2010-2011 Season: How many Piston wins?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Oct 12, 2010.

?

How many games will the Pistons win in 2010-11?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2010.
  1. 24 or less

7.7%
  2. 25-29

15.4%
  3. 30-34

26.9%
  4. 35-39

36.5%
  5. 40-44

5.8%
  6. 45-49

1.9%
  7. 50-54

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 55 or more

5.8%
  1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Okay, no excuses or conditions (if they stay healthy, barring no trades, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah), just tell us how many wins the Pistons will get this season.

The poll doesn't end until October 29, so you have plenty of time to evaluate the preseason if you so choose.

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

C-mon Bill...I need to see what your projection is. At least Sidewinder needs to make a guess first. :)

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I give them an 8-12 win increase from last year's 27. That's doable.

4. Brap

Brap Starter

I think the Pistons are going to be way better this season than advertised and commonly thought.

I think we're going to prove to be one of the most talented offensive teams in the league, although a couple of the keys to that talent performing are a rookie (Monroe) and a second year player (Daye), and the guys we have at point guard aren't "true points", and the team is in a lot of flux and there are tons of options to sort through -- which all suggests to me that the team will have some consistency problems and will make a few too many turnovers while the young guys are learning to play.

Still, I think we're going to really enjoy this season - unless you're someone who isn't happy unless the team wins the championship. For me, I love watching the Pistons when they're in young up and coming mode. Right now, we're going to watch a team with a guy who is going to eventually be the top passing center in the league and who has an excellent offensive game besides that. Daye is going to be special, and he's really hard to guard with his length and handle and superior shooting from all over the court - another great guy to run the offense through. Stuckey is a monster when he lines up at PG. So is Bynum as a spark off the bench. Gordon is a top offensive SG - everyone knows that. For the old guys, Rip is going to love being in their with Monroe - running off picks and getting the ball passed to him from the high and mid-post, Rip has never had a guy like Monroe who can do that. Tay seems rejuventated and the offense can run through him too - in fact, I bet we see that a lot this season. Ben Wallace is a strong passer. I haven't even mentioned CV yet - a very talented offensive player, or Maxiell who has his moments. I also think, if he can get any regular PT, which is pretty questionable, unfortunately, due to our depth,that Summers can be an excellent offensive player (and frankly, I think he's got excellent D possibilities also).

Seriously, this has the potential of being a superior offensive team. They just need time and a sense of great team spirit. So far, I'm thinking they have a real chance to get in a great rhythm this season.

Defense and rebounding will tell the story of the season. I think we'll see the team overmatched by teams that have great size and strength up front. Monroe isn't anywhere near as strong as he'll be in a couple seasons. Daye will struggle against super strong PF's - and CV isn't going to give us great D. Maxiell is limited sometimes by his height. Wilcox? I'll believe in Wilcox being really good when I see it - I'm skeptical, plus I think he'll end up far down in the team's pecking order. Ben Wallace as our savior again - maybe, but he's at the tail end of his career and I don't see him getting more than 20 - 25 minutes a game with our depth and to protect his legs. I like Summers a lot as a potential power forward - he's got a lot of game and potential at both ends of the court, but it's a bit hard to see him getting high enough in the pecking order on our team this season to make much of an impact.

I can get the possibility that the team will really compete. The best we can hope for, I think, is a team that plays every game with the intensity of the Houston Rockets - a team that the past season just played every game really hard. From what I hear, the Pistons practices are ultra-competitive. We've got the depth to play that way all season, so that's my hope. Still, some teams will just overmatch us physically.

So, with youthful and unfamiliary based inconsistency on O,and not quite having the horses and relying on some guys on D who aren't physically ready for every challenge, I see us around .500.

BUT - at some point, Joe's going to make a trade or acquire a big strong physical center. When and if that happens, that might throw everything into flux for a time. Then, all bets and predictions are off until we see what we've got and how it all works together. So, .500 up and until that trade is my prediction.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm at the high end of 25-29. Mark it down as 29 officially.

6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Jebarkos injury hurt us pretty bad, T-Mac seems to be on life support and our possible breakout player (Daye) plays on the same position as three unbenchable veterans so I doubt we'll improve more than 7 games from last year. However I do believe we'll improve since it's improbable that we'll get hit as hard by injuries as we did last year.

7. Brap

Brap Starter

Yeah - I totally forgot about McGrady. He's a huge wildcard for us this season.

Part of me is hopeful he makes a huge recovery, and we trade him for a #1 pick to a contender.

Part of me is hopeful he makes a huge recovery and he turns us into a way better team this season than we dare dream for.

Part of me is hopeful he doesn't displace our young guys in the rotation.

Part of me is hopeful he makes Tay tradeable and we trade Tay for a #1 pick.

I'm 50-50-50-50 on all these hopes making me 200% confused.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

My prediction:
    T-Mac will retire a Piston

...in December.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh sure, like watching more pre-season games will help.

10. BillLaimbeer

I just have a few more computer simulations and I'll make my prediction later today.

Jerebko was my favorite player last season. Losing him is a major bummer, in my opinion.

I think Daye already makes Tay tradeable.

I just said that for Dre. He always complains about things like that. :stirthepot:

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is for me right? You know I need plenty of time for evaluate....Last year the polls closed a month before I was ready for my evaluation about thanksgiving or so :)

12. Nemo

2007-2008 Wins 59 Nemo's prediction 63
    2008-2009 Wins 39 Nemo's prediction 43
    2009-2010 Wins 27 Nemo's prediction 31

The Pistons are consistently finishing below my expectations. Actually falling short by 4 victories per season. I then looked at all other items that matter to me and came up with 25 wins as my initial projection. Finally, I subtracted 4 wins from my very scientific process and have a final total of 21 wins...

Roscoe...Please forgive me...:)

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In the interest of full disclosure, Nemo crapped out of the Yahoo Survivor game this year after 2 weeks. :stirthepot:

14. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

The start of this season looks tough, in fact the first six weeks look brutal. A bad start (2-8) is almost certain because our coach won't settle on his best lineup until after the playoffs are out of the question.

A flurry of wins in the last two weeks result in an almost respectable 36 wins.

15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

In his defense, it takes a full 20 seconds every week to pick a team.

16. Nemo

Yea...that was planned. I wanted Darth to win.

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Bynamite starts and runs the O, 41 wins.
    Lee, Max and Rasc aren't even participating.

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I won't give you an official number, but I think low thirties in wins is what I expect.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:hoops:

20. BillLaimbeer

That's impressive for Nemo. He got eliminated in the first week in thepicksgame Survivor contest....da Raiders....