2010-2011 Michigan State Spartan Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Re: 2010l-2011 Michigan State Spartan Football Thread

Nice Nemo. August 19th!

MSU #5 in both polls. Waiting on BCS. But Iowa may destroy it ...

That being said, I think we got a shot...

om Dienhart [​IMG] Michigan State is a team of destiny. Michigan State appears destined to win the Big Ten for the first time since 1987. On Saturday, the Spartans rallied from a 17-0 deficit to win 35-27 at Northwestern. Michigan State never flinched in the face of adversity, as it played its first game of the season outside of the state of Michigan. Now comes a trip to Iowa, which will be angry after losing at home to Wisconsin. If the Spartans leave Iowa City with a victory, they look like a lock to run the table. And they could find themselves not just winning the Big Ten crown, but perhaps playing for the BCS title in an emotional season that has seen the team rally around coach Mark Dantonio's return from a heart attack.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1143524

nemo, u got a crystal ball???

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I do know this...If Iowa gets an early lead of 10 points or more. MSU will not come back on them. They must play them physically on the line and then crush them like a bug in the 4th. My current feeling is that if MSU is within 3, or better at the half, they win.

3. Darth Tater

Agreed. This is a 4th quarter quarterback.

I think odds makers will favor Iowa, but we've got a shot.

But what happened to our running game? I don't get it.

4. Nemo

Early odds have Iowa as a 4.5 point favorite.

This is good news for MSU.

Don't worry about the running game against Iowa. :) :eyebrows: [​IMG]

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

6. Darth Tater

Dantonio sees similarities between MSU and '02 Bucks

EAST LANSING - The last time Mark Dantonio was associated with a team that was perfect through eight games was 2002, when he served as defensive coordinator for an Ohio State team that went on to win the National Championship.

No one is suggesting that Michigan State has the overall talent base of that Buckeye title team. But Dantonio does see some common characteristics.

"One thing about that (Ohio State) team is we found out how to win close games," Dantonio said during Sunday night's weekly press briefing. "All the games were very close, even starting with the fourth game against Cincinnati."

he Spartans jumped ahead of Oklahoma and LSU in this week's BCS rankings and landed at No. 5, trailing No. 1 Auburn, No. 2 Oregon, No. 3 Boise State and No. 4 TCU.

Michigan State is one of only four unbeaten teams from a major conference.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Fixed that for you.

[SIGN]GO nonBCS![/SIGN]

8. Darth Tater

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I know its just the crazy Mich fan, but I just don't see the Iowa game or the potential game for the championship game as the challenge for you all... its one of those 3 "cake" games you suppose to win.

You have something going for you in a championship game that I think a few of the teams don't. You guys are truely hungry and don't have that attitude that I think alot of top programs have had playing the team of the blue turf has had the last few years. Don't get me wrong I think there a solid program and can play anybody in the nation on any given saturday, but I don't think they would win every sat if they had to play the schedule that State is playing this year.

I think you guys win 31-17 this saturday.

10. Darth Tater

I TOTALLY agree with you on BSU. I get tired of hearing them complain that everyone hates them, when in reality it is the computer keeping them "down" a bit. What a coincidence that TCU and BSU never lose. Both solid, for sure, but come on. Week after week in the Big Ten would wear them down quick, like the rest of us.

They say "we will play anyone anywhere, but google it. They turned down Nebraska who offered little BSU a 2 for 1. But BSU wanted a million bucks to do it.

Why would Nebraska risk not playing a cupcake AND lose money??? So yeah, they talk big, but expect the world to revolve around them.

Yeah, if they were in the Big Ten with the team they have now, not the team they could potentially recruit, I think they would lose a couple games, if not more, for sure!

I know I "take the cheese" every time, but I believe in this team. I hope if we do lose, it isn't because of a bad call or something. Like nemo, I could easily see that.

11. Nemo

Not sure if you mean Iowa this coming week, or Boise Sstate in a potential Bowl matchup. Remember that the last 3 years, your game with Iowa was decided by less than 7 points. This year...your team is loaded with talent.

12. Darth Tater

Sorry, I meant IOWA.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To be fair, it's downright disrespectful for a BCS team to offer BSU (a recent two-time BCS bowl winner a 2-for-1. If it were about TV exposure, that would be one thing. But Boise State plays on ESPN. To me, the BCS schools who do this are scared of losing.

14. Nemo

Interesting to consider BSU and the respect they may get. As I try to predict a score for this week's game against Iowa, I'm finding some interesting tidbits.

- MSU is an unproven road team who is a 7 point underdog in some betting lines.

- If MSU were to play BSU in the National Championship game right now, they'd be a 12 point underdog...

- Against Alabama...16 point underdog.

Our ranking in the polls shows respect, but almost all betting lines says MUCH different.

Maybe time for a post-season mascot change,,,

[​IMG]

15. Nemo

MSU wins 31-21....:)

16. Darth Tater

Detroit writers ripping on Dantonio for reinstating Rucker.

This is bad karma for the team. Just plain old bad karma. :(

Iowa 24

MSU 17

17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

As a Mich fan I'm trying to stay out of the debate that is rolling on alot of spots I read... but I just don't think its right for a guy to get out of jail on thur and be left up to the player if he plays or not. I can honestly say to myself if it was my starting QB and its the thur before the BCS game for a national championship I wouldn't be happy if played for mich.

I was ashamed of how the Fab Five era went down and have huge issues with players getting back on the field so fast. I hadn't followed this story from the beginning but from what I understand he was on a probation and not allowed to have or drink alcohol at all? So he gets drunk and then gets behind the wheel?

This isn't even about 2nd chances if I understand it... this would be a third chance?

I would like to see the kid remain part of the team... but I can't see how you say its in the best interest of the kids future to play him the rest of this year... I would actually be ok I think if he kept his nose clean maybe playing in a bowl game, means he went 2 plus months paying the price and keeping his nose clean.

I'm interested in State fans views (from this more calm group of fans)... and please don't come back with the response every state fan is giving me, well mich does it or college x does it. I have already said I don't like it when it happens at my college.

I'll be honest, if he plays sat I am rooting for Iowa to win, he doesn't dress I will root for State.....

18. Darth Tater

@ Round,

I agree with you...except I am rooting for MSU, regardless. :)

That being said, he was just barely over the limit, and allegedly had only a minor role in the brawl. But rules are rules.

Still...I don't agree with Dantonio's decision and I really think it will come to no good.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the One. ---Mr. Spock.--

19. Nemo

I am putting my faith in the coach. I believe he is a man of integrity and has the MSU program's best interest at heart. He also knows all the facts which we may not have available to us at this time. I'm also sick of the national pundits bashing MSU and their chances in this game. This team will rally around the coach and blow the Iowa team off the field this Saturday.

20. Darth Tater

You're a good [STRIKE]porpoise[/STRIKE] person.