Lions 2011 Lions ...

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, May 15, 2011.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's impossible to say how we'll do yet since FA hasn't even started.

We're rumoured to be one of 3 teams to land top free agent CB Asomugha. If we can land a couple of solid LBs, I think our chances increase dramatically.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I really think he's headed to Philly. We are just waiting for him to commit a felony so he can feel at home with the other guys. :MusicBigGrin::sssh:

Asomugha=Awesome. He is the top free agent out there.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

if we don't make a huge push for Asomugha like Packers did with that other Raiders corner 4[?] years ago, it will be histemic[?] of the Lions org.
  4. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Detroit Lions - NFL | Free agency will be key for Lions | The Detroit News

Lions will have 14 free agents to sign when the strike is over. Several are worth looking at like McBride and Houston. Others like Stanton need to move on.
    They MAY sign the kicker who replaced the injured Hanson last season...and that would spell the end for Jason.

We also need to be ready to sign some premiere free agents when this mess is settled. The signing period won't last long and we gotta jump in.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Asomugha gets $16M now. I can't see paying him anywhere near that. And that is why the owners are putting their feet down about salaries. Remember when Barry got $25M over 5 years and that was a great signing ?
  6. Nemo

His last contract was 3 years for 45 million. The guy wants to play for a winner, and have a complementary corner next to him. He wouldn't sign with the Lions because we have lousy coverage now, and he would see no action on his side of the field...Last season, he saw only 33 passes his way...for a total of only 13 completions. he gave up no TDs last season.

And the Lions wouldn't pay that kind of coin....
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So he'd be bored here? Actually as Tate has boughten into the concenus now is the Lions have turned the corner, no pun intended. We have the QB, WR, fair OL, wicked DL, S, he might be the piece needed to make the playoffs. 33 passes is 2 a game.
  8. Nemo

Lions completed 383 passes last season, out of like 650 passes thrown. For a corner to only see 13 completions on his side of the fiels is amazing with 33 thrown his way. That's a 39% completion rate....He'd be BORED....:)
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It sounds like he will be bored no matter where he plays.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

11. Mogilny

Where is the biggest flaws in the Lions roster? CB and OT? How would the Lions look if they managed to pickup something like Matt Light and Cromartie? Or that might be hard to afford?
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If the Lions sign this guy, this franchise is a SERIOUS contender.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

humph, for $8M we should fix our secondary.
  14. Mogilny

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I love me some shutdown corner but $11M per ? I could only field 12 players if they all cost that much.
    How much will Houston get ? $7M ?
  16. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

No corner in NFL history is worth 16 million. That's HOF quarterback money. Houston might get 5 million per, but even that's high for a #2 corner who can't give you more than a couple/few picks a year. Who knows? Somebody might overpay for him. I hope it's not us.

Joseph is the only big name FA corner that interests me. I would sign him for 8 mill. The Bengals will probably overpay for him though since they have to spend money for the first time in their history.

There are some interesting young FA LBs and CBs that the Lions could take a shot at. I say spend wisely, fill holes with bargains, and build through the draft. Big time FA signings tend to be for suckers. :stooges:
  17. Mogilny

Yes, it sounds strange to me who's pretty new to the sport to spend that much money on a position the other team can avoid by passing another WR. I realize the safety (right?) can focus on helping the other corner if you have a lockdown guy on the other side but it still seems a bit odd to spend Brady money on that kind of position.
  18. Darth Tater

19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Word is that the Lions are going after Tulloch pretty hard. It would be huge if they could get him. He's a serious two down thumper who can actually play in coverage. As MLBs go, I would put Willis, Timmons, and Mayo ahead of him. After that, you could argue that Tulloch is as good as any of the rest.

That move would instantly turn the LB corp from a weakness into a strength. Tulloch and Levy are two potential pro-bowlers (I'm probably higher on Levy than some people around here). Carpenter has some weaknesses, but he's very good in coverage, and although he's not a big hitter, he is a very good sideline to sideline tackler. He may not be a pass rusher, and he gets caught up in trash when trying to play the middle, but the Lions aren't asking him to do that. Ashlee Palmer was playing lights out at the end of the season. If Palmer can give them 16 games like he played the last three (granted, a big if), then he'll own that third spot. I'm also really high on Hogue, the LB from Syracuse. My folks have a place near Syracuse, and I've seen him play a few times. The kid can fly. He holds up very well in coverage. He's a big hitter, and he makes plays. He's little raw, but his ceiling is off the charts. At worst, he should be a special teams all-star.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but I like the way that they're trying to build the team.
  20. Darth Tater

Looks like they are not alone.

Caplan: Eagles In Pursuit Of LB Stephen Tulloch - Bleeding Green Nation