2007-08 general league thread (non-Pistons)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dumars4Ever, Nov 2, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Ohio.com - Concentrating on the positives
  2. mikhail1973

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Webber is the Pistons insurance policy...give him a job working with the trainer or in the Pistons front office until we need him. We don't need him helping out the Bulls, Cavs or Celtics.

If it comes down to the fact that we don't need him to actually suit up and play, then he still gets a ring for being in the organization and they can we give him a championship t-shirt and cap the night we win to party and celebrate with the players :party::pound:
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can see it now. The Cavs pick up Davis and Webber, and make us look foolish for not letting them play to their strengths when they were here. And they beat us in the ECF again.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They may as try to do just that.

They won't have to pay them that much or commit for more than a year. Adding 2 vet big men with tons of playoff experience can't hurt.

I'd still rather have either one of these guys over Dupree, Nazr, or Samb.
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I just wish that they would find a way to pry Nazr and Flip from us. Flip would love to return to the Cavs??

Then we can make fools of them during the playoffs.

:hoops:
  7. buddahfan

Bynum continues to average a double double 10 PPG and 10 RPG, both numbers rounded off, in about 24 minutes a game.

8. buddahfan

Phil Jackson choses Kobe as Co-Captain.

Is this what they call a back office management decision? LOL

Bulletin: Bryant praises Bynum - Los Angeles Times

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bulls getting smashed by the Raptors tonight. Raptors up by 34 after 3. Embarrassing for the Bulls playing at home, hearing plenty of boos.

Raptors are looking brilliant, sharing the ball, draining shots, playing D. Delfino has 16 so far, including three 3's in the 3rd Q.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:pound:If the Pistons pulled out a win on Thursday this would be even better.
  11. mikhail1973

Bulls are horrible. I still don't get how Pistons managed to lose to those guys. I guess "Any Given Sunday..."
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The Pacers had a bizarre loss at home tonight against Denver. Indy went for 46 in the first quarter (!) and led 74-56 at halftime...and still ended up losing 113-106!
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

From the AP recap of the Bulls' loss to the Raptors:
    Wow. They really might be falling apart over there.
  14. buddahfan

Another big win by the Celtics. They are on cruise control and are making the Pats look like a second rate undefeated bunch of cheaters.

I must admit that the Celtics early play has taken me by surprise. I figured that they would be good but except for I believe the Toronto game they have cruised by everyone.

However, the minutes of the Big three continue to pile up.

They all logged at least 40 minutes tonight with RA going all 48 minutes.

Through 5 games

Pierce 38 MPG
    KG 39 + MPG
    RA 40 + MPG

There career averages before this year

Pierce 37 MPG and 76 games a year over the last 8 years
    KG 38 MPG and 77 games a year over his 12 year career
    RA 37 MPG and only 59 games a year over the last 7 years

So at this time only RA is playing more minutes per game than he has averaged throughout his career.

Now Karl Malone played in 80 or more games for 17 of his 19 year career and averaged over 37 minutes a game for his career. So there is a precedent, and there may be others, for at least a big man playing almost 40 minutes a game over his entire career and never going down with an injury except during his last year when he really shouldn't have been playing anyway.

Michael averaged over 38 MPG over 71 games a year over 15 years. He was as people might recall injured in two separate seasons that limited his games played during those two years to under 20 games in each season. Other than that he was pretty much injury free

So there are two examples of stars that played heavy minutes over long careers with relatively few injuries. So it might be possible that the Big Three will get through the year unscathed and still have enough to perform admirably in the playoffs.

Which brings me to my question.

If the Pistons are so well conditioned and have such few injuries how come our guys can't play over 33-35 minutes a game without wearing down at the end of the year, especially when a lot of the time the starting unit walks the ball up the court?

It must be that the some NBA players are just capable of handling more time than others without having the same negative affects to their game as those with less stamina and a more fragile body.

Michael Jordan Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When people say tiredness is all in your head it is true. Most of the time your body is not physically worn out, but chemicals are released throughout the body that makes you feel tired. Fatigue has been a factor in the Pistons playoff runs after 05, but determination, execution, and leadership failures accounts for majority of the shortcomings. It might not be the 40 mpg, but the fact that opponents figured out the Pistons game plan, which tends to become stagnant. The Pistons don't adjust the game plan or sub in any other players and the Pistons lose.

Even if tiredness is a main factor you cannot judge the Boston Celtics yet. The same goes for the Pistons. We will see what happens later on in the season.
  16. mikhail1973

Portland beats Dallas. Didn't expect 3-3 start out of Portland team. Their youngsters are playing better. Dallas didn't look good at all. Probably still basking in the glow of the win against Warriors.
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Didn't someone actually ask the question, "Will the Celts be better than the Knicks this year?" lol.

Anyone who thought this team wouldn't be that good was just kidding themselves.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The C's did a great job of filling in the holes with retreads. They didn't have this type of depth on trade day but they managed to put some fringe NBA talent on a team that was 3 stars and a D-league roster
  19. LA Dre

I watched the end of this game.. When I turned it on in the early part of the 4th it was 92-55 Rapts and I had to adjust my glasses to see if the score was correct..I too now wonder how the Pistons lost to the Bulls and how some so called NBA experts pick them to win the title...I think some of these same folks thought that the Kobe trade was a done deal and gave them the benefit of the doubt.

As the camera panned the starters on the bench, I could not tell if they were embarrased or frustrated. I heard some chants of Kobe, Kobe at the end, but wasn't sure if it were the fans or Skiles and his coaching staff that were yelling it:)

I am not sure if Kobe can help this team if Gordon or Deng move to LA.
  20. LA Dre

They open the season with 3 losses and then grab three straght victories. Their defense is actually better than expected. Brandon Roy scored a carrer high 32 points tonight and the last thing he said to the reporter as he left the floor is "we have to keep this winning streak going in our next game vs Detroit." They got two days to rest up for us. Hopefully we don't take them lightly.