2007 VSL Game 2 report from The Low

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lurker, Jul 9, 2007.

1. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Here's The Low's report on Summer League Game 2, between the Pistons and the Grizzlies. You can also read this report at BadBoySummerCamp.com. Thanks, Low! :thumb:

2007 SL Game 2 Recap - Detroit vs. Memphis
    by The Low
    July 9, 2007
    DET vs MEM – VSL Game 2

Before I get started, I would like to send special thanks to this ****:

[​IMG]

Who graciously sauntered into the row in front of me, promptly headed to the group of four empty seats and decided to drop his giant blackberry using head directly in front of me, blocking ALL of my filming efforts while pretending not to see me sitting there and remaining there for the entire 3rd qtr. I love people.

Points of note:

1st Qtr
    DET started this game playing pretty good defense while getting considerably better execution from their offensive sets as opposed to game 1. Afflalo looks very aggressive to start the game and also like the fact that Stuckey looks to be more under control as things get under way.

Samb started today’s game much quicker on his defensive rotations and really wasn’t getting beat too bad on defense today. I did notice, however, that he’s picking up a lot of fouls. He’s maybe just a step slow.

I didn’t really notice much early from Mejia and Maxiell is business as usual with his aggressiveness

2nd Qtr
    The 2nd unit didn’t look very effective today. The starters had clearly maintained control and the reserves didn’t do much to maintain that lead. There were a lot more turnovers, but at points when the starters returned, they managed to keep up the pace when MEM looked as if they would take control. DET traded baskets for the latter part of the qtr and did surrender much of their lead.

3rd Qtr
    There was a pretty standard start to the 3rd, nothing spectacular, as far as I could see around the giant scalp in front of me. DET spent a lot of the 3rd picking up fouls as MEM was being very aggressive driving the lane. DET’s offense wasn’t much to speak of as they resorted to a lot of jumpers in the 3rd and they weren’t very proficient at that point.

4th Qtr
    By the fourth, both teams were trading baskets inconsistently and not looking as if either really wanted to win the game. However, MEM seemed to hit some what of a dry spell and DET took advantage by getting some timely buckets, although inconsistently. As the qtr wore on DET got exceedingly aggressive driving the lane and were doing a great job of attacking the basket. At this stage, DET took the lead for good, although, they did cause themselves some unnecessary sweat by picking up a few fouls that put MEM on the line with the opportunity to get back in control. However, DET held on and picked up a nice win in the 2nd game of this year’s VSL.

Individual Notes:

Stuckey

I must admit, Stuckey looked much more under control and aggressive today. He wasn’t so much dominant as he was consistent through today’s game. He attacked at the right moments and was quite successful when he did. Overall, he turned in a pretty nice performance today.

Afflalo
    Afflalo was very aggressive to start today’s game. He attacked when he had opportunities and defended well throughout the game. He wasn’t a standout, but was very steady.

Samb
    Samb did a much better job on his defensive rotations today. He still needs to get a grasp on when to challenge so as not to pick up needless fouls, although, I felt he picked a couple that he really didn’t deserve. The officials seemed very selective.

Mejia
    Sammy was somewhat of a non-factor today. Not in a bad way, but there just wasn’t much to gauge from his play today. He did knock down a shot or two, but really didn’t have a major imprint on today’s game.

Maxiell
    Again, Max was Max. He was aggressive as usual and I think he has figured out how to maintain his consistency, so it should be very interesting to find out how well he does with consistent minutes (fingers crossed).

Today’s game wasn’t mind-blowing; however, it was a very good display of execution, consistent effort, and aggressive play. This game showed us that the top 5 or 6 guys on this SL roster learn relatively quickly and adapt/adjust well to new concepts. They looked like 5 strangers in game one and managed to gel very well by game 2. That should be an encouraging sign for anyone wondering if this year’s crop will be able to adapt to the nuances of the NBA level of play.

Good showing today.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good job again by Low although I think he should have been more aggresive in challenging the big headed blackberry guy. Maybe because it's only the second game or what, I don't know, but normally I don't think Low would let that guy establish position down low.

I look for Low to be more aggresive next game, possibly using an "accidentally" spilled beer or soft drink to clear some space.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

In defense of Low it seems like the guy is packing and I don't mean his clothes. How did he sneak it by security?

:hoops:
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I bet that guy was blogging for grizzliesforum.com
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:pound:@ Bills

Was that a play station the guy had? Man, I was getting ticked at that SOB just reading about his antics. Well, there is a tool in every crowd, and you just know they are always going to find The Low and mess up his evening.:pound:

Low, seriously, your coverage runs circles around the professionals. It's crazy that they get paid to do what you do for free and much better.

Oh, Low calorie salad dressing works well too.

[​IMG]
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think that is why his coverage is better, is because he does it for free.

:hoops:
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good observations Low. I saw the game from afar via NBA TV today, and agreed with your assessments.

Remember if Amir decides to agree in principle to a contract and play on Wednesday or Thursday, I expect to see your Mic or recorder in his face scooping the other beat writers with a quick interview...:)
  8. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think that Mejia actually had a pretty decent stamp on the game defending Rudy Gay and doing a darn good job on limiting him.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...just HAD to be contrary, eh?

LOL....just kidding. Thanks guys. It's become an issue of pride with me. If these guys (professional) can't do any better than us guys...we'll soon be the "big guys"
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Low, you the man.
    Chill ...you don't own all the seats. Still looks like you had a full court view... don't follow Bills advice. You're better than that.
    I wanted to be there but I'm moving again ...money envolved...
    -
    Although the players may be killen' themselves the coaches are looking for styles and methods not wins.
    Hope to hook up before it's over.
  11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Actually I agree with everything else you wrote. And I really appreciate the work you put in to get all this info to us. Keep it rolling.
    :)
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Great reporting and thanks for effort.
  13. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the report Low. Nice summary.

That stadium looked pretty open. I would imagine you could move around if someone else sits in front of you.
  14. Pwn Toney

True, but center court / top of the arena, just below NBA TV cameras is prime real estate.
  15. Pwn Toney

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

low. you're the man.

i'm still waiting patiently for nba.com to put the game up, so thanks for the video to wet my appetite. quick observations - that pass from samb to jmax was impressive, jmax is sick, and stuckey is quick.
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good assessment Low. Man what a card, that guy who plopped in front of you.

He must own the place or something lol.
  18. umichjenks

umichjenks Second Round Draft Pick

Maxiel looks more athletic than ever in these videos. Nice work on the reporting and the videos. His jumper looks a lot smoother than last year too, I'm glad to see he worked on it over the summer.
  19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

nba.com better have the recap video up by the time i get home from work!! of course our game and san antonio were the only ones not online by last night
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Low, you're a rock. Thanks for keeping us East Coasters in step.