-----> 2008 FANTASY HOCKEY <-----

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Darth Tater, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Flex means you can play anyone (except goalies) in that position when setting your roster. So if you got 3 great Centers, put them all in.

Yes on the bench.

Actually Woody, in fantasy, the more penalty minutes a guy gets, the better...I think. Kinda dumb, but just draft a goon...

Jammer & Roscoe, you two are like an old married couple. Work it out. No wonder Canada can't decide if they want a democracy or a monarchy...OK, England...same difference.:nerd2::pound:
  2. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I have never understood why penalty minutes is a stat in fantasy hockey. It creates problems for the team, and no one high fives the guy who just got 2 minutes for hooking. And aside from a few guys, most of PM leaders are useless doing anything else on the ice. That said, I've been in enough leagues where they were there that I can deal with it either way.

I do think if we're going to stick with the extra points for SH and PP points, we should consider going with 4 d-men. I've always been partial to sticking with 4, since they tend to log a lot of SH time, and the best d-men play the PP too. But that's my opinion.

I'm also not against having a few extra bench spots for guys who get hot/cold. That way you don't have to dump someone who is in a slump, and you might be more apt to pick up younger players that tend to be more streaky.

Those are my suggestions. I'm fine with whatever in the long run.

I'm not familiar with weekly line changes, but if everyone has got to do it, no one will be at an advantage/disadvantage.

I know my friend Red-Line is still committed to play this year, but he rarely stops by here. He has been in the last 2 seasons, and takes it seriously, which is good.
  3. Darth Tater

Thanks for the input Super.

OK, so Jammer and Supe are NO on penalty minutes. One more "No" and Roscoe said he is willing to drop it. Anyone else against it?

[SIGN]I hate being Commissioner[/SIGN]
  4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I also vote NO on penalty minutes.

Would prefer 3 defensemen since there are so few good ones (at least ones that I've ever heard of). I mean, who would ever name their kid Lubomir Vinofsky (sp)??

When's the draft??
  5. Darth Tater

OK, 3 strikes and Roscoe is OUT on penalty minutes... Sorry Scoe.

I can't set the draft until Yahoo allows sign up for the leagues. That should be any time now. Once it is up I'll do the official sign up sheet, do the settings. and set the draft up.

Hey... my kid (age ten) played in a mite league this year. He scored a hat trick in the last game of the summer league season. It was his first year in hockey. He was named after Brendan Shannahan. We were all very excited!!!:cheerlie-GOAL:
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You named your kid Shannahan? :MusicBigGrin:
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

..."Shanny Jammertime".

Congrats to your kid on the hatter jammer! :yo:
  8. Darth Tater

I thought he was my kid. Jammer, have you been messin' with Mrs. Darth????

BDL...wanna join our league? If you've never played before we can teach you. It's easy. Only thing we ask is that you don't quit.:)
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Or if you quit, you don't show up Woody by doing better than him! ;)

No problem on penalty minutes.

SS, redline is always welcome to join us, if he would like.

I think Lubomir is a kickass name. If the name wasn't already taken, I would change my name to Lubomir Vishnovsky.

We need the same # of D men as last year. It's a premium position.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Thanks for the invite Darth but I must respectfully decline.
    I've never been into fantasy sports and I'm afraid that my low level of commitment wouldn't be good for your league.

I wouldn't mind getting my feet wet in a fantasy hoops league though. I'd probably get into that fosho! I have a feeling that I'd turn into a total fantasy geek and would need a 12-step program to get my life back in order. - Sounds fun! :)
  11. Darth Tater

They've had a Novice Basketball league in here in past years. It's a good one to learn in and fun. Not too intense.

Most people are really helpful (in all the leagues) so never be afraid to ask questions. :)
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

as somebody completing his first baseball league.... he's pretty close to the truth.... though he keeps trying to get me to dump players like Hamilton and Sizemore and pick up guys on the DL not sure why?
  13. Darth Tater

I only wanted you to dump them when I had the #1 waiver priority. Don't dump them now!!!

You joining hockey Round?
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i am a huge huge wings fan.... but hockey in general i just can't get my head aroun till late feb... i'll probably give one of the bball leagues a go but hockey i'll just say no.
  15. Superstarov

I'd change my name to Zarley Zalapski if it was still available.

We had 4 D last year. As long as we have an extra bench spot or 2, it's just like weekly line changes. We'd all be in the same boat. Not an advantage or disadvantage. And honestly if you do the math... 2 - 3 good d-men per team... 30 teams... and we have what 10 managers? There should be plenty of decent D-men to go around.
  16. Darth Tater

Not sure there are 2-3 good OFFENSIVE D-men per team. Plus in weekly lineups you can't use your bench guys to fill in on slow days. But maybe we can add/keep the fourth Defense man as long as it isn't in lieu of a forward.

Probably the main knock on fantasy hockey is the lack of scoring/action. I want to make sure we compensate for that.

I made a couple of mistakes last year as commissioner. They weren't egregious errors, but I am determined not to repeat them. I want this to be the best hockey league we've had.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Toooo easy! :D

Luv ya Darth. You're a good Sith, if there is such a thing.
  18. Superstarov

NHL - Statistics by Position - Yahoo! Sports

There seem to be plenty of d-men that have numbers comparable to a 3rd scoring line forward, plus they get PP points. I don't propose getting rid of a forward, if it's action/numbers you want, adding another skater isn't going to hurt.

Can someone explain how the weekly line-ups work? I'm not sure I understand the appeal. Is it just easier?
  19. Darth Tater

If you want four D I'm fine with that.

Weekly is easier because you set it for the week and that's it. Plus it prevents streaming (filling your lineup with anyone on a daily basis to keep it filled). Last year we went nuts with it and some people didn't care for it. I think for someone like you it will be a good thing.

You set the lineup on Sunday (or earlier) in the slot for the following Monday. No changes can be made to that week's lineup during that week.

My good friend will be joining for sure. It's a different friend than the one who was in our league the last two years, but won't be joining this year.
  20. Superstarov

So you fill all your active positions, once a week. And you just choose the guys that are either playing the most games or are on hot streaks or whatnot. If a guy on the bench scores a hat trick 3 times that week, that's just the way it is. I get it.

Are you allowed to replace a player that is injured or do you wait for the end of that week?

I don't personally have a problem with setting my line-ups either way. When we did daily, I just sat down on Sunday and plugged my guys in for the next 7 days. Then I'd check in once a day and be sure guys were still healthy. Not really a disadvantage for "someone like" me, as long as "streaming" line changes is limited somehow.

I'm not even sure how some people were "streaming" their line changes. Were they just swapping players out so they had all positions full of players every day? They just time the transaction out so they have them in time?