U of M 2011-2012 University of Michigan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Tough...hard fought victory for the Home Team. 40-34 against a gritty opponent who devised an excellent offensive game plan.

10-2 overall is an excellent season which helps to distance the program from the Rich Rod years........:)

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Pretty unsatisfying win if you ask me. I know UM devotees will disagree. UM's defense was terrible. I think part of it was due to a good game plan by OSU, but I saw a few blown coverages. 1-7 vs. OSU and MSU over the past four years. Whoopdee-do.

On the positive side. I really like Brady Hoke and think he gives UM good opportunities in the future.

3. Nemo

All of your post is true. As a devotee, I pretty much posted the same as you...except my words were much kinder. I'm so happy that the stupid AD who hired Rich Rod is also no longer with the program.

0-6 against MSU and OSU is all on RichRod. He was a slimey germ who never shoulda been hired...

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I can see now maybe RRod sucked or Hoke is 10 times better.

5. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hoke doesn't think he's the smartest guy in the room. He hires people who are smarter than he is, to coach the offense and defense. RRod always thought he was the smartest guy and hired coaches dumber then he was. He has the same problem as Ron Zook of Illinois. They're both gone now!

Nemo likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was 90% sure that the instant replay on the goal line was not going to overturn the call. And then the 25 yard penalty??? That would have really been one of the most painful losses in school history if OSU would have connected on that deep pass at the end. Feels nice to finally be back on track. It's amazing what coaching can do for a football team.

7. Nemo

This is so true...an excellent observation. I bet that I knew this subconsciously but never stated as such.
    Actually...Wayne Fontes was also good at hiring excellent assistants...

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I couldn't quite bring myself to root for U of M yesterday even though I really wanted them to win in order to hurt Boise State's BCS chances. Congratulations!

So if i understand all of this correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong, nemo anyone. The problem is that Michigan was ranked number 15 in the BCS poll last week and you need to be 14 or better. Nobody ahead of them lost. (I was also rooting for the teams ahead of U of M and MSWU for the same reason).

So unless U of M gets a top 14 they can't get an at large (i.e. Fiesta Bowl) berth. There are some games next week. If #14 Sparty loses to Wisconsin then U of M moves past them. I hope it is someone else that gets U of M in (if it means keeping Boise out).

Sparty's rank doesn't matter to them as far as a BCS game, really. Win the Big Ten and they go to the BCS Rose Bowl, regardless of rank. Lose to Wisconsin and they get the Capital One or Outback. It's kind of too bad, because they got left out when the BCS bowls picked they tied with two other teams for the conference championship and they were the ones left out.

At any rate, U of M may not have moved up from #15 this week, so they may need Sparty to lose...although knowing the stupid pollsters, they probably moved the Wolverines past Sparty anyhow. But I sort of hope they DID, because it helps U of M (unfortunately:stirthepot:) but should kill Boise State and doesn't hurt Sparty who needs to win next week anyhow!

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What a confusing system. I think they should just let Stern pick the National Champ based on his observations.

10. Nemo

Michigan does need to be in the top 14 of the BCS poll to qualify for a BCS game. Michigan will move ahead of MSU if you guys lose, based on the better overall record...(2 losses vs 3 losses)

There are a plethera of games next weekend...including some teams which are ranked above Michigan. Some of them will also be playing in their conference championship games.

I'm going to assume that UM will not leapfrog over anybody this weekend if all the other teams ahead of them also won this past week. I fully expect Michigan to make the pool of teams to be considered for a BCS games since other teams will in fact lose next week.

There is alos a rule that there must be 10 pool teams for BCS committee's consideration for the at large spots.
    If there are not 10 right now...then they will go lower than the 14th ranked BCS team to acquire additional candidates.

I would prefer Michigan gain access to a BCS game based on a 10-2 record and by being ranked in the top 14. I also will be rooting for MSU in their game against Wisconsin. For me....that game is more important than Michigan getting a BCS bowl game.................

11. Darth Tater

Most projections I''ve seen today have Michigan in the Sugar.

12. Darth Tater

Michigan is 16th. You'll hop over the loser of MSU/Wisconsin. That puts you 15th assuming nobody else leapfrogs you guys. Who else are you planning on leaping over??? You need to be #14, right?

Maybe Oklahoma if the lose to Oklahoma State.

Maybe there is somebody else/ But who? I sure hope you get in :cheerleader: or Boise is going to make it, I think.

13. Nemo

All I'll do is wait and see where they end up. MSU still has business to take care of.........

14. Nemo

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

Try reading this to understand the BCS process. I got a headache trying to understand...

15. Nemo

Looks like Urban Meyer will be named coach of the OSU.

He's quit football before do to an inability to manage stress.

He had 30 players arrested during his 6 years at Florida.

He is 7-1 in Bowl Games.....................

The Gators lost the Capital One Bowl to Michigan 41–35 on January 1, 2008, his only bowl loss.

His won/loss percentage is similar to Lloyd Carr's at Michigan.........

16. Nemo

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just looking at the schedule for next year-

I'd say that overall, it could be the toughest schedule in the big ten... actually, MSU's is probably on par with it.

Alabama + @ND + @Nebraska + @OSU

The good news about starting with such a big game is that we'll have a senior QB and Hoke's system will be pretty much established.

Also, no hellish stretches. MSU/ Nebraska back to back and later Iowa/ OSU, but that's to be expected. Nothing like what the Spartans had to go through this year.

It reminds me a bit of the schedule that Michigan had in 1997. If you have a National Championship hopeful, then you want some challenges early to get low in the polls.

September 1 vs. Alabama (in Arlington, TX) TBA TBA
    September 8 Air Force TBA TBA
    September 15 Massachusetts TBA TBA
    September 22 @ Notre Dame 3:30 p.m. NBC
    October 6 @ Purdue TBA TBA
    October 13 Illinois TBA TBA
    October 20 Michigan State TBA TBA
    October 27 @ Nebraska TBA TBA
    November 3 @ Minnesota TBA TBA
    November 10 Northwestern TBA TBA
    November 17 Iowa TBA TBA
    November 24 @ Ohio State TBA TBA

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

wow. What's up with only 6 home games? Haven't they had 8 the last few years? Scheduling Alabama is sort of a shocker.

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

3 games before ND=good

20. Nemo

I'd love to administer a beatdown on any Saban team.
    He's a traitor for leaving MSU..........