1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2007/2008 Tigers Offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    ESPN - Tigers fill SS hole, deal for Renteria from Braves - MLB

I don't like giving up Jurrjens, especially since we don't even have a full rotation. Guy showed so much promise. This is really strange from my point of view.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah I hate that we had to give up Jurrjens too, the one bright spot in the pitching rotation during the September swoon. We saw great pitching from the Redsox in the post seaons and only which the Tigers could have been that dominant. That being said, we still got strikeout king at 3B, should we go after the WS MVP Mike Lowell who is now a FA. Cheaper than me-me-me A-Rod. Of course then the BoSox would sign A-Rod

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is great!

Trading a guy who had a couple good games, then immediately got injured for an all star SS who bats in the 300's?

We don't have Casey anymore, right? So now Guillen can move to 1st base.

Ideally, we also get a premier 3rd baseman and Inge can be a utility man/ backup 3rd.

4. mikhail1973

I would wonder what Renteria Tigers got? The guy that was great for the Braves, or the guy who totally flamed out in Boston? Also, we know that most likely Inge is not going anywhere - is virtually untradeable with that contract. Lets hope Tigers sign a veteran pitcher and some outfield help.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One thing that jumped out at me. Renteria is a righty, but hit .323 against right handed pitchers last year.

So, we essentially got a left handed hitter, which we needed as well.

Also, he reached base safely in 130 games last year! He batted .818 with the bases loaded (9-11 with 17 RBI's).

He has had playoff struggles, but I don't think it is because of the pressure. For instance, his career batting average in the World Series is .304 in 46 at bats.

He is a 5 time all-star who has delivered a World Series winning hit (coincidently for Jim Leyland).

6. mikhail1973

If this is who we get - sign me for Renteria fan club.
    :MusicBigGrin:

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even if he doesn't play well, we still aren't giving up much, unless Jurjens has a true breakout year.

The Tigers developed youth, showcased it to increase the stock value, then parlayed it into a proven player.

Textbook move.

8. LA Dre

That it was :nod: :amen:

9. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Still thinking about this deal. I can't say it was a bad move. I don't know much about the other kid the Braves got, Hernandez.

Whatever happened to getting Jack Wilson? I agree with Mikhail, I'm worried about getting the Renteria that stunk in Beantown.

10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

That certainly solidifies the left side of the infield. Even if he has lost some range; Inge can help him by covering some of his ground for him. Inge had a bad year at the plate last year. He will not have two in a row.

11. mikhail1973

Hernandez may yet grow to be a solid major leaguer. However, we have Granderson, Maybin, and a couple of years of Maggs, so our outfield is set.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Jurrjens looked damn good before going on the DL. I hope Dombrowski knows what he's doing.

13. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

This was a huge move. We will now have 3 of the top 7 hitters in baseball. (AVG.)

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It's only a bad deal if Jurrjens turns out to be another John Smoltz (that deal bit us in the %%%%%) and Bonderman turns out to be another ............Bonderman.

15. LA Dre

Yeah heard that...the Smoltz for Doyle Alexander deal in 87 was a pisser. It got the Tigers thick into the pennant race that year, but they folded the next 19 years...:yellowprison:

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this is why you build up your farm system. we just got the NL All-Star Game starting shortstop for 2 prospects. sounds good to me.

17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, we've still got Verlander, Porcello, and Miller as our good-young arms. A lot of teams would kill for that kind of young talent.

As long as we make a move for an upgrade at 3rd, and solidify the rotation, I'll be fine without Jair.

18. Nemo

I think the rotation can be good for years to come. We need somebody here to mentor the young arms. I thought it was Kenny Rodgers, and it still may be. We just need somebody to keep their heads on straight and allow them to develop into the good pitchers that they are.

19. Nemo

Overall, I'm impressed with this acquisition. This will solidify our team and help us to become better defensively. Other newspapers were in awe of the deal, the same way they felt after we snagged Sheffield early last off season.

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

How about Schilling AND Rogers? Schil is writing good-bye letters to his teammates. ESPN - Schilling writes goodbye letters to Red Sox mates - MLB
    I think Rogers is at the end of his rope. We need insurance. And Miller has a long way to go. I don't know if he'll ever be good. He only has command of one pitch right now: the straight ball.