-----> 2008 FANTASY HOCKEY <-----

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Darth Tater, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Auto response:

The commissioner is going to Disneyland (see baseball thread). Please leave a message after the beep...

2. Darth Tater

This is what i could find. Hope this helps. Sorry it's late but I was preoccupied with that darned Cannuckian Jammer.

"Oct. 4-5 -- NHL Premiere. Ottawa Senators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at Stockholm, Sweden; New York Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning at Prague, Czech Republic.

Oct. 9 -- 2008-09 NHL regular season begins in North America. Nov. 8 -- Hockey Hall of Fame Game, Montreal Canadiens at Toronto Maple Leafs. Nov. 10. -- Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Toronto."

I'm almost certain that this week's games will count toward next week's games, but I'm not positive. It only makes sense though. Otherwise, it would offer a huge advantage to people with lots of Penguins & Lightning...like me. :sssh:

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The first "week" of the schedule goes from September 29 through October 12.

4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

um...is it possible to um..erm...lurker like me to actually see what are you doing? To learn and such...

I just did not have balls* to join in this year...

*flip's curse

5. BillLaimbeer

I don't think you can view the league unless you are actually in it. Sometimes Darth will give league updates. Just basically read the opposite of whatever he says.

6. Darth Tater

Raxrets,

I figured you weren't interested when you didn't get back with me or that you weren't serious. Sorry you missed out.

In a couple days, I'm pretty sure somebody will be starting up the Novice basketball league now that Yahoo has opened them. That's a great place for a beginner to learn.

Somewhere around this forum (maybe Roscoe can dig them up) we have some "Fantasy Sports for Dummies", guides, if you will. They are a great learning tool.

I know I did one for basketball as did someone from some "Dimes" magazine. I think Superstarov had one for Hockey. Might be a football one out there too. Do I remember a baseball one by Roscoe? Anyhow, other than football, they all pretty much work the same. Really, it's very easy.

I think they all would explain how to get started, and I'm sure I told you that people around here are more than happy to help you out with as many specific questions as you have.

Just posting the standings or whatever wouldn't really help you. Bill is right that you can't lurk unless you join.

But if you want, you can join a "public league" in hockey or basketball (both are open right now) lurk around and familiarize yourself with the settings for an hour or whatever, and then withdraw immediately. Chances are that nobody will even know you joined. Thing is, nobody will have drafted yet so you won't really see the whole picture. Just remember to withdraw when you are done looking so you don't screw them over.:)

Again, if you just join our Novice league, most people will be learning just like you.

Let me know if I can help.

7. Darth Tater

Thanks Bill.

But the actual regular season games don't begin until Oct 4th in Russia, right? (At least I couldn't locate any before then).

8. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You guys are all so "yesterday."

:pound::pound:

9. BillLaimbeer

Well, my 4th round pick (Gonchar) is out for 4-6 months. I'm starting to feel sorry for any person that I draft, irregardless of the sport.

10. Darth Tater

Gonchar is awesome... what happened?????? Sounds like me last year when I lost my high pick Boyle (D) the day I drafted. Dang, that sux!:(

11. Darth Tater

I hate you Bill. You drafted Gonchar, ruined HIS season, and also ruined mine too. I have the Pittsburgh goalie and also took Malkin with my first pick. Now Gonchar can't protect Fleury or get the puck to Malkin. YOU inconsiderate JERK! Don't you ever think of others???

12. BillLaimbeer

Most people wouldn't have made the connections that you made, but yes, I'm actually that good at fantasy sports drafting. My entire goal was to ruin your season. It was supposed to be a somewhat subtle plan, but you caught me. Better luck with your football team. Wait until you see what I've got planned in that league.... :pound:

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Having weekly lineups and the minimum 3 goalie games played may become an issue this season.

If a goalie gets injured at the beginning of the week, you're likely fubar'd. Days off for rest can also hurt when you don't have the option to switch your starters mid-week.

14. Darth Tater

It could, but I think it would be rare. When I set up the league, I was thinking if one goalie gets hurt in game one that he plays that week he still gets credit even if he only played one minute before the injury. In all likelihood your other goalie will get at least two starts that week. That gives you three.

So quit crying Cannuckian...:gun1::gun1::gun1:

15. jammertime

My draft strategy was to not focus on goalies, so I'm not too worried about it.

16. Darth Tater

Awesome goaltending last night Roscoe. It ticks me off all the more that you grabbed Nabby. If Luongo keeps it up it's going to be long year for the rest of the league.

I guess I've got to hope I score a bit against you this weekend to keep it close...

17. BillLaimbeer

I think a few teams may get burned this first week....including me.

18. Darth Tater

Usually, if it's a short week like this Yahoo waives the minimum requirement for that week.

This week was only four days plus a possible two extra. So yeah, they really need to do that.

I'm not sure how much it would've helped to go daily. Maybe it would have.

19. jammertime

I prefer the weekly lineup. Is it possible to change or remove the minimum games requirement or is the mandatory from Yahoo?

20. Darth Tater

That's up to the commissioner.

Not that anyone is suggesting it, but i think it would be unethical to change that setting after the draft because it favors people who drafted top notch goal tending. However, Yahoo sometimes overrides it once or twice a year.