1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2011 CBA Negotiations Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

After the 1998-99 lockout, TV ratings and ticket sales declined and remained below pre-lockout levels in subsequent seasons.

2. max

max All-Star

This is a nice discussion of the small market forces at play here.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/Lockout-111104/owners-squabbles-not-players-real-issue

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That sounds like the perfect opportunity to try out my idea of drafting an entire roster of guys with the last name "Williams".

4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yep....and in Detroit there is also the loss of Eli Zaret to figure into the equation. It's a double whammy.

5. max

max All-Star

Thing is - it is a pretty fun sport to watch, College is just not the same. Most casual fans do not watch until the playoffs anyway. I think back in 1998-99 is when Jordan and some of the other heavy weights retired so that factored in.

I think they will take a hit but as long as they settle by the end of November they should be ok.

6. max

max All-Star

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...ng-player-representatives-tuesday-sources-say

This could be it. Looks like Fisher is getting ready to shift the blame for accepting a perceived bad deal on the union reps from each team. That is if they want to accept it, or if the players tell them they want to accept it.

So it could be either a deal this Wed or decertification and probably no deal at all this season. A deal this Wed would mean the season starting sometime during the week of Dec 5. They should take the deal, looks like this is the best they are going to get.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How much money do the bad owners make in the NBA? That isn't really published, but knowing it may make you feel similar disgust. Nobody forces owners to overpay players, they bid them up themselves. And many times, it's not even the owner's fault, it is guys like Joe Dumars (former players). Counterbalancing that are all of the players who are outperforming their contracts that you don't think about. If there is inequality between big market and small market teams' ability to pay competitive prices for FA's (like the Yankees over the Reds), then I feel like they have a reason to restructure. But the NBA formula seems to provide for pretty nice parity opportunities (the Knicks never win and San Antonio always does for example).

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. max

max All-Star

The players salaries have always been obscene and unevenly distributed. Capatalism at work, agents get what they can for the players and owners get what they can from the fans. It all worked because all the fans really wanted was for it to start on time and for everyone to try as hard as they could.

Main thing that bugs me in all this is how callous these hardline small market owners are to the fans in all this. I get the impression that some really do not care who it affects if there is a season at all. One owner was quoted as even saying that he did not care if this laster for 2 seasons in order to get what he wants. Its the part that makes you feel like you are getting played when they assume that we will be lining up to buy their tickets and merchandise once this lockout ends - no matter how long it takes.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There are 2 parties in disagreement here. So, either side could cave if they really cared about the fans more than themselves... but neither side does. And the fans care about the fans more than the owners or the players, so it all makes sense. I think that what it really comes down to is that the owners don't want to allow the precedent of having the unions beat them in a negotiation. That would make it more likely for them to get challenged in the future (i.e. it's a slippery slope). So, they know they have more staying power and they are counting on the players caving once their rank and file start missing mortgage payments. The fan backlash may hurt them in the short run, but in the long run, with less union challenges, they think they'll come out ahead.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Players could last for 2 years or more. They'd just have to find jobs overseas. If Stuckey can draw interest, than I believe that most could. They would also have to sell expensive homes, and change their lifestyles. Such a move would be drastic, but would show that they mean business. Owners feel they can't lose this as they feel the stars will be back sooner or later. What if the players just left and never came back.

Heck...China has over 150 cities with a million players or more. Plenty of locations to start a new league.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The owners could also hire scabs. Rodney White and Mateen Cleeves will be in extremely high demand.

13. max

max All-Star

Thats very true and we should keep that in mind that it is a business and everyone is trying to maximise their position.

But the owners want to pulverise the players stance. If this deadline passes without a response then the owners current offer will reset back to their original proposition before all this started.

14. max

max All-Star

Look for a deal soon.

Despite all the threats and tough talk they appear to have agreed on a 50/50 split and are working out "system issues"

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are saying besides Yao Ming, there may be another 150,000,000 players in China?

16. Nemo

Interesting gaffe by me. I figured that it would be you who caught it. Actually, I wanted to say that there are 150 cities with over 1 million people each...Compared to maybe 12 here in the USA....

17. max

max All-Star

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7214333/sources-options-discussed-nba-draft-order-no-season

For all who wondered. But I don't think it will come down to that. The new deadline offer is to be decided over the weekend and I think the players have to accept it.

Cheer up all!! Lot of these changes are really going to help us out. Plus that amnesty player cut alone makes it well worth the wait - assuming they can start by Dec 15 - Stern's projected start date if the players accept.

18. Nemo

Players are collecting signatures to disban the union, so there is a signifigant group which is not happy. Stern is also presenting this as the final offer again. That is a message that the players are getting tired of. Nobody likes a bully. He has made little change to his last proposal which was the last final offer. Union leadership is not happy with the latest proposal since some of the more signifigant issues haven't been resolved. Still, they want the committee to review this over the next few days. Stern is trying to shove a 72 game schedule into effect, even with a December 15th start date.

I say no to this Stern bullying. Players should disban the union and go play in other countries....

19. max

max All-Star

I initially thought it was Stern too. But I think Stern is just trying to get something through before the owners change their mind and want a better deal. Many owners want 47% for the players with a total hard cap. Stern had to twist some arms to get them to agree to 50/50 with some concessions on the hard cap. Stern is facing much grief from the small market owners ( led by MJ ) and does not know how much longer he can keep the offer alive - hence the deadline. Since then Dan Gilbert has softened his stance a bit giving him some wiggle room but its not going to last for much longer.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...spleasure-david-stern-50-50-offer-sources-say

20. Nemo

They'll be lucky if this deal passes with so much dissention in both camps.

Interesting how both sides can be so near, yet so far. Part of the trappings of an extended battle.