2009 Mock Lottery..if Pistons fall there

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Dre, Apr 5, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well folks some have openly stated that we should save face and tank the rest of the season and avoid a first round embarrassing sweep by the Cavs or Celtics. Even a first round match-up vs the our whipping boys Magic may not come into fruition.

Even Curry as Lee says appears to be sabotaging potential wins with asinine "rotations". crunch time play calling and momentum stopping time outs.

Some have indicated we may as well grab the glory from a possible lottery pick, but even if were to miss the playoffs falling into the 13 slot would be the best we could possibly do swapping spots with Charlotte below if they do indeed steal the last spot from us. We would need a lot of luck to actually go from 13 to 1 or 2 with them balls.

Here is whom the supposed top prospects are...do you think we have anyone on our squad who we could possibly trade to move up 12 spots?????
    2009 Mock Lottery

2009 Mock Draft | 2010 Mock Draft | Create Mock
    Updated: 3/31/09 2:09 am
    1[​IMG]Sacramento Blake GriffinSo.................................................................
    2[​IMG]Washington Hasheem ThabeetJr...........................................................
    3[​IMG]LA Clippers Jordan HillJr......................................................................
    4[​IMG]Memphis James HardenSo...................................................................
    5[​IMG]Oklahoma Cty Brandon JenningsIntl......................................................
    6[​IMG]*Minnesota Demar DeRozanFr..............................................................
    7[​IMG]Golden St. Earl ClarkJr.........................................................................
    8[​IMG]Toronto Gerald HendersonJr.................................................................
    9[​IMG]*New York Cole AldrichSo..................................................................
    10[​IMG]New Jersey Craig BrackinsSo.............................................................
    11[​IMG]IndianaC hase BudingerJr..................................................................
    12[​IMG]Milwaukee Al-Farouq AminuFr.............................................................
    13[​IMG]Charlotte Eric MaynorSr....................................................................
    14[​IMG]Phoenix Stephen CurryJr...................................................................

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I may be wrong (and I'm to lazy to check), but I thought that the most a team could move up or down is 5 spots. Maybe I'm thinking of hockey?

3. LA Dre

It hasn't happen yet, but the team with the best record in the lottery could upset whole [strike]apple cart[/strike] er, ping pong drum by getting that first pick...with the right combination...

NBA.com: Evolution of the Lottery
    TODAY'S LOTTERY
    Under the system, 14 ping-pong balls numbered 1 through 14 are placed in a drum. There are 1,001 possible combinations when four balls are drawn out of 14, without regard to their order of selection. Prior to the Lottery, 1,000 combinations are assigned to the Lottery teams based on their order of finish during the regular season. Four balls are drawn to the top to determine a four-digit combination. The team that has been assigned that combination will receive the number one pick. The four balls are placed back in the drum and the process is repeated to determine the number two and three picks. (Note: If the one unassigned combination is drawn, the balls are drawn to the top again.)

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Hmmmm, Steph Curry is a combo guard who's strength of shooting is offset by his lack of size and a position to play. He sounds like a Piston to me.

5. max

max All-Star

PHX with their record and standing in the West are pretty much a lock for 14 which is the last pick in the draft.

Basically if we do not make the playoffs its the 13th pick ( with a very small chance at top 3 ) and if we make it we get 15th.

6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Joe needs to write Stern a CHECK!! :stirthepot:

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

ROFL

Well we could certainly use his three point shooting, but I think you can always find good shooters in free agency. I don't think we need to waste our draft pick on one.

8. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not convinced that Curry will be a good pro. Is his stroke better than Reddick?

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'd say they are comparable as stand still shooters, though I think Curry is better at creating his own shot and making tough contested shots. I think he's a better ball handler and passer than Reddick, though I wouldn't call that area of his game a "strength" parse. Neither one is a good defender, due to lack of size and lateral quickness.

I'd say his NBA prospects are slightly better than Reddick's. I don't think he's starter material for a good team.

10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Hasheem Thabeet is massively overrated BTW. This guy, despite playing 3 years at the collegiate level, STILL doesn't have a polished post game. In the 3 big games this year (2 vs. Pitt, MSU) he failed to show up at all and really make an impact. He seems a bit soft to me.

Here's an interesting portion DraftExpress...

DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Hasheem Thabeet, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

"The most evident thing to come out of this game was how much Thabeet dislikes contact around the basket. He was knocked to the floor a good 12-15 times by the much more physical (yet extremely undersized) Spartans, and looked extremely frustrated in turn. His extreme lack of balance has never looked more obvious, as he looked about as clumsy as he has since his freshman year with the amount of time he spent laying on the ground."

You have to love his size and length, but I still think this guy is a project in the NBA. Seems to be just a slightly bigger more polished version of Amir to me. I wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him.

11. hitafreethrow

Curry does have decent NBA size though, I was surprised. At 6-3, he could be comparable to say Devin Harris who turned out to be a much better point guard than alot of people though coming out of Wisconsin. Seems as though Curry has a nose for getting to the rim, so he might pan out. Give him a few years to put on some weight, and improve his quickness and ball handling, and he might pan out as a good NBA point guard, but I think he should focus on the point guard role, as he would have trouble defending NBA 2's.

12. hitafreethrow

I think it's hard say that Thabeet is more polished than Amir. He really is clueless with the ball in his hands.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't really like him at the point, but he doesn't have the size to guard two's either. I think the best case scenerio for Curry is a Jason Terry type, a guy who can fill it up, who is best suited coming off the bench in a 6th man type of role.

The Harris comparison isn't a good one IMO. Harris is much quicker and a lot better at finishing at the rim. Harris, while not a "true" point, is pretty good at setting up his teammates off of dribble penetration. Curry is a better shooter of the two.

14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

agree. plus he looked way out of shape last night. except for one play where he made it down the court to finish a break and1, he was not getting up and down to well, and was doing a lot of tugging on his shorts.

15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

LOL, if you can't beat them...

And Thaneet has one of the most pumchable faces in college basketball. Kind of reminds me of KG with his all bark and no bite demeanor. And he hits the ground harder than a sack of rocks.

16. LA Dre

He still has three more years of college seasoning than Amir and possibly 5 more inches of height. Seems to me he flops a lot too and can't take a hit like most big men. In addition to taking 10 minutes to recover from Suton's hip knocker, I saw him get knocked out a couple of weeks ago and it took him half a game to recover.

Here are the ESPN top 20 prospects.....notice that last year's Playa of the year Tyler Hansbrough is not among them....so hopefully Joe doesn't fall in that trap..

Most of the bigs will probably be gone when we pick..

2009 NBA Draft - Rankings - ESPN

RK Player-AGE-POS-HT-WT-SCHOOL/COUNtrY-PROJECTION
    1 [​IMG]Blake Griffin20PF6-10245OklahomaTop 5Mar 30 Update: Griffin continued to prove why he is far and away the ... more..................................................
    [​IMG]Ricky Rubio18PG6-4180SpainTop 5Mar 30 Update: Rubio continues to heal from his early-season injury and return to ... more...............................................................
    [​IMG]Hasheem Thabeet22C7-3265ConnecticutTop 10Mar 23 Update: Once again, Thabeet is proving that just because you're 7-foot-3 and ... more....................................
    4 [​IMG]James Harden19SG6-4215Arizona StateTop 10Mar 23 Update: Harden has been far and away the biggest disappointment in the ... more.................................................
    5 [​IMG]Ed Davis19PF6-10215North CarolinaLotteryMar. 23 Update: Davis has been flying under the radar all year mostly because ... more....................................................
    6 [​IMG]Greg Monroe18PF6-11250GeorgetownTop 10Feb 27 Update: Monroe was red-hot in January and has cooled somewhat in February. ... more.........................................
    7 [​IMG]Willie Warren19PG6-4210OklahomaLotteryMar 30 Update: Warren had a terrific freshman season, but his play against Syracuse ... more.................................................
    8 [​IMG]Al-Farouq Aminu18SF6-8205Wake ForestTop 10Jan 23 update: I'm not sure what position Aminu would play in the NBA. ... more.......................................................
    9 [​IMG]Jordan Hill21PF6-9235ArizonaTop 10Mar 30 Update: Hill has been a default Top 5 pick for the past ... more........................................................................................
    10 [​IMG]Tyreke Evans19SG6-6220MemphisLotteryMar 31 Update: Evans has made the argument over the past two weeks that ... more
    11 [​IMG]Cole Aldrich20C6-11245KansasLotteryMar 30 Update: Aldrich followed up his impressive early-round performances with a strong 17-point, ... more................................
    12 [​IMG]DeMar DeRozan19SG6-6200USCLotteryMar 23 Update: DeRozan struggled for much of the season, but he really started ... more.........................................................
    13 [​IMG]Brandon Jennings19PG6-2165ItalyLotteryMar 30 Update: Jennings continues to have an up and down season in Europe. ... more...........................................................
    14 [​IMG]James Johnson22PF6-9245Wake ForestLottery to mid first roundApril 4 Update: Johnson is a very intriguing prospect. He's a great athlete, has ... more.............................
    15 [​IMG]Stephen Curry21PG6-3185DavidsonLottery to mid first roundJan 15 Update: Curry might be the most controversial player on this list. Some ... more............................
    16 [​IMG]Earl Clark21SF6-9200LouisvilleLottery to mid first roundApr 4 Update: Clark hasn't made an official announcement, but NBA agent Dan Fegan ... more..........................
    17 [​IMG]Eric Maynor21PG6-3175VA CommonwealthLottery to mid first roundMar 23 Update: Maynor is another guy who came up big in a losing ... more.................................
    18 [​IMG]Craig Brackins21PF6-10230Iowa StateMid to late first roundFeb 27 Update: Another name to watch as a late-first-round sleeper is Brackins, who ... more....................
    19 [​IMG]Evan Turner20SG6-7205Ohio StateReturning to schoolMar 23 Update: Turner's team may have been ousted in the first round, but ... more............................................
    20 [​IMG]Jonny Flynn20PG6-0175SyracuseLottery to mid first roundMar 30 Update: Flynn has had a fantastic run over the past three weeks. ... more....................................

17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

We could just buy PHX 1st round draft pick and then make a package deal to move up.

18. LA Dre

These two guys might be someone Joe needs to look at to replace our aging and underachieving young bigs..has anyone seem them play??

16 [​IMG]Earl Clark 21 SF 6-9 200 Louisville Lottery to mid first round
    Apr 4 Update: Clark hasn't made an official announcement, but NBA agent Dan Fegan ... more

[​IMG]Craig Brackins 21 PF 6-10 230 Iowa State Mid to late first round
    Feb 27 Update: Another name to watch as a late-first-round sleeper is Brackins, who ... more....................

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Is Brackins related to Sam Cassel?

20. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Funny no one thought Tyler Hanbrough who by the way is coming out this year and I do believe that Lawson is also entering the draft. I hate NC too, even though our PG spots are locked in with Stucky/Bynum combo which I think will be a formidable duo for years to come.

Something tells me that Hansbrough me become a bust in the NBA.