2007/2008 NBA Preseason News and Notes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Oct 1, 2007.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I was actually thinking that, but I think since he won't be 19 until Dec, that it is most likely that he will eventually fill out is long frame and maybe even grow some more like AJ has over the last 2 years.

If Durant gets stronger even without getting bigger he will be able to get to the rack a lot more and maybe even develop an effective post up game. There is no question that the guy can shoot the rock, from short and long distances and has a very long wing span, plus lots of hops.

He needs to fill out. Not so much as Cheikh did and still does, but still needs to put at least 15 - 20 pounds of muscle on in order to have a complete game on offense, because he certainly has the ability.

But right now today, I would agree with your description of him.

I think he has a better chance of filling out than Hayes does of developing an effective dribble penetration game, which is what gets you to the foul line more than anything else.

:hoops:
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Agreed. I was just making a Smart Alec comment on Durant's performance. :MusicBigGrin:
  3. mikhail1973

4. mikhail1973

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I watched "NBA Fit" on NBAtv last night. The show detailed the off season workouts of a handful of players.

Gilbert Arenas' was a whacky. He made 100,000 jump shots. It came out to 1,300 per day I believe.

But the really impressive one was Deng. It was freaky how hard he has been working.

Some of the stuff they showed was:
    • football drills where he pushes the resistance sled in front of him
    • he has to move a 380 lb tractor tire by flipping it over and over.
    • he puts on a 40lb weight vest and jumps to differenent platforms to increase his vert. Has to land without letting a glass fall off the edge. This works his "decelleration" muscles, which enables him to jump again sooner.
    • He has a huge bucket of rice that he has to put his hands in and excercise them in different ways (besides strengthening, it is supposed to prevent finger jams)
    • and then he just does some other atypical things with his trainer.
    He's gonna be really good this year. I see why they don't want to include him in a package for Kobe.
  6. mikhail1973

If they trade him, they'd have nobody left to play with Kobe, that's the problem with this possible trade. They would turn into another Lakers.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Apparently, Kobe said that if Deng left, he would veto a trade to the Bulls. So, he is looking for his Pippen, and he things Deng might be the one.

The Bulls have so many other pieces that I'm shocked, but glad that they can't work something out.
  8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't think many people have talked about this specific angle very much, but isn't it possible that all this Kobe trade talk will dampen the Bulls' enthusiasm somewhat? Almost everyone on their roster is being openly discussed as trade bait for Kobe in every single media outlet. Couldn't that mess with their chemistry and/or "will to win," to some extent? Maybe not much, but I have a hard time believing that it won't affect them at all.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Deng, Hinrich, Nocioni, and Ben Wallace seem to be safe from the realistic trade talk. Tyrus and Noah probably don't care.

Ben Gordon though, it sounds like he is distracted anyway:

Ben Wallace's salary has created a measuring stick for others. Not good for them. (also, Big Ben better tell Little Ben to shut his mouth).

Brash Gordon unlikely to get deal done :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Bulls
  10. mikhail1973

Nobody is going to give Gordon Wallace's money. Those deals only happen once in a while. And Gordon is nowhere the impact player that Wallace was at the time he got the deal.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, but he's not trying to hear that. He thinks that he more of impact player right now, and he could be right.