MSU 2011-2012 Michigan State Spartans Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

which shows why Ohio State's new coach just banned the use of it.....

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

OSU will have to take extra measures to show they are on the right track.

I remember seeing some imflammatory MSU signs during the Sugar Bowl this season.

Can't remember what they said.......Something about Spartans crying. Anybody see those?

3. Nemo

Worthy is leaving MSU to go Pro............

He's 1st team all-american on the defensive line.

The last MSU D-lineman to be 1st team was Bubba Smith.

This move saddens me as this kid was also a good leader on the defense.

Rumors are also that the D-coordinator is leaving for Texas AM.........

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

6. Nemo

Also in BCS rankings..Michigan is 12th, while MSU is way down there at 17th.........probably cause of 3 losses. :pound:
    Yahoo users have Michigan at #2..........right behind Alabama...............AHH....relevant again.

7. Darth Tater

You keep talking about the old BCS rankings. Typical Michigan fan. Living in the past.

Last year, I think MSU was a top 11-15 team.

I would put Michigan in the top 18-25.

But like the pollsters, we all have an opinion.

Where would YOU place these teams? Be honest. I was.

8. Nemo

Michigan at 11-2.........let me think........top program, elite status.........ok, how bout 10th.
    MSU at 11-3........ahhh......little brother, newbie.....approaching elite status....ok, how bout 15th.

9. Darth Tater

Wait. Elite Status? They've been a joke the last few years. :crazy: Just because you were good a couple of decades ago SHOULD not earn you elite status. Based on Michigan's elite history, they should be ranked top 5 every year regardless of their record.

Just because MSU is a "newbie" doesn't put them below Michigan. The team they now OWN.

Michigan Logic...My grandfather used to play for them and his team was great. I just graduated from there (or knew somebody who knew somebody who did) this spring and we sucked 3 out of 4 years and were exposed by Michigan State every single year I attended the school. We had a pretty good year. We have lots of fans. Rich ones. The BCS bowls are about money so they will find any excuse or make any rule that gets us in. So even though we lose to you the last few years it doesn't matter because we are the better team.

You're right. I'm sure Michigan would be 12-2 if they had played Wisconsin twice.

10th?? Seriously.

I finally found a use for this smiley smoking Meth. :smoke06:

:takeitout:

10. Nemo

MSU has been inconsistent. They can beat Michigan, but they lose at the most inopportune times.
    Losing to Notre Dame, then a loss to Nebraska, before falling against Wisconsin.

Remember........a couple of weeks after you lost to Nebraska.........then Michigan dismantled them. :)

Remember.........Nebraska beats you guys 24-3........then Nebraska loses to Michigan 45-17................:)

This happened later, and is the factor that pollsters will remember.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yahoo users are usually pretty reliable...

After watching LSU-Alabama, I feel like no big ten team is capable of playing that kind of football in the near future. To be honest, the only time I care about rankings is when we are undefeated and still have a shot at getting into the National Championship game. After a loss or two, it's just so uninspiring.

They really need a playoff system (to beat a dead horse). Bowl games are such pointless exhibitions without that.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are there any other college sports where the National Champion is determined by a poll, or is football the lone example?

13. Nemo

I think there are 22 sanctioned team sports in NCAA athletics. BCS is the only championship determined using opinion, and several analytical factors. All other use a playoff system.

14. Nemo

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...2012_college_football_preseason_top_25_011012

Read this pre-season 2012 ranking of the top 25.............

You can see which of our rankings is closer to this one.............

To refresh your memory.........I stated Michigan 10th.........and MSU 15th..............

Remember..........these guys know that MSU has beaten UM 4 times in a row.......:)

15. Darth Tater

It really doesn't matter how they determine a champion, IMO. Even in professional sports the best team doesn't always win. In football the team that happens to be best or luckiest in the month of December wins. This year there are 6 NFL teams with 12 wins or more. Those are the best teams IMO. The Packers have 15 wins (15-1)!!! It would be a joke if the Giants (9 wins), Bengals (8 wins), or Broncos (8 wins) are the Super Bowl champions. But it COULD happen.

It's fun to debate about the college system and it IS very frustrating. To me it's a joke. But even so, when I see a wild card team in the Super Bowl or win the World Series I have to wonder what the lengthy regular season really means. The playoffs are fun and they make lots of money for the leagues, but I think as often as not, the best team does not win.

16. Darth Tater

That's cool, nemo. But I thought we were talking about who was the better team THIS year. Why must you Meechigan guys always look to the future or the past. If the two teams played today, with their current rosters, I have no reason to believe MSU would not kick Michigan's arse yet again. When was the last time the Paul Bunyan trophy resided in Ann Arbor?

Michigan very well MAY be a better team than MSU NEXT season. I don't know. But they were NOT a better team this year. Also don't think the brand name doesn't factor into the decision making. You guys finally had a winning season. Congratulations. Just be content with that. Maybe next year you will beat MSU and make it to the Big Ten Championship game. It is pretty cool. Just be careful not to tap the opposing punter's foo. But not to worry...they probably won't call that one on YOUR team if you get the same refs as you had in the Sugar Bowl.

I don't see Boise on the list. Hopefully these guys are correct about THAT one.

17. Nemo

I prefer the Bowl system because of its rich history and tradition. Thas been muddied up recently by all of the focus being placed on having a national champion. I liked it when Big Ten always played Pac 10 in the Rose Bowl. Other teams from our conference got invited to lesser bowls, which made for some exciting games as well. Now......everybody gets to play in a bowl.........as long as they don't have a losing record.
    I also liked it when the last Bowl games were played on January 1st. All the big contests were played that day.
    Pretty soon........they'll stretch out this bowl thing into February.........

I do have a soultion to all this madness.........

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff.........to start anyways.

The top 8 ranked teams would meet 2 weeks after the season ends.
    8 plays 1, 7 plays 2, and so on........games are played at the home field of the highest seeded team.
    An allotment of at least 25% of all tickets would be awarded for sale by the visiting team.

With 4 teams left.......two of the BCS bowls host these games pitting 1 against 4, and 2 against 3.
    These games would be played on January 1st.............

A week later..........a championship game is held........at another BCS location. The ONLY game after January 1st.

This plan could be expanded to include 16 teams, with another layer of playoffa being played between the end of the season.........and January 1st. I would suggest starting with 8 teams to verify that logistically...it would work.

18. Nemo

Nice points Darth.

I was operating from the opinion that we were ranking the teams.
    I do feel Michigan had a better season based on several factors........mostly their comparative records.
    I also believe that MSU probably would beat Michigan again.
    I just wish that MSU brought that fire against every opponent. They didn't, and their season suffered for it.
    Next season should bode well for both teams. We both have big games.........
    Michigan is expected to lose to Alabama. MSU is expected to beat Boise St.
    That means we get the biegger game. I hope UM stands tall.
    I also hope that MSU clobbers Boise St............

I hope that I've answered your concerns about how I feel about the teams.

19. Darth Tater

I feel a little better about the Boise State game, but not much. The fact that it is the first game of the season worries me. Their coach is very smart and crafty.

I think Michigan will lose to Alabama. That is not a knock on Michigan, but respect for Alabama. I'm glad the Spartans don't have to play them.

Your game will be played in the Dallas Cowboy's stadium. Pretty exciting. I'm pretty sure it will be the marquee game that week.

20. Darth Tater

@ Smelt Snout:

Final 2011 rankings:

MSU #11 Hmmm..He agrees with me. Must not be too bright, huh?

U of M #13 (They guessed prior to the 2011 season the U of M was #36). I would say greatly UNDER rated last season, and Moderately OVER rated this season.

But this is just one person's opinion.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=mh-huguenin_college_football_120_rankings_011112

Did anyone here already suggest a 16 team playoff system, with the rest of the teams going to the Potato and Pizza Bowls and stuff like that?
    It wasn't my idea. I read the suggestion on some other website months ago. It stuck in my mind. I liked it.

That way everyone should be happy. The fans, the bowls, the coaches, etc.

Even U of M fans would be happy. We could just automatically put Michigan as the #1 seed irregardless of their record and then have some system in place where the others earn their spot.