2007 FIBA Tournament of the Americas

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by Dumars4Ever, Aug 22, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, the shot looks whack. The one he made was a forced shot over a defender that was in his grill.

At least he found a way to contribute.

2. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

He's the one guy needed on the floor to counterbalance all of the superstar egos.

J Kidd will distribute, but Prince will play D and not mope on O cause he's the last option.

BTW, Delfino came strong tonight, 15 and 8 with 2 steals.

3. max

max All-Star

Exactly. Thats probably one of the reasons why the coach likes him so much. He is not out there trying to be the MVP or anything.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure how it is physically possible for Howard to get 4 boards while Tay gets 12.

It just seemed like Prince had a gravitational pull and the ball was going straight to him every time. It is entirely possible that it was the luck of the bounce.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

that's what I want to see!! I wish i could watch the games.

6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

mello

did anybody hear it when i think it was bill walton that said mello admitted that playing under lb hurt his confidence. if lb could hurt his confidence in 3 months imagine what he was doing to darko in those 2 seasons.

back to fiba.
    this is the best usa team since back when they were putting the dream teams together. mello is the international man. we have also provided some shooters to help with those zones. i wonder how we will do against the euro style teams because these american teams still play kinda an american style. we will maybe have trouble with the euro teams.

7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Re: mello

Darko had a tough coach at Homofarm...I doubt if he was that mentally fragile when he got coached by LB. Give him a little more credit than that.

I sure hope Prince doesn't get worn down.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

By that standard, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade went on to have spectacular seasons after playing for Brown in what many consider to be "not enough minutes" during the Olympics. I think Melo had a pretty good season too.

Not saying Brown is perfect or the coach for any and all players, but a case can be made for the players developing mental toughness under fire.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I tried to watch the game today, but all I saw was the USA team trying to run up the floor faster than Bill Walton's mouth. According to Walton, everyone else is playing for second...Once the score got above 25 it was no fun watching it anymore.

I hate to bring up old storylines, but if we had drafted mello, we'd be in the midst of a Piston dynasty even if LB didn't play him his rookie year....:stirthepot:

10. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

:deadhorse:lalala:

Why Lord Jesus, do we always digress??

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Delfino with 20 points, 11 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 1 TO in a win over Mexico tonight.

12. bball jay

delfino has always been a great rebounder. i love that about his game.

13. bball jay

mello had a tough coach in college but his confidence was still hurt by lb. i'm in no way saying darko couldn't or can't recover from it. i just found it interesting that mello was bothered by lb mentally.

mello, wade and lebron were also able to go to nba teams and be the man after lb. darko had no such luxury after lb. playing heals all wounds. you will all see this year.

we'd also have a dynasty if we had kept and played arroyo, delfino and darko.

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko has said repeatedly that it wasn't the coaching (he's said LB was no tougher than his Hemofarm coach) it was the DNPs and lack any meaningful chance to play that got him down.

15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Carmello would have demanded a trade 3 years ago, after being stuck playing 10 mpg behind Prince.

16. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LB would not have played him that much during that "championship season", but he would have got more minutes than the HVC and eventually during that sophmore season possibly move ahead of Tay, since the fresh prince played most of the 04-05 season in a passive mode. Either of them would have been a great six man averaging 20 minutes a game. But alas as you say...being the number 2 pick, he as well as the NBA would have expected him to be starting that second year no matter if we were the defending champs or not. After all didn't everyone demand that Darko play too...:sssh:

Sorry for the old school rant, but 3 years of disappointments since the rings....... :focus: OK, where were we, oh yeah the FIBA stuff> Btazil within 15 near halftime..so finally they found some competition

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This one balances out with his 1-for-7 shooting game the other night.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Brazil hung in there for most of the first half, but the U.S. went on a big run going into halftime, and the rest of the game was blowout city. They won by 37, after being up 50 at one point. These guys are playing hard but still having a lot of fun together.

As mentioned in another thread, Tay had to be helped off the floor after coming down awkwardly in the first half, and there was no further report the rest of the game. So hopefully there'll be more info on that tomorrow.

20. max

max All-Star

Its hard to judge those couple of weeks under LB at the Olympics as any indication. Given a full season his methods may have made Mello a better player a lot sooner. Mello was not that great in his 1st 2 seasons. Browns problem was he was spending too much time teaching. Don't have the time to teach in that short time span.

This is a great team the US has. Thing is when the Olympics rolls around it will be different with a different coach.