2012 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 28, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

While I'm not high on Drummond......I like him a whole lot better than Henson, Leonard and Zeller! Joe has to be the luckiest GM in basketball because the bricks to this teams foundation just seem to land in his lap.....for 3 straight years. I REALLY like the 2nd rd picks too!

MSU.Prodigy likes this.
  2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The legendary Joe Dumars shot for a star and he landed three; what a great night for Detroit Piston basketball.

The draft party was great - barring the 70 decibels we hit toward the end of the first round (before the power inexplicably went out for around 20 minutes) and ensuing citation I'm probably going to receive...

On a personal note, I should add this draft was very stressful to watch 1-10. I'm thankful my good friends Jerry and Tom convinced me to allow the karaoke after all, which relieved some of the stress and provided some funny moments. Add in the four topping pizza (I know we may have went overboard with four toppings, but it was strictly for celebratory purposes) and I'd say it was a very successful night.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks to reading about your pizza order in the chat last night I also had pizza for dinner. It was a green pepper, onion and meatball jobber and was delicious. Thank you.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Interesting how Davis got trademark rights to the statement.........Fear The Brow...

6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I like the brow.

7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

this draft gives back some hope. So let's hope he will make the best of all the potential he seems to have. A decent shotblocker next to Monroe, along with some progress by Knight and a good FA signing and this team is actually good.

8. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I'm seriously late to this party (not my choice, mind you), but I'm glad we got Drummond rather than Henson or Leonard as everyone was projecting. He's raw, but he's a nice kid who won't cause any trouble off the court. Boom or bust? I think that depends a lot on how the Pistons' coaching staff decides to handle his development. I'm hoping for the best.

Nemo likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A 270 lb 19 year old with uncommon side to side agility, a long wingspan, and great hops is too tempting to pass up. I will never blame Joe for taking this gamble.

From this point on, it's all about the environment and the support that the organization gives him. They need to balance giving him experience with teaching him with protecting his confidence. I really hope that Frank has the feeling of job security so that he can pull off long term development at the expense of his short term W-L record.

Big picture though- We needed a center, an athlete, a defensive presence, and we got it all in one package. We are not going to a win a Championship in the next 4 years, so it makes a ton of sense to go with the youngest player with the biggest upside.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I totally agree 100%
    ...although, I after reading the first sentence of your post, I though I accidently clicked on an old Darko thread.

coynejeremy likes this.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm going to use 4 topping pizza night for all momentus occasions going forward. I was craving pizza after chat but my girlfriends friend was over so I could fix her laptop :( and they got thai instead. boo!

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Be careful............not all Pizzas are created equal..........

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/huge-pizza-16.jpg

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't really blame Joe for that either. He seems to be admitting recently that he didn't do his homework on Darko and only went on 2 sources. He has been doing extensive character research ever since on his picks to try to avoid a repeat.

On Darko, several other teams took a shot at his potential even after we cut bait, so that makes it even more understandable that Joe would gamble with the #2 pick originally. If that would have been an average draft class, he would get much less grief.

14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

In the north of Sweden they have what they call Calskrove - they mix a Calzone (a pizza folded on the middle so it looks like a halfmoon) and a Skrovmål (it's what they call burger and french frites up in the north). Yes, no need to read again, you understood it correctly - a pizza with a burger and frites inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that's food, everything you want on a pizza - ham, cheese, tomato, burger, bacon, dressing, bread and frites.

brofmfa and coynejeremy like this.
  15. Slippy

16. BallDon'tLie

Freaking brilliant!
    ...Innovative.

17. BallDon'tLie

Feel free to speak up if anyone knows anything about the two 2nd rounders. I've never heard of either guy and my initial reaction is ...um, who? Now I place my FULL confindence in the Piston war-room since I'm just a casual internet fan and these guys make their living evaluationg basketball players.

The guy from Missouri (Kim?) seems good enough. and people seem to be writing nice things about him. I like reading descriptions like "great shooter", "tough defender" and "intelligent" regarding any and all Piston picks. The other guy from Texas A&M though has me stumped. Especially when I read "Small Forward" and "Knee issues".

Again, who am I to 2nd guess a bunch of dudes who are paid to know what's up. I just thought this Kyle O' Quinn guy looked like the real deal: Kyle O'Quinn | DRAFT 2012 Prospects | NBA.com
    I remember watching this guy in the tournament and googling the dude. I was totally impressed with everyting that I read about the guy and thought that he could be a 2nd round bargain AND fill a need.

Here's hoping that one or both of these 2nd round selections become players that make us all forget that Michael Jordan ever existed.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Middleton.......I'm clueless. Kim English......I like! I really liked watching Missouri play last season and he was just one of their GREAT shooters. Missouri played a four guard lineup and of the 4 guards English was the tallest at 6'6" so they played him as their PF. His defensive potential was a question because in college he was always guarding PF's so nobody really knew if he was a good perimeter defender or not. Bottom line, THIS KID CAN SHOOT THE ROCK!

Slippy likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

20. Slippy

I was listening to a Portland site discuss Meyers Leonard and the beat writer being interviewed said that Meyer's team thought they could go as high as #9 but the Pistons told them they would be going in another direction. Henson also said that the Pistons told him that Drummond is their first choice but otherwise they would be selecting him. So while the local press was largely in the dark, the organization was very candid with the prospects. I wondered how Chad Ford got his information while Dumars was being so tight lipped but now I'll never doubt that bastard ever again. I bow down to the might of Ford.