2008/9 Novice League Info and Discussion

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with Mo (although, I would hope that you'd find a way to play both Kobe AND Redd, but that's beside the point :laugh:)

There are pros and cons to both weekly and daily rosters. Everyone will have their own preference (personally, I prefer weekly), but only 1 format can be chosen. Being as this is the Novice league, Weekly is probably a better option for getting your feet wet in fantasy sports.
  2. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I still don't know what the hell you guys are talking about, but I'll learn as I go since this is all new to me.

When looking at my roster, what does Util and BN next to the player names on my roster?

And what exactly is "setting my roster" for the week? :D
  3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Seriously, is it that big a deal?

Maybe I had something going on in my life that was more important than the draft. Isn't it a novice league? I wasn't aware I'd be letting anyone down by not showing up. At least I pre-ranked the players for the autodraft.

Again, sorry I brought it up. Geez.
  4. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

FYI to everyone.

There are no hard feelings.........this is "fanasty" basketball.

I had just never heard of weekly roster settings and I didn't have time to check the league to make sure of what they were. I didn't even know that was an option.

I wasn't aware that asking a question was considered unappreciative or I woulda left it alone. I have better things to do if it's gonna be a hassle.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

That smiley is old

I like this new one :bath1:
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I PM'd you.
  7. roscoe36

Util are roster spots any player at any position can fill. You can play 2 more centers, or 2 more PGs, or a SG and a PF. I use these to put my two best players in after I fill all of the specific position slots.

BN is bench. Guys who are on your team (you own their rights) but they are not in the playing lineup.
    I hope you're kidding. lol
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

does it count somehow that one of your player in FL was in winning side? Or is it stats what counts only?

And what does this number with "waiver" mean? ( I have 8)
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When a team drops a player he goes on waivers for a period of time. During that period any other team can claim him. If more than one team does so the team with the highest waiver priority gets him. The priority is set based on draft order (the first shall be last and all that stuff) and changes as teams pick up players.

Here's the section from the Yahoo rules. The rules can be found from a link on most of the league pages.

All players dropped from a team's roster are immediately placed on waivers. During this waiver period—two days in Public Leagues and anywhere from zero to seven days in Custom Leagues—anyone in the league can claim the player.
    So, if a player in a Public League is dropped on a Wednesday afternoon, all managers can claim him until Friday at 11:59 p.m. PT. The player is then assigned to their new team roughly 4-8 hours after the claim deadline.

To find the length of the waiver period in your league, check the League Settings page, which can be found via a link on your League Overview page.
    If more than one team claims the same player, the team that's highest on the Waiver Priority List is given the rights to the player. The priority list is initially set based on the reverse of the draft order. However, each time you add a waived player to your roster, you're pushed to the back of the list. This "rolling" list stays in effect for the entire season.

To find your current position in the waiver priority list, please go to the Managers List via your League Overview page.

If nobody claims a player during the waiver period, he becomes a free agent. In a Private League with no waiver period, all dropped players automatically become free agents.

If you place a player on waivers, you cannot reclaim that player until after the waiver period has expired. If, however, you decide that you don't want to waive the player, you can cancel the transaction—provided it has not yet been processed—by viewing it from your team page and clicking "Cancel."

If you place a claim on more than one waived player at a time, each pending transaction appears on your Team Page along with its current position in your waiver order. All new claims get appended to the end of the list, but you can alter this priority by viewing each pending claim and changing its priority in the box provided.
  10. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Yeah I know what that is. I just have to get the hang of all of this team management.:D
  11. roscoe36

Ok, we're all on board and ready to go. Please stay up on this thread, and the league page second.

Also, remember to set your lineups weekly! I usually set them during the week and make roster moves on the weekend and tweak them!

The OPPONENTS tab is important to see who is playing how many games the next week!

There are no stupid questions, and I will be less cranky about them so please ask.

That is all. Game on.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Q-s about head-to head (match up)competition

1. How long each duel lasts? A week, a month?
    2. Say, I will win...and...?????
    3. Do points from previous duel carry over to the next?
    4. seems that tactic in duels is to try to win narrowly in each category...Let's say my FG% is already too good enough to win in this category, so better is to activate a player who could strenghten my weak stats.
  13. roscoe36

1. week
    2. the cats you win, you get a win for, loss a loss and tie a tie.
    3. no, each week is a new week. But your scores from every week are cumulative. You'll see when week 1 is over.
    4. you gotta come up with your own tactics. You want to win as many cats as possible. Each opponent has a different lineup with different strengths. After a few weeks, you will be able to profile your opponent the next week, and know where he is strong and weak.

My theory is, match them on their strengths, exploit them on their weaknesses.
  14. dba

Anyone found a way in Yahoo to show how many games each player has coming up the next week summarized on one screen?

All I've found to do is go day by day and make a list. Seems like technology ought to do this for me.
  15. roscoe36

OPPONENTS
  16. dba

Technology comes through again!

Thanks.
  17. roscoe36

My pleasure sir!
  18. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

ahhhh! i forgot set my roster last night. all is well except i left greg oden on...grrrr.......
  19. roscoe36

I forgot to set mine too. All of mine. lol
  20. dba

This weekly setting thing is interesting. It makes for a pretty different strategy from daily, particularly for drafting and adding/dropping players. In a daily league you need at least two decent players at every position in order to put a lineup out that has all the slots filled each day. But in weekly, if you have a stud in a spot (e.g., Chris Paul), then unless you can get a second stud at that position, you're better off getting a better player at another position because Paul can be your PG all week.

All the more reason that despite their somewhat slow start last week, my playground warriors are going to kick butt this year.