2010 Draft Watch

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Any GM in position to draft Cousins will be dealing with a severe case of heartburn both right before he makes his selection, right after he makes his selection, and for about two seasons thereafter.

If I were Joe, I'd pick Wall or Turner if they're available - get the sure thing. But secretly, I wonder if Cousins won't turn out to be the best player in this draft, and one of the best Centers in the NBA for the next decade. (Either that or the MVP in his State's Penal System League).
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Tell me about!! Cousins is....well he's......he reminds me of Sheed, but not as talented or as smart, and take away Sheed's skills and hoop IQ and what do you have.....One Big "A" Headache. That's why I hope we get the #3 pick, if Wall and Turner go first, nobody will blame you for taking Cousins, but if you pick him before Wall or Turner and he turns out to be what you're scared of....Darko all over again.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

As it stands today we have 25 games left for the season.
    Our remaining schedule is fairly difficult… I’m projecting a finish of 8-17… this would end the season at 29-53

If you compare other teams records we are 4.5 games ahead of the Warriors currently 3rd from bottom…. To drop this far with so few games left is highly unlikely.

We’re 3 games up on the Kings (4th worst record)… still tough to do but possible.

We are 4.5 games below the 11th worst team.

If we’re playing the odds it very likely that we’ll finish between 5th and 10th from the bottom.

Here’s the odds on moving up in the draft at these slots:
    (scroll down the page)

With the odds heavily favoring us picking between 5th and 10th on June 24th I decided to look at 12 of the most popular mock sites for a consensus on this draft range …

Here is the players most chosen for positions 5-10

Cole Aldrich 11
    Al-Foroque Aminu 10
    Ed David 9
    Xavier Henry 6
    Donatas Motiejunas 6
    Derrick Favors 6
    DeMarcus Cousins 6
    Patrick Patterson 6
    Wesley Johnson 5
    Willie Warren 5
    Hassan Whiteside 5
    Greg Monroe 4

My money is on one of these players wearing red, white & blue in 2010/11
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I take:
    Plan A: Cousins
    Plan B: Wes Johnson
    Plan C: Favors.
  5. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

A lot of people is talking really bad about Favors.

I recently download some NCAA Games from Georgia Tech to see him play and have my own opinion.

Cousins it's almost impossible to be drafted beetween 5-10 spots.

We have to, seriously think about Favors or Greg Monroe or Cole Aldrich.

Also, many said that MAYBE Favors'll skip this draft.

I saw some games from Georgetown (Mostly after Detroit picked Summers, just to check out how he played in College) And I have to say that i really liked Monroe, he is versatile, pass the ball very well and have a good amount of offensive moves..
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The more we discuss the draft, the more I realize what a wasted season this was. We're not going to get anything good out of the draft, we're not going to get anything from the FA market. We're stuck with this roster plus/minus some other mediocre pieces.

So next year, in the articulate words of Townie, "Oh no, we suck again". :yellowprison:
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

Sour day?

We're not getting anything out of the 2010 draft? Really? For god's sake why not?
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, it is a sour day indeed. I was overwhelmed with work since the SAS victory, and was finally able to check the scores this morning only to see 3 losses in a row. :yellowprison:

The point I was trying to make about the draft is that it is looking very unlikely that we'll land a top 3 spot in the draft. Where we'll be drafting there won't be any "franchise-changing" caliber players. I fear Joe will just end up drafting another project or worse.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

John Wall anyone? Check out the latest Bleacher report
    Where Will John Wall Fit In the NBA

What this means is despite the Nets possibly have the most balls, another team in the bottom five could get that # 1 pick..

If we get # 1 pick, do we draft Wall and trade him, or do we keep him and trade Stuckey since Rips salary may be to much to unload?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Stuckey's health concerns create a lot of uncertainty about his future in the NBA, let alone with the Pistons.

This is twice in a couple years that he has had a sideline incident that is very scary. Whether he is fine or not now, or whether he has checked out now, the thing is, do you risk a 3rd time? Do you draft and trade Wall, to keep a guy who may have another occurrence of fainting?

I don't envy Joe for having to consider such scenarios.
  11. LA Dre

Agree and you have to wonder who his advisers are or brain trust is to assist in this years' decision making. John Hammond was a good ear, but who is there now...to bounce off ideas? Whatever decision you make with a top 3 pick can affect the franchise for the next 5-7 years and the Pistons org and fan base can already attest to that scenario.
  12. LA Dre

Pistons: If we can't get John Wall....Evan Turner maybe the next best bet?

Detroit Pistons Draft Dreams: Evan Turner | MLive.com

Yep we don't want to have to go through the regretting phase again....it's can last for 7+ years....
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And counting.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We already have a combo guard who plays hard.
  15. LA Dre

Yep I know, but we also some guards we can dispose of too.....if anybody wants them.....
  16. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Evan Turner is good enough that you take him even with 20 mil a year tied up in SGs. He's handled the PG duties for OSU pretty well this season (turnovers aside), which makes me wonder if he'd work well with Ben Gordon. Gordon could guard the PG on defense while Turner ran the team on offense. I'm talking in a situation where Turner or Gordon is the first guard off the bench, Stuckey is still the PG, and Rip isn't here. Not really likely, but just a thought.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

All small-ball - all the time!
  18. LA Dre

If the Pistons are so lucky to get a top 3 pick, it should be about drafting the best player available as opposed to need, as they will have all summer to decide who is expendable and make a trade for the person or keep him and deal one of their excess guards whether it is Bynum, Rip, Gordon or Stuckey.

Its time for this program to run with a known marquee player that can be the go to player for the next 5-6 years and we have no one on the squad that is capable of that now.:stirthepot:
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

100% agree!

I'd send Rip, Gordo or Stuck to the Mad Ants to make room for one of those top-two guys if it came down to it.
    The Pistons are in need of an iconic player to be the face of the franchise moving forward.

As it stands (aside from a few positional needs), The Pistons have a good supporting cast with nobody to support.
  20. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't know if the Mad And would want Ben Gordon in the team..

LOL