MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I highly doubt it will happen, but if they lose their last 5 and finish 6-6, I doubt they would get invited to a bowl.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

If Michigan beats Nebraska but Nebraska beat MSU but MSU beat Michigan and there is a tiebreaker...does Michigan automatically win due to the fact that they are Meechigan? :stirthepot: I mean, but if MSU wins it outright by getting more victories, they MUST give it to them, right? Or is there an unecessary roughness clause the big ten Commissioner recently had added?

Actually, it comes down to strength of schedule if they are tied, right?

Sparty already played the tough ones.

Tough games remaining, IMO...

1. Michigan (toughest remaining) @ Iowa, @ Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio State.

2. Nebraska Northwestern, Penn St., @Michigan, Iowa.

3. MSU (Easiest remaining) Minny, @ Iowa, Indiana, @Northwestern.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Herbstreit thinks that MSU will face OSU in the first Big Ten championship game. If OSU beats Michigan..

I can't figure out how to add a smilie here so just pretend that there are a few sarcasm selected.
  4. Darth Tater

@ Laimbeer. I'm sure you are right that they won't lose their last four (4). But those bottom feeder bowls seem desperate. They might take MSU anyhow. 2-2 at the very worst, and I would hope/expect 3-1 if not 4-0. Hopefully we can sit back and relax in a couple of them while we watch MSU do a Boise State imitation and beat a far inferior opponent 45-7.

@detteam. I agree with you that Roushar is the one coming up with the predictably lame plays. But ultimately, IMO, the responsibility should fall on the guy (Dantonio), who wanted him hired as offensive coordinator.
  5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Technically, Dantonio didn't hire him as OC. He promoted him from O-line coach when Treadwell took the HC job at Miami...a seemingly logical move. Unfortunately, Roushar looks like he's in over his head with the responsibilities of OC.
  6. Darth Tater

Well, if we want to be technical, I believe that the A.D. hired him, but Dantonio should know that Roushar wasn't competent capable if that indeed is the case. (As it appears to be). In any case, the blame still falls on Dantonio. Dantonio is a very good coach, obviously. I don't want him to leave or be replaced. I just think that he is way too conservative.
  7. Darth Tater

Minnesota is a lousy team. Spartans should win this easily as they try to bounce back from an ugly loss to Nebraska. Cousins won't be scared on Saturday and he will shine. Running game goes off. SHOULD be a sit back on your Lazy Boy watch and relax game.

MSU 45

Minnesota 10
  8. Darth Tater

Did I call it or what??? :6shoot:

OK...I guess it is what.:bs:

I thought that MSU was out coached.I also felt that Minnesota came ready to play and showed more focus and emotion.

But MSU won and that is the bottom line...kind of.:djparty:

Next week is a very tough road game against Iowa. Hopefully MSU plays better than it did today and better than U of M played there today.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

With the way Northwestern is bringing it in Lincoln, State might have a chance at controlling their own destiny again in Iowa City
  10. Darth Tater

Yep. Northwestern just beat Nebraska 28-25. Unbelievable.
  11. Darth Tater

12. Nemo

Ah Darth...you believe all the drivel that is served up these days. Against a team like Minnesota...a powerhouse like MSU will try new and unusual things before they meet up with the big boys. They won the game...that's all that matters. Remember...I picked a MSU / Penn State championship game for the Big Ten. Do you actually think that I would be wrong...

P.S. Just ignore what BillLaimbeer may say about my prediction ability...:)
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

lol! The problem is they didn't try anything new. The OC doesn't even have a handle on the basics, like getting the running game going to open up play action. Roushar has two (three if you include Caper) of the best backs in the conference yet State is last in rushing. There's no excuse for that, especially yesterday against Minnesota's 92nd ranked rushing defense on which State got only 107.

Roushar also makes poor use of his TE's. Dantonio really needs to demote him back to O-line coach and either call the plays himself, let Cousins call them (he's smart enough to do that), or a combination of both next week
  14. Nemo

You're right...I just don't want Darth to rag on the team any more.......
  15. Darth Tater

3 games remain.

MSU @ 7-2. Not too shabby. IMO, they are a "pretty good" team. In Drathian speak, that means somewhere between good and very good. ..but closer to the former.

They should be able to squeeze out 9 wins. So would you rather win 9 and go to a better bowl game and probably lose. Or win 8 and go to a bowl game that won't be quite so intimidating to Mr. Cousins?It would be nice to see them win after what...5 consecutive losses?

But I digress.

Here are my updated thoughts.

@ Iowa. Iowa is undefeated at home. They haven't won on the road. Even against Minnesota (who admittedly gave MSU all they could handle). I think Iowa wins this one. MSU has no running game. Their offensive coordinator seems more like a really good defensive coordinator...for the opposition. Does anyone else remember last season. Huge game in Iowa. MSU was crushed. This one will be much closer. Loss (7-3).

Indiana. Bottom of the Big ten barrel. Lose to these guys...at home... and you throw away all respect. Sparty may look very good or pretty lousy. Either way. Win (8-3) and guaranteed a bowl if it was ever in doubt.

@ Northwestern. You saw what these guys did to Nebraska. However, I think Sparty ends the regular season on a positive note. Win (9-3)

Does that put them in the Big ten Championship game? It would sure be fun.

Either way. 10-3 or 9-3 or 9-4 puts you in one of the better bowls. That hasn't turned out so well the past few seasons. So are we hoping for at least 9 wins???
  16. Nemo

I would prefer the Big Ten championship. Interesting that they could go 9-3 or 9-4...

Must be planning on a rainout....:)
  17. Darth Tater

That was a long post. Out of everything THAT is what you focus on, Halibut head??? :mob-smiley2:

So what about that Penn State stuff? Sheesh. What happened to integrity?
  18. Nemo

Joe Pa apparently reported the incident to the AD...for Many job positions, that is all that is required, to report the incident to your superior. Joe is the face of that entire University...and certainly had more obligation IMHO...

I imagine Penn State will be held accountable if lawsuits show up.........
  19. Darth Tater

Yeah. They are talking about Joe Pa's MORAL responsibility as being distinguished from his LEGAL responsibility.

They talk about it here:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...ug=pf-forde_paterno_not_regarded_target110711
  20. Nemo

Time to get back on track here in Spartans land. Look for MSU to roll against Iowa. They lost to these guys last season, and currently have a 7 game losing streak to fend off. Seeing Michigan lose a close one to Iowa last week should give prespective to this opponent. Actually, I'm looking for both MSU and Michigan to win this weekend. I will post my predicted score right after Darth Tater does.