U of M 2011-2012 University of Michigan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

no way!
    lol

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sousaphone players get all the chicks.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

[​IMG]

Here's one for the UM fans...

[​IMG]

4. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Internet, what's that???

But, nice T-shirt!

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You guys will LOVE this. There must be some Wolverine alumni doing this poll.

TEAM THAT WILL SURPRISE
    : Michigan. Rich Rodriguez was inching closer to a breakthrough. Brady Hoke will do it. The roster has talent, especially on offense, and the defensive personnel is young and maturing. There's a standout coaching staff led by Al Borges (offensive coordinator) and Greg Mattison (defensive coordinator) to put everyone in place to succeed.

WHICH TEAM WILL BE THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT?
    Olin Buchanan: Michigan State
    Tom Dienhart: Penn State
    David Fox: Iowa
    Mike Huguenin: Michigan State
    Steve Megargee: Michigan State

THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE?
    Olin Buchanan: Michigan QB Denard Robinson
    Tom Dienhart: Michigan QB Denard Robinson
    David Fox: Michigan QB Denard Robinson
    Mike Huguenin: Michigan QB Denard Robinson
    Steve Megargee: Michigan QB Denard Robinson

BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYER: Michigan QB Denard Robinson. The man they call "Shoelace" is one of the most explosive players in the nation. The 2010 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year, Robinson is the quintessential one-man gang, a guy who can score every time he touches the ball. He paced the Big Ten with 1,702 rushing yards - an NCAA single-season record for a quarterback - despite missing significant chunks of games with injuries.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1245778

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a little skeptical on their idea to convert the offense back to pro style.

Why?

They just had one of the greatest offensive years in their history and they have the guy who ran in it as a sophomore.

Can't they just leave the offense untouched and work on the D?

7. Darth Tater

Not a good start for your boys. I wonder what happened?

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP)—Michigan tight end Chris Barnett has left the team.
    The school confirmed the move Thursday.

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound freshman from Hurst, Texas, was a highly regarded player in Brady Hoke’s first recruiting class earlier this year. Barnett was ranked as a top 20 prospect by recruiting analysts. He was projected as a future starter because No. 1 tight end Kevin Koger is a senior.
    Fellow freshman Tony Posada, an offensive lineman, and junior receiver Je’Ron Stokes, who had three career receptions, have also left the program since Hoke took over for the fired Rich Rodriguez.

Freshman TE Chris Barnett leaves Michigan - College Football - Rivals.com

8. Nemo

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, that is the easiest schedule in history!

10. Darth Tater

Really? When was the last time you guys beat MSU or Apalachian State?

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though we lost to AS, we still beat MSU that year. It actually wasn't a terrible season with a 2nd place finish in the Big 10.

And the AS game was a great football game as AS had the longest winning streak in the nation at 14 games coming into it. It was such a close match-up that Vegas wouldn't even offer a betting line.

Here's a recap of the UM-MSU game that year:

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hear "Open" doesn't stop the run very well.

13. Darth Tater

Uhmmmm...all very nice. However, my question was:

When was the last time you guys beat MSU or Apalachian State?

14. Nemo

Darth...you should be drooling over your team's chances this year. You have a special QB who only comes around once every generation. Your team is loaded for the upcoming season...and all you can write about is MIchigan. Everybody knows the recent history of football. What nobody understands is why you need to look at it. Are you worried that MSU's run against UM is over. Are you upset that the year that UM lost to ApState...they beat the Spartans...

I hope that you really get behind your team this season...like I got behind MSU last season...Your below standards attempt at being an MSU fan last season was shocking. Their 11-1 season was really special and you don't talk about that at all. Please join me on the MSU bandwagon...not only with a single statement...but all throughout the season...We don't need any HATERS on the MSU side...:)

15. Darth Tater

MSU had a magical season. They did a good job but were also very lucky. They were a good team. However, they lost the huge games. Cousins is a wonderful kid. But he looks like a deer caught in the headlights against the best teams.

This year the most important games for me are:

1. Michigan
    2. Bowl game if we go to a bowl
    3. Nebraska
    4.Ohio State
    5.Iowa or Wisconsin
    6. Notre dame

Next year:
    1.Boise State
    2.Michigan

16. Nemo

I viewed the season last year differently. I didn't see a lot of luck. I saw good coaching. Excellent team leadership, and some promising play to hang your hat on. There were two games in which they got beat soundly. I believe that iowa played their best game of the year against you guys. Remember...that Iowa had only a mediocre season frought with frustration. Alabama was frustrated cause they didn't get back to the championship game. I knew that they were not a team to wish for during Bowl season...State just came up flat in two big games.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You guys haven't won a bowl game since the Silicon Valley Classic... only 1 Rose Bowl since 1966... your last National Championship was sort of gifted to you due to a situational quirk.

... having said all that, I wish you the best this year.

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

hmmm...the Official NCAA Division 1 Records Book shows MSU 3 times in the list of consensus National Champions and UM only once. Must be a typo...

Nice try, Zingerman's breath :)

[​IMG]

19. Darth Tater

Don't they teach reading comprehension at U of M??

Once again...Uhmmmm...all very nice. However, my question was...

When was the last time U of M defeated Michigan State???

20. Nemo

Darth...Michigan has 11 national championships...

You need to understand that Michigan football is older than the NCAA sanctioning body is. Our national championships were determined by national press and coaches votes before the NCAA became official.

From Wiki

The Michigan Wolverines football program represents the University of Michigan in college football at the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) level. Michigan has the most all-time wins and the highest winning percentage in college football history. The team is known for its distinctive winged helmet, its fight song, its record-breaking attendance figures at Michigan Stadium, and its many rivalries, particularly its annual season-ending game against Ohio State, once voted as ESPN's best sports rivalry.
    Michigan began competing in intercollegiate football in 1879. The Wolverines joined the Big Ten Conference at its inception in 1896, when the conference was commonly known as the Western Conference, and have been members since with the exception of a hiatus from 1907 to 1916. Michigan has won or shared 42 league titles, more than any other football program in any conference. Since the inception of the AP Poll in 1936, Michigan has finished in the top 10 a record 37 times. The Wolverines claim 11 national championships, most recently that of the 1997 squad voted atop the final AP Poll.
    From 1900 to 1989, Michigan was led by a series of nine head coaches, each of whom have been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame either as a player or as a coach. Fielding H. Yost became Michigan's head coach in 1901 and guided his "Point-a-Minute" squads to a streak of 56 games without a defeat spanning from his arrival until the season finale in 1905, including a victory in the 1902 Rose Bowl, the first college football bowl game ever played. Fritz Crisler brought his winged helmet from Princeton University in 1938 and led the 1947 Wolverines to a national title and Michigan's second Rose Bowl win. Bo Schembechler coached the team for 21 seasons (1969–1989) in which he won 13 Big Ten titles and a program-record 194 games. The Wolverines were the winningest Division 1A program during the 1970s.

Now if you want Darth...We can put Little brother's record up here, but I'll assume that Michigan and it's numbers speak for itself...

1. Michigan has the most all-time wins....not the 46th most.
    2. The highest winning percentage in college football history....not the 42nd best.
    3. Michigan has won or shared 42 league titles....not just 2 in the last 45 years.
    4. More football titles than any other football program in any conference...ha, ha, ha ,ha..
    5. Since the inception of the AP Poll in 1936, Michigan has finished in the top 10 a record 37 times....not 7 times...he, he, he, he, :)
    6. Fielding H. Yost became Michigan's head coach in 1901 and guided his "Point-a-Minute" squads to a streak of 56 games without a defeat. not 12 in a row...
    7. The Wolverines were the winningest Division 1A program during the 1970s...not 47th.