2010-2011 Michigan State Spartan Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Aug 19, 2010.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The coach wasn't playing to win, he was taking a guaranteed 3 points to make the loss margin smaller so it wouldn't hurt him as much at his end of the year review. It happens all the time but it's not always this blatant.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

They should've put all the weak teams in the same division.
    Neb, OU, UoM, Wis, PS and Iowa. Let the BCS deal with that SoS.
    MS, Il, NW, IU, PU and Minn. Realisticly Big Mid 12 plays in 7 bowls.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Next three are Notre Dame, Northern Colorado, and Wisconsin. All the games are at MSU and all are winnable. It would be nice if they could win them all and enter week six a perfect 5-0 to face the Wolverines.

Notre Dame really doesn't seem ready for a team the caliber of MSU, especially playing MSU on the road. State plays relative error free and they win.

Northern Colorado is a cupcake team who plays the likes of Montana and Montana State. MSU should ground them into hamburger.

Now Wisconsin should be interesting. They play big time physical football, but MSU matches up against them well. MSU will probably be the underdog...even if they enter the game 4-0, but should still prevail.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Notre Dame is going to give Sparty all that they can handle.

5. Nemo

Yea...if they cause a lot of turnovers.

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The UNC Bears score a lot of points.
    ...sniff, ...sniff, ...I smell an upset.

7. Nemo

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Prolly more than we can handle.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought you got banned?

10. Darth Tater

Just call me Darth Rasputin.

11. Nemo

Nemo has felt this way all along...however...

Lynn Henning wrote this article.

1. Michigan State's unbeaten and no one seems to know it.
    I get it. You can't have followed Big Ten football for four-plus decades and not appreciate why the Spartans fans are ready to riot. Michigan's magical quarterback (for now), Denard Robinson, is suddenly the most famous Robinson since Anne Bancroft played the missus in a little cinematic work entitled The Graduateand no one seems to remember there's a football team in East Lansing.

So, here's the recipe:

Beat the Irish, as MSU should do Saturday night, and do it in a way that makes clear this team has all the talent and crunch on both sides of the football that it absolutely possesses. Then finish off Northern Colorado next week and prepare thyself for a mountain of pre-game chatter and coverage ahead of what will be the biggest big game of the Big Ten season's first five weeks: Wisconsin at Michigan State on Oct. 2 at Spartan Stadium.

First things first:

MSU is good enough to spank the Irish. But they were good enough to win four years ago, on a wet night in East Lansing, at which point John L. Smith got himself fired with the single worst-coached game on a Big Ten field, at least in my experience. With a lead, deep in his own territory, and with the clock about shot, Smith and his staff decided on third-and-short to pass rather than hand it off to a beast of a back, Jehuu Caulcrick, who had already been tromping on the Irish as if he had been manufactured by Caterpillar. Naturally, the ball went over to the Irish, and Notre Dame won a game it had zero business winning, and MSU had even less business losing.

This year's Spartans are different, for two reasons:

They have actual talent and depth on offense and defense.
    They have Mark Dantonio and a competent coaching staff that isn't about to allow the nonsense that happened four years ago.

More distant observers, and even a few fans, are nervous about the Spartans, and for understandable reasons.
    Notre Dame under Brian Kelly isn't a good bet to go 1-2 in its first three games. That's why Michigan's stunner over the Irish last Saturday made life doubly difficult for the Spartans entering Saturday's get-together in East Lansing.
    Also, people aren't all that wowed by the way State has played, which, in this book, isn't relevant.
    Western Michigan is a decent football team. Florida Atlantic is better than decent and might have pulled off something earth-shaking a week ago had coach Howard Schnellenberger not have left his arithmetic book at home.
    But for all those peeved Spartans fans who wonder just what it will take for a 2-0 team to get some attention, be patient: A victory Saturday over the Irish will get you oceans of it. And if, along the way, Wisconsin falls ahead of MSU's date against Michigan and Mr. Robinson, the Spartans will understand that it's not only a basketball team that's awakened a nation. The guys in green wearing helmets and pads will be viewed as pretty good themselves. And this team, which is yet capable of winning nine, or even 10 games, will prove it -- at least as long as they follow the script Saturday night by beating a Notre Dame team over which the Spartans have a serious edge in personnel.

12. Darth Tater

Good article, but Sparty is Sparty. Until they show me that they can win the games they are supposed to as well as some of the ones they aren't, I'm not going to drink that sweet artificially flavored stuff folks are offering. Been bit too many times. SHOW ME. Don't TELL ME. SHOW ME!!!! Notre Dame ain't nothing but Sparty has something to prove. Often they pee on themselves. Anyhow, this is a should win. No big deal to beat Notre Dame.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

If Crist doesn't get knocked out of the game, he'll give State's secondary fits. They have sucked so far.

14. Nemo

The Crist child was unable to deliver a miracle. Instead, MSU pulls the play of the decade to secure a victory. I've never been happier with the final play of a college football game as I was with that play. What a gutsy call. MSU to the Bowl Championship Series...........:)

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great and Gutsy call....not sure about the leg of the FG kicker, but I thinks he misses that one, so you almost had to take your chance and throw...either win or 1st down as long as the receiver catches it.

Second Monday in a row Regis Philbin will come on his show upset about a team from Michigan snatching victory from his Irish in the waining seconds of a game. :)

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What an ending that was. Fun game. I agree that the FG would have been long odds. Probably a good call... but not sure I would have had the guts to make it.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ND should avoid playing Michigan schools for a while.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

States Coach must have the gate of an ape, due to his huge mangos.