2011 CBA Negotiations Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Aug 5, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

If they do push through non-guaranteed contracts then wouldn't that have the untended consequences of pushing salaries up since the risk factor would be reduced?

Most of this from what I guess are the small markets trying to protect themselves but after awhile the larger markets will weigh in with more reasonable requests - I would think. Problem is some of the smaller areas are struggling so I don't know how much that will factor in. There are just too many teams in the league.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I would like an out of sorts... contracts stay solid... but say once every three years you can drop a contract from your salary cap hit... player is no longer on your team but you still have to owe the money. If the player gets picked up your on the hook for the difference.
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like a significant step by the league to me. The numbers I've seen before has been ridiculous stuff like $45M next year and $25M cap in 2016.

From what I understand the only way to surpass this cap is by minimum contracts and signing own FA's. No MLE and stuff like that.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A cap of $62 million seems like a lot, but when Hamilton ($12.65), Gordon ($11.6), and Villanueva ($7.54) take up half of that amount, it seems depressing to me.
  5. Mogilny

Quality doesn't come cheap.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They take half the shots and they play on half the court, so it makes sense.
  7. BillLaimbeer

Thanks, guys. I feel much better now.
  8. max

max All-Star

Thanks for the info. Looks very hopeful.
  9. Mogilny

And lockout is imminent again... I guess it will be hard to come to terms without exceptions like the MLE the way the players union is constructed. With only a few stars and the future rookies not in the league yet the incentives for the union is to make sure the money lost is taken from the stars and the rookies as usual (max/rookie contracts) and keep stuff that drives up their salaries.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Nice dream - after lockout players simply have to give up. For owners one year stand by is nothing but for athletes every year counts.

And it is very clear by now - there is no economic boom in waiting.
  11. Mogilny

I meant come to terms pre-lockout. I care more about getting a full 2011-12 season than I care about who makes the most money from this deal.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Owners simply have upper hand now( although nobody foresaw it) and for players it is better to understand.

After one year lockout, owners' stance is even stronger.
  13. max

max All-Star

It would be devastating for the league if they missed a whole season. No one would have to worry much about what the cap was with all the revenue destruction that would have taken place.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It really is amazing how many pro athletes live paycheck to paycheck. It kills their ability to bluff.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Remember when Latrell Sprewell couldn't even feed his family. Minnesota only offered him like $21 million. Poor kids...
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In the regular course of business, they can bluff, because there is always another sucker team out there willing to overpay.

But in a lockout situation, they are negotiating from an extreme position of weakness. The Tom Gores of the World will still sleep at night if their NBA hobby teams take a little hiatus.

I guess at this point though, the players could just jet for Europe to earn some spending money.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If the 19 year old age restriction is reversed in the negotiations this year, next year's draft could be incredibly heavy, right? It would contain all of the 19 year olds that put in their mandatory college year and it would also contain all of the 18 year olds coming out of high school who are pro ready.

It would be very deep as it would be like a double wave, so anyone that traded for extra picks next year would be in the money (although I just looked and I see a lot of bonus 2nd round picks for a lot of teams that are top x protected).
  18. BillLaimbeer

Even if the age restriction stays the same, many experts have deemed the 2012 draft as the strongest since 2003.

The Pistons also have the Rockets 2nd round pick next year (Chase Budinger trade).
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm hoping that the Budinger trade works out for us.
    It really hasn't so far.
  20. BillLaimbeer

In addition to the 2nd round pick, Houston also gave Detroit cash considerations. How many dollars do you think Chase is worth?