anyone. The Cavs had LeBron and a bunch of role players and look what happened. All it can take is James Posey hitting open threes like Gibson did last year.
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree...especially with a coach like Flip. It doesn't take much for a talentless team to outfox him. What makes people think all of a sudden something has changed?

Look, this guy has had umpteen opportunities to win in the playoffs. He screws up every time. Enjoy the regular season wins fellas. Joe can force him to play the rookies all he wants, sure. But in the end we all know how this story will end.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The only way things change is if Flip changes. We cannot see that until the playoffs though, which is months away. It's a little bit irritating.
  20. mikhail1973

FOX Sports on MSN - NBA - 10 things: Adelman turning it up in Houston

Lots of interesting things in the article.