U of M 2011-2012 University of Michigan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

It's rare that Michigan wins by a lot of points in big games like this one.

A lot really depends on Denard and Fitz..........Gotta pass and throw well to look good this game.

Michigan 42

Nebraska 20
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

As of today, whichever team wins this one, IF they win their next game (Michigan has Ohio St. and Nebraska has Iowa)and therefore finish 10-2, actually does have a great shot at the Fiesta Bowl as an at-large selection if it is in the BCS top 16.

If Stanford goes undefeated they could get in too.

If those things don't happen, BSU (NOOOOOO), Clemson, or Va. Tech are currently in line.

MSU won't make it over Stanford or the two Big Ten teams. They don't have the brand name plus they would lose the extra game to Wisconsin in the Big ten championship making them 10-3 rather than 10-2 like the others. Of course the Rose Bowl awaits if they somehow win their last 2 (Indiana and Northwestern) and hence get a shot at the 3rd game.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Stanford lost to Oregon last week, so they won't go undefeated. Do you mean for the rest of the season?
  4. Darth Tater

Yeah. Here is how it shakes out as of yesterday according to the Idaho Statesman. Even though it is about BSU you can use it as a guide. That's a big reason I don't mind if Michigan wins...if it keeps BSU out. I only checked because I was hating on BSU and wanted to see what their chances were. The BSU loss made me happier than any other college game this year except Sparty and the Wolverins. That's how much I despise them. Not the kids on the team. The fans.

The people out here hate uof M because they are "arrogant, smug, and have a sense of entitlement). Well, maybe so but at least they PLAY REAL TEAMS. BSU claims, "We will play anyone anywhere". Well, the fans still say it. The team can't because they whimped out of an offer for a home and home with Nebraska a couple years ago. I love that Nebraska called their bluff. All you hear is BSU crap here. All over the papers, television, etc. But they seemed to bury that Nebraska news, somehow.

But I digress (or I took "Moosetracks" again as my wife calls it right before launching something hard at my head) I never heard the term "Moosetracks" before, so i figure I can still do it whatever it is, until I find out, and you guys have nothing better to read on here these days because nobody is here to type it...or at least hardly anyone is doing it, writing that is, IF they ARE here). But about Michigan...well...BSU...but let's not go there again...

BCS GAME AS AN AT-LARGE
    The Fiesta Bowl took the Broncos as an at-large team in 2009, and it’s possible that could happen this year. Teams must finish in the top 14 of the BCS standings to be eligible for at-large selection, and no conference can get more than two BCS invites.
    So Boise State probably needs the SEC and Big 12 to crowd the top 14 (they hold eight spots now), Stanford to lose again, the Big Ten to finish with only its champ in the top 14 and Boise State to emerge as the most attractive option left for the last at-large spot.
    Right now, Houston would get the non-BCS spot and leave three at-large slots. Alabama and Oklahoma would get two, with Stanford, Boise State and Virginia Tech or Clemson fighting for the last spot — likely in the Fiesta Bowl.
    If the Big Ten has a team other than its champ in the top 14, though, the Fiesta probably goes that route

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/11/16/1880479/boise-states-bowl-scenariosby.html#ixzz1dyWyW2xX
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Boise State is as good as advertised despite the weaker schedule. Everyone turns down games. Everyone has annoying fans (except BYU).
  6. Darth Tater

Really?????????

Or are they full of crap with that "We will play "ANYONE ANYWHERE" crap?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-boise-state-2-for-1-deal-why-wont-bsu-accept

Boise state has a very good team. But they play a team with some status their very first game of every year. They win. Take a week off before their next game. Play a bunch of 2nd rate teams the rest of the year. If they played in the Big ten and took a pounding week after week do you really think they would go undefeated or lose one game every year.

MSU beat Ohio State, Michigan and then Wisconsin before losing to Nebraska all in consecutive weeks!!!! But they lose the final one and are penalized while Boise State gets all this BCS consideration because they are undefeated. During that stretch Boise played teams like Colorado State and Air force! Are you kidding me? Does anyone really believe Kellen Moore would make all those passing records if he constantly played against defenses that pushed his little offensive lineman all over the place? NOT.
  7. coynejeremy

I think the system is flawed and corrupt. That's not Boise's fault. But I think they are on par with the best teams in the country. How they hypothetically might perform if they were in a BCS conference that they are not in doesn't diminish their accomplishments.
  8. Darth Tater

They won't play more than one big boy a year. Then they cry about the BCS. While the BCS may indeed be flawed, and I think it is, it doesn't mean BSU should go to a BCS game. Do you know they still could get in as an at large because all of the teams competing with them are playing non-High School caliber competition.

What valid excuse did they have to run away from nebraska's offer? Why would Nebraska want to play them instead of a cupcake before the Big Ten schedule. ?BSU is good. When Nebraska is playing 6 or so other good teams that year why should they PAY Boise extra money so that Boise can possibly build their program/reputation off of them?? Nebraska is entitled to get something out of the deal. They are going to lose Booku bucks playing at that tiny BSU stadium.

BSU will probably beat Sparty in East Lansing their first game next year. That will be it. Then on to the New Mexico States or whomever of the World. That one game will be their springboard to an automatic BCS berth. Beating SPARTY? Are you kidding me? They will sit around rooting for Sparty the rest of the season hoping that it gains BSU extra points. How many other teams would go undefeated with a BSU schedule? Two dozen?

These people are ridiculous. if i walked into a Wal Mart tonight, near the front of the store, on a big screen television they would be running the Fiesta bowl game from several years ago. But about 4 people will be standing in front of the television enthralled. I'm not kidding.

I'm like isn't it boring literally watching your team win by 40 or more every game after the first one?

I find myself even defending the University of Michigan around these fools. They are one to talk about a sense of entitlement.
    linwood likes this.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ha Ha! Let 'em have it Darth! I don't think Boise will win that Sparty game next year.
  10. coynejeremy

Michigan State would [likely] go undefeated with Boise State's schedule. Does that make Michigan State a bad team? That seems to be an extension of your reasoning here.

If you're talking about the flaw in the system that is ranking Boise State ahead of teams like Michigan State, then we're on the same page. But I cannot fault Boise State for exploiting the flawed and corrupt system that is the BCS when year in and year out most BCS teams benefit from that same very system. You can't have a system that doesn't allow certain teams to "sit at the table" (I'm talking about money here), and then when those teams beat you, discount their accomplishments because they're not "sitting at the big boys' table". It's not an even playing field. Boise State and all other non-BCS teams are at a competitive disadvantage vs the BCS teams. But when they are able to somewhat overcome that by beating some good teams a few times a year and taking advantage of the flawed BCS ranking system, I say they deserve everything they get.
  11. Nemo

Darth is just preparing for the defeat. Even if they're sure to win...he likes to prepare.
  12. Nemo

A lot of MSU fans already complain about the lack of respect they get even in their own home state. I've heard that the Metro Detroit sportcasters slant the college football towards Michigan. One year...when the License Plates were in the Michigan colors, State fans complained about being slighted. Even this season...with both Michigan and MSU having equal 8-2 records...many State fans feel upset now about Michigan because they'll probably get the better bowl game. So it surprises me when Darth complains about Boise...when they suffer from the same plight as MSU...when it comes to earning respect.

I'm not sure that MSU will beat Boise next season though. The QB who is the team leader I think is in his senior year this season. Without him...they'll struggle to maintain their current level of success.
  13. Darth Tater

The system stinks. Something needs to be done. Yeah, BSU is beating a system where everyone tries to beat it. Including the system trying to beat itself. It is an uneven playing field as you point out. But that doesn't make BSU a team that most of the country wants to see in a BCS Bowl until they show they deserve it by defeating more than one ranked team during in an entire season.
  14. Darth Tater

BSU is losing Kellen Moore just like MSU is losing Cousins. But I think BSU's coach is brillant and he always has them prepared for their ONE big game of the year. MSU will give lip service but won't take them as seriously as they should until it is too late. They will eventually wear them down but fall short like every other team has.

Yes, I've always thought that there was a big slant toward U of M over MSU in the state. But I understand that there are many more wolverine fans because of their legacy. I don't like it and it honestly peeves me but until the Dantonio era, MSU usually wasn't very good.

The bowls know that U of M will bring in more money and is a "brand name" so a 10-2 Michigan team (or even 9-3) will be chosen over a 10-2 MSU team despite the fact that MSU beat U of M by a couple of touchdowns and played the same competition. But that's OK because maybe MSU will have a chance to win against a South Carolina instead of an Arkansas.
  15. coynejeremy

I think we mostly agree. I'm just saying that Boise State is not the problem, they are the symptom. They are highly ranked because of their history of success against good teams and because of their weaker conference opponents. On the other hand, many BCS teams are highly ranked simply because of their popularity, their team's or conference's reputation and their wins over the Florida Atlantics of their schedules. I'm not sure how to fix the ranking system when you have so many teams that don't play each other every year, but I root for teams like Boise State every week to upset the establishment and cause as much chaos as possible.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice prediction. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while.....

[​IMG]
  17. Nemo

Thanks Bill. 45-17 became rether easy with Nebraska having many miscues...
    Still....Michigan played an excellent game.
  18. Darth Tater

Very impressive victory over a good Nebraska team. Congratulations!
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

20. Darth Tater

Wolverines do to the Buckeyes after 7 years what Sparty has done to the Wolverines over the last four years.

:wedgie:

U of M 31

OSU 17