2010-2011 Michigan State Spartan Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I had to start this a bit early so I could ask C.J. a question...

What in the hell is BYU thinking??? They aren't Notre Dame. Ballsey move!

They really screwed poor Boise State (BSU). :pound: BSU was trying to get in the Mountain West for years. Then they get in last month and then Utah leaves and BYU is leaving to go independent. BSU is talking about just going back to the WAC.

The Mountain West really would have gained some credibility with Utah, BYU, TCU, Air Force and BSU. Now it is crap. People here are totally deflated. Me...I don't care but I kinda feel sorry for BSU.

GO SPARTY! (We suck).

The Big Ten will be all about Ohio State, Nebraska (welcome), and Penn State.

2. Darth Tater

Re: 2010-2011 Michigan State Spartan Thread

Could a forum Mod please add the word "Football" to this thread title?

I know I'm not supposed to bug Rascoe by singling him out, but I forgot how to send a general message to the mods. Duh!

3. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

According to a friend of mine who is a Boise St. fan, BYU has been ducking them for years in terms of being in the same conference. They have a 4 game series schedule starting in 2011 or 2012 though.

As far as the Spartans go, we'll actually commit to Cousins this year and we still have Greg Jones. Not enough for me to buy student tickets or stop rooting for UMich (shhh) but the team should at least get into a bowl game this year. I'm hoping Ed Baker has a breakout season, I like his speed.

I also hope the corners have learned how to actually cover someone. It was pretty bad last year. Interested in seeing who will step up as the main receiver with Blair "HWhite" in the pros. Not sure if Mark Dell is even still on the team.

Buying tickets might be worth it just for the Notre Dame game.

4. Darth Tater

Yeah, I heard the same thing about BYU ducking BSU.

Sparty got rid of a couple trouble makers last year, which should help, but I fear another .500 season is on the way.

We are going to miss Blair White...but even more we will miss our kicker. Swenson was money!!! I think he and Blair White joined the Colts after not being drafted.

Yeah, Dell is still on the team. He has been impressive in camp, I guess.

As far as a bowl game, we keep playing well and losing. Then again, the matchups have been horrible. Texas Techhad that killer passing and we had like the worst pass defense. Then we also had to face soon to be pro quarterbacks like Matt Ryan 3 years ago and I forgot who we played 2 years ago (Georgia?), but it was also some quarterback who went professional.

Notre Dame game...yeah. I'll be in town to see the Eagles/Lions game that week. Was hoping to get Sparty tickets too, but no way I can afford them for the Notre Dame game. I wish we were playing some team like North Southeast West Florida Atlantic Pacific that week.

5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

It was Matt Stafford. They also had Knowshon Moreno. That was a good offensive team.

6. Darth Tater

Ohhhhh yeah... too funny. :pound::pound::pound::tinfoil3::tinfoil3:

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Re: 2010l-2011 Michigan State Spartan Football Thread

Spartans are the Darkhorse this season. Like Michigan, they face a make or break campaign for their coach. I'm expecting MSU to make it to a BCS Bowl Game. They do not play OSU, and I think they're ready to fill in the void left by UM. I'm predicting an 11-1 record. With 8 home games (looks like a UM schedule) the only loss will be at Iowa.

8. Darth Tater

OMG Nemo :pound::pound::pound:

You are kidding right? You are pretty good at predicting stuff...but this is WAY out there. :pound::pound::pound:

I think you are just saying that to put a voodoo hex on the team.

Bad Bad Nemo. Now I understand why you are a CLOWN fish! Thanks for the laugh. :)

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't believe that for a second, I think that's just fan-manufactured stuff to make themselves feel better. Case in point, as you mentioned: they recently scheduled the 4-game series. There's no way in h-e-double-hockey-stick that BYU is going independent to avoid being in a conference with Boise State. I think there was overwhelming support for Boise State coming in to the conference when they did. (However, if BYU has been considering independence for some time, I can see how they would be unhappy with Boise leaving the WAC, since it weakens the WAC and makes it more difficult for BYU to execute their game plan.)

Darth: I haven't talked to a lot of guys out here, but I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the article on ESPN yesterday. This is a very high-risk high-reward strategy, and I don't agree with it at all at this point. The reward is no sharing of TV revenue, bowl money, etc. The risk is that there might not be much of that to go around, and I think it will be very difficult for BYU to schedule quality opponents. And if (when) they have a few inevitable down years, they don't have the safety net of a respectable conference to support them until they get back up to being competitve again. They're just on their own. What's more, the original plan was for BYU to be independent in football and play all other sports with the WAC going forward. I don't like that idea at all, because I think it marginalizes the basketball team among others. And now with Fresno State and Nevada likely coming into the MWC, the WAC can't even field a football conference unless they pull some Division 2 schools in or something along those lines. Does that elevate's BYU national standing? I don't think so. We would be going from being in a conference that's on track to get an automatic BCS bid in two years (or even earlier), to playing 4 or 5 WAC teams (without Fresno State, Nevada and Boise State) and trying to find good teams willing to play us to fill out the rest of our schedule each year. I seriously doubt we have the national respect to pull that off.

On the flip side, BYU is in discussions with ESPN for a TV deal, and probably the rest of our games get shown on BYUTV. How big of a check does it take from ESPN to justify leaving the MWC, taking into account future potential revenue from being in the BCS? To the TV money add bowl money, because I'm confident that some bowl or other would take us if we have a respectable record in a given year. I just hope we're not basing this on some pipe dream of getting into a BCS bowl soon, because while that is a lot money (18M unshared), it's unrealistic. Heck, I think the Holiday Bowl is a pipe dream, and that's a $2.35M payout - still awesome for BYU, though. As it is, we probably share a $1M payout from the Vegas Bowl and a $750K payout from the Poinsettia Bowl with the rest of the conference each year. How much money do teams get from being in an AQ-BCS conference? Is it just the 18M shared bowl payout, or is there more?

I just feel like it's a bad time to make this move. Bad time. It would be interesting to see it play out, but I've got a bad feeling about this. :cold:

10. Nemo

11. Nemo

12. Darth Tater

13. Nemo

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

It's only 7 home games :lecturer:, unless you're including the game in Ann Arbor :pound:

I'm excited to see William Gholston splitting time at DE and LB. The guy passed up offers from Alabama, Florida, LSU, Miami-Florida, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Tennessee, and scUM, to be a Spartan :thumb[1]:

15. Nemo

I included Florida Atlantic being played in Detroit...

16. Darth Tater

17. Nemo

Michael Rosenberg's take on the new alignment for MSU...

"The Big Ten made a pretty harsh (and accurate) commentary on Michigan State football when it gave the Spartans a protected "cross-division rivalry game" with Indiana. That is about as much of a rivalry as Red Wings-Atlanta Braves. The Big Ten basically said, "Hey, Spartans, we gave you 17 years to establish a real rivalry with Penn State, and you blew it. Now almost everybody else in the league is more important than you. Go play Indiana every year and shut up." This is insulting. It also is pretty accurate. But there is a benefit: While Michigan is guaranteed to play Ohio State (presumably the biggest powerhouse in the other division) every year, MSU gets to play Indiana (presumably the worst team in the other division) every year. As you may have noticed, it has been a long, long time since MSU won the Big Ten. Well, it just got a little easier for MSU to at least make some noise in the league."

I knew that MSU played Penn State every year as their final game, but I didn't know that the rivalry was so lopsided. I do know that Lloyd Carr was 9-1 against Penn State.

Personally, I don't like Rosenberg as a writer and hope that the Spartans help him eat these words this season...

18. Darth Tater

I actually agree with everything Rosenberg said. :sssh: The Penn State game was dumb. It was lopsided and it never felt like any real rivalry. Nobody cared.

MSU's natural enemies are U of M (although U of M claims we are mere bugs and they don't consider us rivals...oh yeah, right) and Notre Dame. Penn State means nothing except a sure loss.

I'm glad we get to play Indiana. They are suckier than us, but no suckier than we were against Penn State. Sparty got what they deserved and the Indiana game should help us a lot in most years.

But Nemo...

Eagles thread--->[STRIKE]Nemo[/STRIKE]

Spartans thread--->[STRIKE]Nemo[/STRIKE]

U of M thread---> Nemo

:stirthepot: :pound:

19. Darth Tater

Sparty up 14-7 in 2nd but they look like crap. Lucky they aren't playing a Big Ten team.

Great TD catch by the old QB Nichols.

It's going to be a long season.

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

They busted it open just before the half. Bell looks like he's gonna be a great back...big (6' 2", 230#) with decent speed.