2010 Draft Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 13, 2010.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well, don't let this get around.

2. pass99

If you have the right frame of mind, the passage is not hard. If Johnson slips there is no problem. If he does not, you go for Xavier Henry.

All and all, you have a combination of a deadly back court. This will include (surprise): Ben Gordon.

Solidify around stable talent that can grow with one another and has aggressive directions on how you must fill. JD's job is too fill, because this is his strength. Don't force against your nature. Step back from the problem and take another approach.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't care what position the guy plays.
    Joe's gotta draft the dude with the best chance to become the supportee that our current roster of supporting cast guys can support.

...the Pistons need a "main man" in a bad way.

4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

NBA comparison on NBADraft.net is Rodney Stuckey/Ben Gordon. Combining Stuckey and Gordon is a dangerous combination :wedgie:

Willie Warren, Blake Griffin's Oklahoma teammate, was considered to be a lottery pick last season had he elected to go into the draft. He is "probably" going to slip into the second round this year for a bunch of reasons....

Willie Warren | NBADraft.net

5. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

6. pass99

His name has been making the rounds. This kid is good and could be a late 1st rounder.

7. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

I had a dream about the draft last night. It started off with the lottery and we got #1. Then like the next day was draft day and I missed it so I check online and see that at #1 we took Patrick Patterson....

What da....

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

That they do.

9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Well..

We know now that we get the 7th Pick.

YES, Coach Q screwed BIG TIME by winning thoe last games of the season.

But we can't go back in time and fix it. (Because if we can, I would go back to 2003 Draft and punch Joe D in the face until he Pick Wade - Melo or Bosh...)

So, there is nothing that WE can do, beasides talking about what to do with this 7th pick.

Should we trade it? (Pick + Rip + Wilcox ?)

Or perhaps we should pick someone..

But who should we pick?

Greg Monroe? Ed Davis? Hassan Whiteside? Ekpe Udoh? Cole Aldrich?

(I don't include Favors and Cousins for obvious reasons)

So, let's talk..

Who you think is a better fit for the Pistons?

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Rip is from Pennsylvania.

Lets package him up to swap picks with Philly, then take Turner.

11. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Forget it, we're doomed. Joe is clueless.

I still can't believe I'm watching Rondo RUN the Boston Celtics into the NBA Finals. And he could be a Detroit Piston right now if Joe didn't insist on overvaluing our ridiculous players.

If we really want to predict this draft, we need to start thinking about the one guy we don't want, and that'll be the one Joe gets.

12. Brap

Brap Starter

Oh ye of little faith!

As time goes along, Joe's drafting of Stuckey, JJ (no controversy there), Daye, Summers - his signings of Bynum and Gordon (but perhaps NOT CV) will be applauded.

Assuming he can't draft or spot talent or build a cohesive team is just a bunch of uniformed angry fan-speak, as far as I'm concerned.

The team has assets, and I assume we'll get a guy who will become a good center over time - but it won't be pretty next year for that draft pick, as almost no big-men coming into this league are gonna "get'er done" in their rookie year.

It's more important that he set us up for 2011 and beyond by making astute trades of Tay - who I'm sure will be gone and will be a valuable asset now or at the trade deadline since he's a very fine player on a very nice expiriing contract - and Rip, who will be extremely attractive as a trade asset by next summer, since he'll effectively be on an expiring contract with 2013 not guaranteed. It's also more important that he use the assets he has now to create a team that can play well with the assets we keep.

2010-11 is going to be a honking mess to watch at times whether we get younger or whether we hold onto Tay and Rip for awhile, since trades will mean a ton of transition, and since no-trades will mean a slow down team of veteran leaders trying to mesh with a speed it up team of young guns.

"But that's okaaaayyy. Joe can doooo whateeeever he wants." (As long as he has a plan and sticks to it as he builds this team).

13. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Present is not good but we could make steps forward:
    Pick with seven one big men with potential,not aldrich.
    Trade Rip for Kirilenko Spiring,and try to sign next year Marc Gasol for next years,is a realistic target.
    Pick one PG with second round.
    We have wilcox,Prince and Bynum(sign and trade) to get in exchange one quality young player and first round picks.
    Give a shot Stuckey to lead pistons with a no injured and structured team (one real center,Villanueva and gordon)
    I hope Kuester give minutes Austin Daye,daye is very bad defender but he colud learn. Pau Gasol had first two seasons playing time even though his body was not quite thin and not very muscular.
    This is our second transition year,we must be positivist and support players despite they donĀ“t win one ring next year.
    Nets,Knicks,Bulls,Sixers and Wizards will improve this summer with money and top draft picks,we only can wait our players work hard with pistons dna and support them despite losses.

14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

In retrospect...I give Joe a B+ for last years draft.

15. Brap

Brap Starter

I think Daye has the potential to turn this into an A draft.

I also think Summers, on top of that, is a player. That would be an A+ draft.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I think you are probably overvaluing both players, but that will be determined in time.

17. S.J.

I'm agree with that.

A few weeks before the Last years' draft i was talking about Austin Daye like if he was Kevin Garnett (or the next KG)..

Now I have to say that i was really wrong, but I still have faith in him.

Jerebko will turn out to be one of the best Pistons Draft pick of the last decade.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Then again he could come back next year and suffer through a year long sophomore slump....

19. S.J.

Yes, I know that is a possibility. But I have faith in Jerebko..

20. Brap

Brap Starter

Virginia Commonwealth's Larry Sanders improving his NBA draft stock

BY VINCE ELLIS
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
    The Pistons will likely look for size up front with the No. 7 pick of the NBA draft[​IMG] on June 24, president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said at a recent new conference.

[​IMG]

That wasn't exactly news for anybody who watched the Pistons[​IMG] stumble to a 27-55 record last season with arguably the worst frontcourt in the league.
    But while the focus is on sure-fire lottery picks Derrick Favors[​IMG], DeMarcus Cousins, Ed Davis, Ekpe Udoh and Cole Aldrich, Dumars said on the night of the draft lottery that the Pistons would have to be mindful of fast-rising prospects -- for the pick and for the possibility of trading down.
    One such prospect could be VCU's Larry Sanders[​IMG].
    Various mock drafts have the 6-foot-11 power forward[​IMG] going in the later part of the first round, but his nearly 7-6 wingspan is intriguing.
    In a workout with the Raptors last week while matched against Udoh, Aldrich and Daniel Orton, Sanders did far more than hold his own.
    Projected to be a power forward, his length should enable him to guard all three frontcourt positions.
    He is a freakish athlete with the ability to run the floor. He needs to gain weight, he is only 220 pounds, but he showed more strength than expected with the Raptors.