2008 Red Wings Playoffs

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Apr 5, 2008.

1. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Anaheim clearly wasn't what he used to be. This series may be decided by one lucky goal in 7th game OT. I still hope that wings in 6.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Dallas was a 5th seed in the west and finished the season on a weak note. Their goaltending has stepped it up a notch in the playoffs and wants to shake off the label of playoff chokers. They had no press in the first two rounds and surprised the Ducks in the last round. With goaltending and a strong first unit along with veteran leadership (Modano), they could be a formidable opponent. If they have an answer for Franzen (only 1 or less goals this series) then we be in trouble. If he takes off (3 or more goals) against the Stars, then look for a quick ending. I'm STILL predicting a 20 goal playoffs for Franzen.... Wings in 5

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I hope this long break doesn't hurt.

By the time they start this series, they'll be playing for the '09 WCF.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Babcock likes the break, the players seem to enjoy it as well. Babcock said that it could only affect the 1st period of the 1st game, if at all. If they're not worried, I'm worried even less.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

FRANZEN!!!!! Goal #2

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wings up 2-0 after 1 and I don't see any rust yet

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

3-zip. :MusicBigGrin:

This is great. I just sent my Dallas friends a taunting text so I hope the wings keep it up.

8. Darth Tater

4 - 1 BABY!!!

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have friends? :pound:

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Since tboth teams has several days off, dall cant use being tired as an excuse. Instead they should admit that they were overplayed completely and Turco looked like human again.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ozzie-good : seven starts, seven wins. He is THE dominator!!

12. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

At least one Detroit team is living up to the hype! Unbelievable domination all over the place. Give the Pistons, Tigers, and even the Lions some tickets to see these guys work it.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Tate if the 'Quins come to town, they'll be stricky seafood.

14. Darth Tater

Hang on for 5:24 more Wings...

15. Darth Tater

Fricken Ribeiro cheap shotted Oz after the game. Hope Oz is OK. Suspend that bast...

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

What happened to Franzen? They said something about concussion-like symptoms...

17. Darth Tater

Maybe this is what you were referring to:

The Red Wings had a setback before the game, announcing Franzen was scratched from the lineup and would miss the following game because of concussion-like symptoms. He’s had recurring headaches since early in the previous series.

Red Wings beat Stars 2-1 for 2-0 lead in conference finals - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Demolition Man with the distraction on the second goal. Turco was probably looking to goose him when - aut-oh !

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Wings just keep reeling in wins, even without the leading scorer. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the game ending action. I think, and could be wrong, but Ozzie acted a bit after getting smacked with the stick, at least that's how it appeared to look to me.

20. Darth Tater

Even Dallas coach Dave Tippett couldn't understand what his star forward was doing. Just after time expired in the Stars' 2-1 loss to the Wings in Game 2 of the Western Conference finals, forward Mike Ribeiro stood behind the Detroit net and took a two-handed swing with his stick at goalie Chris Osgood, hitting him in the chest.
    "I looked at it and said, 'What's he doing?' until I went in and looked at the tape," Tippett said of Ribeiro.

Indeed, replays showed Osgood clipped Ribeiro up high with the butt-end of his goalie stick as Ribeiro skated by the net chasing after the puck in the waning seconds.
    "If that's the case, a butt-end to somebody's face at any time is pretty gutless," Dallas goalie Marty Turco said. "Just sticking your knob out there is a dangerous play."
    Added Tippett: "Ribeiro is not going to turn around and chop the goalie like that without having something happening."
    Maybe not, but Ribeiro, the Stars' first-line center, did receive a match penalty for his actions, triggering an automatic review of the incident by the league. Colin Campbell, the NHL's vice president of hockey operations, was in attendance for Saturday's game at Joe Louis Arena.
    Ribeiro, who assisted on the Stars' goal, declined comment after the game through a team spokesman.
    "That's just crossing the line," Kris Draper said. "He swung from behind the net -- a two-hander right at Ozzie. You kind of shake your head and wonder what he was thinking.
    "Something like that -- that's right out of 'Slap Shot.' It's literally intent to injure on our best player. I couldn't believe it when he did it."
    Osgood, for his part, said any contact he made with his stick was unintentional.
    "I was just trying to stand out there to make sure Nick (Lidstrom) didn't get run, because I could see two guys coming," Osgood said. "Just standing my ground with it. Whether I hit him or not, it was an accident."
    Lidstrom called for a suspension after the game, and the Wings were quick to note the five-game suspension Calgary goalie Jamie McLennan drew for slashing Johan Franzen in last year's playoffs.
    "We'll have to wait and see," Draper said. "You don't want to start saying stuff right now. This is something that's going to be reviewed right away. The linesmen said they saw it, the refs said they saw it. So now the league's going to take a close look at it. Here you are in the Western Conference finals -- all eyes were on it. We'll see what happens."

Ribeiro's slash angers Wings