1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

U of M 2012-2013 Michigan Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Nemo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. max

max All-Star

If State wins their next game against Ohio State then I will personally rescind my entire conversation on the matter.

Also - Thanks Woody for the info.

Darth Tater likes this.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

That isn't Fair, Max.

You know Michigan State is only capable of getting two field goals and a touchdown. 13 points will not win you many games Regardless of how the defense plays.

But regardless, Since the Kool-Aid is Raspberry flavored, I cannot resist Making one of my useless predictions.

Michigan State (defense). 17

Ohio State Cheaters. 16

3. max

max All-Star

I would throw in a Michigan Win but they have a bi-week

Guess its up to State to win.

4. Darth Tater

Don't you hate byes? I know It's good for the players but it drives me nuts.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's when they really get a lot of their hard core studying done...

linwood and Darth Tater like this.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A bi-week?

Now it's really getting frisky in here!

linwood and Darth Tater like this.
  7. Darth Tater

Jeremy, I think there is a very real possibility Michigan could fill some of those Notre Dame spots with BYU who recently went independent.

Your thoughts? On the chances of that happening and on the games?

8. coynejeremy

I would love to see that. It would be a great challenge for BYU and frankly we need to find quality opponents to partner with. The challenge of going independent is to stay relevant without the conference structure there to support you. Scheduling tough BCS teams would go a long way towards that. Beating Michigan would for sure be more exciting than beating Hawaii 47-0, although it's always fun to watch a good old-fashioned butt-kicking every now and then. :)

Right now it's difficult for me to evaluate what we have. We're 3-2, with close losses to Boise State (1 point) and Utah (3 points). Our defense has not allowed a lot of points, our offense is scoring (other than vs Boise State), but we haven't played a very tough schedule yet. I think we would lose this year, but it's hard to say.

9. Darth Tater

I'm thinking Michigan could Gain from that too. I wonder if they would do a home and home series? Or play Two at home and One away? I think that is what Michigan State is doing with Boise State About eight years up the road? Michigan holds most of the cards And BYU may just need to play at their place To get a game. I wonder if either would do that?

BYU doesn't carry the name Notre Dame does But they are well respected. It would be kind of funny. Michigan would go from the Independent Catholic school to the independent Mormon school. I hope that it isn't politically incorrect and I apologize to anyone in advance if it was. It's just that those two schools are often associated with those religions, I think. Anyhow, I believe it would be a really fun series and I'll bet both teams are thinking about that. BYU probably has an open game or two right?

10. coynejeremy

We're playing San Jose State High School this year. I'm pretty sure we could open up a weekend for Michigan. :)

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Time to resurrect this thread as Michigan although struggling with the offense, appears to be getting back to what it is famous for DEFENSE. giving up just 10 pts in their last two games to MSU and Illinois.

The offense scores six TD's this week, but went up a very good defense to rival theirs and had to escape with 4 FG's to ge the victory, which was # 900 in their history.

Finally they get the monkey off their back and introduce the shoelaces and the seniors to Paul Bunyan:afro:

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't see the game. For some reason, my cable system does not carry the Big Ten Network. Does not look like I missed much. Still, UM 3-0 in the Big 10.

13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Zoo it was struggle for both teams....MSU had one successful series down the field, got in the red zone twice and got 10 pts out of it. The Spartans were able to bottle up Robinson most of the afternoon on the ground and he had only one long run of over 30 yards the whole afternoon. That particular one was with about five mins left in the game and at first it appeared that it may lead to the winning TD, but they had to punt it away, hold the Spartans down deep in their territory and then get the ball back with just over a minute before moving the ball close enough to squeeze out a GW 38 yd FG.

I stand corrected from my earlier post....the six TD's were last week compared to only 4 FG's this week.

14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just because a game is low scoring doesn't mean it wasn't a great game. It was a good ole' fashioned Big Ten rivalry smash mouth down to the last possession brawl.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was surprised as how good both defenses looked. MSU did a nice job against Denard. Pretty lucky for MSU to recover that fumble before their go-ahead drive and pretty lucky for Denard to connect on the final pass to put them in FG range (also not the easiest kick in the world).

Glad the domination has subsided for a year!

16. Darth Tater

Congratulations to Michigan. They were the better team.

Not to burst any bubbles here, but I would not read to much into Michigan holding Michigan State to 10 points. Almost everyone holds MSU to only a few points. I wish I could say that we will get you next year, but we won't. Michigan State will not be getting many recruits with the way they play offense.

I honestly did NOT watch the game. I did check the score a couple of times.

It must have felt good beating up the bully today. I'm glad for Michigan. MSU wasn't going anywhere anyhow. I hope this is eating up MSU. They went down like wimps. The quarterback was scared, their coach played scared, even the field goal kicker played scared and choked. The defense is the only bright spot but what a waste. They are all graduating next year. I think under Brady Hoke your team has improved quickly. He is a good coach.

U of M is back to intimidating Sparty.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Interesting recap of a game you didn't watch :frog:

Dantonio "played scared"? Not many coaches have the balls to fake punt from the 23 on a 4th and 9.

State's offense has been anemic most of the season. The first possession of the 2nd half was startling. Great drive...went down the field and got an easy TD. After that, the offense disappeared again.

OC Dan Roushar needs to be fired. He has squandered a lot of talent and cost MSU at least 4 wins since he took over for Don Treadwell last season.

18. Darth Tater

True I didn't watch it, andI talked to two guys who attended the game and went by what they said. But I normally agree with their analyses of games. We often go by what we don't personally witness, do we not. That was an opinion. We can express those right?

Dantonio had them throw any long passes? One? He also had them kick a field goal on 4th and one at the 21? Lots of faith in his offense. Yeah, he gets his reputation as daring based on a ballsey trick play a. Couple times a year but overall m'r conservative. That fake against Notre dame...well he didn't have much choice with little giant. His odds were less of l monster field goal. I agree on firing roushar.

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Weird. I didn't even mention the score in my post. I did see the highlights and still don't think I missed much. Nice ending for UM but pretty pathetic they couldn't score a TD.

Those good ole' fashioned Big Ten teams that the "traditionalists" seem to get misty-eyed over are a far cry from those good, new fashioned SEC teams that win national titles every year. Michigan's 1997 title seems eons ago.

20. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tater

The missed field goal was early 2nd quarter...a long 4th and 1 the possession after UM had kicked a field goal to go up 3-0. Dantonio was looking to put sure points on the board...can't blame him for that. Yes, Conroy botched the FG attempt but I don't hold that against him.

Who were the two guys that went to the game? From what you said they sound like either Wolverines or passive MSU fans like yourself.

Next time, call me for honest updates while hiding under the bed not watching the game :wave:

Nemo likes this.