2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by mikhail1973, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Uggh. I don't like the way San Jose is coming back in the series against Dallas. This is starting to "worry" me. I want Dallas to win. IMO a better match up for the Wings, plus I wanna talk smack with some Texans at the office.I guess the layoff helps the Wings, but you never know. They were playing so well...

Montreal. Darn. I was hoping for the Cannuckians to win so Jammer wouldn't be in such a sour mood all the time. Speaking of the Cannuckian, where is he lately? Oh, and can anyone tell us what the heck a "Hab" is anyhow??? Jammer, I want to insult your Jays, but it's no fun when you aren't around.

I wish Tampa Bay had made the playoffs. I ordered a cool rare mint Lightning Bug bobble head on e-pier. It was handed out to season ticket holders at a Lightning game in 2002. I think I'll start collecting bobbles. My Sparty guy arrived last week. Maybe I'll get the Phillies mascot next week, but it looks so dumb. After that I'll go for individual players, I guess.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Habs stands for "Les Habitants" as I understand it...The only hockey team in Quebec...
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I've been around, but just barely. Lot's going on around the Jammer house.

The Habs didn't deserve to win this series. Even though they out shot Philly by a wide margin, and had some tough luck (hitting a lot of crossbars and goal posts), they were definitely outplayed and out muscled in the series.

There were a NUMBER of times when the Habs would have 3, 4 or even 5 guys back and Philly would only rush 1 or 2 players (in the middle of a line change) and they'd STILL score because Montreal didn't bother to actually defend their man.

Tough to blame Carey Price for the losses. He was hung out to dry all series long.

Oh well, they still had a very successful season for a team that was picked by many "experts" to finish 10th in the East.

Next year we need a tough, stay at home defenceman and a rugged power forward or five.:)
  4. jammertime

Nemo is correct. Habitants is the name used to refer to early French settlers and farmers in Quebec.

However, the "H" in their logo doesn't stand for Habs as many believe, the logo actually consists of 2 C's (the outer blue one and the inner red one) and the H. The logo stands for "Club du Hockey Canadien".
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good stuff, but I think you're just making all this up...:pound:
  6. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

As long a Hockey fan as I've been (Production line anyone?), I never knew that one. Thanx.
  7. jammertime

Alright, you've forced me to go Buddahfan on you! It's Wikipedia time!

Montreal Canadiens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Habitants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a nice day.

:hoops:
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs..Jay Leno Show

want sexy? Try Lidstrom, Osgood
    With the Stanley Cup in tow, the two Wings wow the crowd and Leno in their late-night gig.

Mekeisha Madden Toby / Detroit News Television Writer

BURBANK, Calif. — Red Wings stars Nicklas Lidstrom and Chris Osgood brought sexy back to late night Tuesday when they sang and danced during a Stanley Cup champion-inspired appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."
    Instead of sitting on the couch and doing traditional guest interviews, team captain Lidstrom and goaltender Osgood showed up in a bit in the first 15 minutes of the show, where Leno allowed members of the audience to ask him questions.
    When one audience member asked Leno about pop star Justin Timberlake's role as a hockey player in the upcoming Mike Myers movie "The Love Guru," Leno said he would bring out a couple guys who taught Timberlake, also a guest on the show, everything he knew about the sport.
    Advertisement

This is when Leno introduced Lidstrom and Osgood, who triumphantly carried the shiny Stanley Cup above their heads and onto the stage. Dressed in crisp Red Wings sweaters, Lidstrom and Osgood were instantly embraced by waves of screams from the nearly 300 audience members nestled into the stadium-style seats of NBC's cavernous Soundstage 3. As it turned out, several of the screamers were from Metro Detroit.
    The three men (also sporting Red Wings sweaters and T-shirts) and their sole female companion jumped to their feet to applaud the players and instantly caught the attention of Leno, who invited them up to shake Osgood's and Lidstrom's hands and touch the Cup.
    After delivering warm hugs and fist pounds, the fans returned to their seats, giving an excited, hockey-loving Leno the chance to ask the Red Wings a few questions about their most recent Stanley Cup victory, which is No. 4 for Lidstrom and No. 3 for Osgood.
    "It never gets too old," Osgood said. "It was a big thrill again, not just for Nick and I and the team but for the city of Detroit. It really lifted the spirit of the area."
    After that, Leno asked the pair what Timberlake taught them, prompting Osgood and Lidstrom to pick up the Stanley Cup, wiggle to the beat and sing, "We're bringing sexy back, we're bringing Stanley back" in honor of Timberlake's Top 40 hit "SexyBack."
    But don't let Lidstrom's and Osgood's smooth moves fool you. These two are hockey stars, not rock stars.
    "I felt more relaxed when those fans came up," Osgood confided after the segment was over and they'd returned to the comfort of their dressing room. Both men had just one hour before the show to learn the bit and get funny and sexy.
    "We added the part about bringing Stanley back, but the writers came up with the rest," Lidstrom said.
    The NHL invited the Red Wings to appear as guests on the show. After hanging out with Leno, Osgood and Lidstrom walked over to Soundstage 9 to make an appearance on "Last Call with Carson Daly," in an interview segment that will air Friday on NBC
    -
    Gotta watch a little TV....:sssh:
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs..Jay Leno Show

Here ya go for those who didn't see it.
    YouTube - Chris Osgood Nick Lidstrom on Leno
  10. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Thanks Dre.....That was the bomb...:granade: :p_welldone:
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good stuff Drester
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You get the credit...I was watching something else, so if you had not mentioned it I would have not known, so I went to Youtube where everything is stored...