2011 Draft Class

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What happen to last years automated lottery machine that gave us the odds that every 5th time I rolled the dice we got John Wall or Amin Farouq , but never Greg Monroe?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can't automate Joe Dumar's thinking....

Whatever happened to Amin Farouq, by the way?
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Clippers drafted him and he started about 5 or 6 games, and has played in all but one of their games this season. he averages about 6 ppg.

Very athletic, but wants to shoot when he's out there and I have seen the coach yank him a couple of times when he makes his typical rookie mistakes.
  4. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

For me, this draft is a good one among the highest picks but don't expect very good players from the mid 1st and second round.

I will go with Irving without think about it.

This is my list that Detroit must pursue (in order):

- Kyrie Irving
    - Harrison Barnes (probably skip Draft to go back to UNC)
    - Perry Jones
    - Enes Kanter
    - Derrick Williams (Michael Beasley type of player, dominant in the NCAA but we will have to wait and see what will happen with him in the NBA)
    - Brandon Knight (Yes, I saw him play a lot of games for Kentucky and I like what I saw, he is a better version of Stuckey. Yet, He is not a PG but the only PG this year is Irving. Brandon is better at the Point than Kemba Walker (whose height is an issue like Ty Lawson's is)
    - Jonas Valanciunas (Who said Darko 3.0 ?)
    - John Henson (Marcus Camby typo of player according to what I read)

For the Second round I think we should grab some taller guys, Don't know if anyone of the Morris' brothers (Kansas) will be available. Keith Faried would be awesome But I think he will end up among mid late of the first round.

And is not too soon.. I've been watching this year's draft since exactly 1 year ago, since the McDonald's All-american game. (Like I'm doing right now starting to watch the 2012 Draft)

Sullinger is out for this draft, that's why I don't put him there.
  5. BillLaimbeer

Unless the ping pong ball gods are on our side or a trade is in the works, Irving, Williams, Kanter and possibly Jones will be gone by the time Joe Dumars is on the clock. We have no picks near where Faried will go. Barnes and Henson are 2012 guys.

That leaves Brandon Knight, a Morris brother, and Valanciunas.

I like Monroe and Jerebko. Pistons REALLY need a PG. Irving would be awesome. Can Brandon Knight run the show for an NBA team?
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons 2011 Draft Prospects

Aight, a bit early, but hey. Nothing else to do these days. So, let's discuss it.

I'll kick it off: I've been playing around with the mock draft thingie on ESPN:
    ESPN - 2011 NBA Lottery Mock Draft

Brandon Knight
    Brandon Knight | NBADraft.net
    Stuckey/Bynum replacement with a seemingly better shooting touch, but so far it seems equally bad decision making. I'm not convinced that he'd be an upgrade over Stuckey.

Donatas Motiejunas
    Donatas Motiejunas | NBADraft.net
    a.k.a. the other "DM".
    Great. A young finesse 7 footer with the initial DM from Europe who has the attitude of Sheed but not the skills.

Jonas Valanciunas
    Jonas Valanciunas | NBADraft.net
    This is the guy the game picks for Detroit the most. Yet another big man with potential that isn't very explosive. Sounds intresting, but can this team handle two Jonases? Somehow Jonas & Jonas doesn't sound as intimidating as Wallacex2.

Jan Vesely
    Jan Vesely | NBADraft.net
    The scouting report says that he's not a go-to guy, but an energy player who gets most of his points via putbacks and picking up the trash. We got two of those in JJ and Monroe. Do we really need a third? Plus he's under contract until 2013, so if we draft him, we're gonna likely park him overseas for two years as I don't see us buying out his contract. Oh, and did I mention that he's a SF that is as tall as a PF? Kinda like Daye. We certainly don't need two of those.

Perry Jones
    Perry Jones | NBADraft.net
    Although there are some questions about his long term potential, he still seems like a good athlete that might worth the risk. I don't know.

Enes Kanter
    Enes Kanter | NBADraft.net
    Odd thing about this guy. Several places list him as one of the top prospects at the center position in this year's draft, but they guy hasn't played a single game the entire year. And his knees are suspect apparently. He's either going to be one hell of a player, or the next Greg Oden. Unsure if he'll be worth risking a draft pick for.

Derrick Williams
    Derrick Williams | NBADraft.net
    Williams is a decent player, and is likely a lottery pick, but do we really need another undersized PF?

Kemba Walker
    Kemba Walker | NBADraft.net
    Well, he's the reigning NCAA champ PG. But, the report on him isn't that encouraging. Especially this bit worries me:
    Sounds like a micro-Stuckey. But then, you watch this:
    YouTube - Kemba Walker 2011 Highlights

And all of a sudden it becomes a little more intriguing. Also, he's a champion, and no matter what people say, that carries a lot of value.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: Pistons 2011 Draft Prospects

ggazoo has always had the inside track at UCONN. Walker's highlights are more exciting than Stuckey's.
  8. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The comments on Montiejunas were written 2 years ago, as were some of the others. The mock drafts are good on nbadraft.net but they lack up to date information on players.

Here's a more recent article on him.
    DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Donatas Motiejunas, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Great post, Walt.

I haven't seen those guys play much but if Kyrie isn't available I rather see us take our chances on a big man even if he is somewhat flawed. I'm pretty tired of our shoot first-PG:s but I rather see us going with Stuckey + a 4/5 than releasing him and drafting a similar type of player and not getting a new big. I'm not too keen on the idea of another undersized PF but I'd rather take a gamble on that than on a SG playing PG.
  10. Walter

Thanks Mogi, I'd tend to agree with you. Most mock drafts show Kyrie Irving going as the #1 or #2 pick, and I don't think we'll get that lucky.
  11. BillLaimbeer

12. Walter

Thanks for the link webz.

FWIW, here's the full list of draft prospects from the same source:
    DraftExpress: Mock Draft
  13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is good. It is always wise to have what is front of you as immediate and then balance it with how you must think in time.

This draft is so balanced (or another word for non-exceptional) that playability range from 1-60 (80% as bench material) might extend outward to the mid-40 range picks.

As the game has reached not only beyond the rim level; the dexterity of athletes is pushing the limits of court size.

In a sense what I am seeing is a solid grounding in territory size which is mixing an aggressive push to stimulate border movement.

Defensive sets have a distinct pattern in reinforcing this...hence, the pick and roll movements.

You may ask: what are center doing beyond the 3 pt. line? They provide a linear line pushing out. And by doing so, they shrink the border options of offensive options and target only those that have high dexirity...the guards.

The last few years, an equal push advocating this above problem has been to develop (mostly IMHO, an abnormal concentration) bordering on superman guards. It has always been guards (immediacy); but now the perceptive ones might begin to understand...thinking in time: the real combination is 1-3-5.

The guard will always be there, because they have a highly refined and equally mature levels of manual deceit. They are the games on-and-off-lights (with due respect to digital switching) whose visible dance is never the linear court presence.

These high floaters beam multi-directions, but their key is not directional, but in between spaces.

Only one part of the trilogy.

The Pistons should not draft a guard.

opening song: Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand / I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me / Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back / Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me / There's no place I can be / Since I found serenity / But you can't take the sky from me

"Firefly" (2002) - Memorable quotes
  14. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I say draft the legs of the dog. You wish to draft the mouth, but we're not eating unless the legs take us to the food...the current legs are too fragile to rely upon..:)
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

If Joe drafts Donatas Montiejunas when someone the rest of the world knows is a keeper is still on the board it better be right after we all see him climbing out of a working time machine........
  16. S.J.

Don't know what Brandon can or can't do..

But check the last 3 PG fthat played for John Calipari (Memphis and Kentucky), Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall.

For sure that Knight is no way close to Rose.. and He lack's the PG vision to be like Wall.. but I think he is close to a Tyreke Evans without the Reboundings and the 6-6 height.

yes, Knight made a lot of bad decisions in the last game of Kentucky vs UConn, but he is young.. I think he can do a good job and is a good pick to grab with the 7th or 8th pick.

For sure, Irving is better.

So.. I want to know something..

Is it possible to trade Stuckey after the lottery day but before the draft night + our 7th or 8th Pick for the #1 or #2 pick?? I mean, I know that the chances of that happening are about 0 but I want to know if it is possible to do that or if it is against NBA laws or that..

also I think that we can give Prince + 7th or 8th for the #1 if the team that happens to have the #1 is interested in release salary cap with the new CBA coming and all that..

And the Morris' brothers would be something to look up.. Don't know if it is worthy for a 7th pick but beyond 10th pick I will think about them.

With Henson and Barnes going to the 2012 draft, This would be a really weaker draft that the past 2 or 3.

What do you think are the teams that may pick Derrick Williams over Irving?

I think Cleveland, Minnesota, Utah, Sacramento, will pick Irving.. and Washington and Toronto, Williams.

You think it will be better to pick Irving or Williams for Detroit?
  17. BillLaimbeer

Cleveland has a great chance of getting the #1 pick. Do they really need another PG (Irving)?

They already have Baron Davis, Ramon Sessions and Boobie Gibson under contract for next year. Anthony Parker, another Cavs PG, is a free agent.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

And would the Wizards pick another PG after drafting JW? There is a slight chance we might get him if we get the third pick and CLE and WAS picks before us. It's a stretch but it's possible.
  19. S.J.

Anthony Parker a PG ??? hahahah LOL

I think the future of Brandon Davis or Ramon Sessions in Cleveland is none.. hey are looking for a franchise player, they know neither Baron, Ramon nor Gibson are what they need to shut LeBron's mouth.

They Will pick the BEST player available (Like Chicago when they pick Rose man, all the people saying they will pick Beasley)

I''m sure the Wizards will grab Derrick Williams and test him at the SF position and if not, they will trade Blatche (who had some altercations this season with McGee and others) and use a frontcourt of Williams - McGee

Grab the 3rd Pick and landing Irving it's almost impossible.
  20. Walter

Trade season starts before the draft night, so trades on draft night are pretty common, but Stuckey will become a restricted FA. It can only be a sign & trade. Same with Prince.