2012 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I find it interesting that Dumars tells players where he's going to draft them. Maybe it's because he went through it and he understands it better? It would seem to me that giving your hand away is a bad idea, but then again, he has the reputation throughout the league based on his respect for the players, so maybe that's a small trade-off in the short term that can have unseen positive impacts in the long-term.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This Drummond pick might turn out great for the Pistons long term because it shines a light on the entire organization early in the Gores' ownership reign. A failure here will be a black mark on their basketball people and not the player especially early on.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What benefit would Joe gain by not talking/telling the players/agents what direction he's leaning?
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Have lots of respect to Joe by his way that he practiced every player related movement under this philosophy.
  5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

My first thought was that you were asking the opposite...

Assuming you're being serious - agents could use that leverage to try and move their client up in the draft. Let's say, for example, that Joe tells Capp Spayce they're going to draft him. His agent tells the Clippers that they're going to draft him, so the Clippers, who really love Capp Spayce, trades up one spot above Detroit to take him. The agent has just earned his client - and himself - another few hundred thousand dollars over the course of the contract, and cost Detroit the pick. The benefit, therefore, would be avoiding this situation.
    Darth Tater likes this.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

The agent then has burnt that info bridge with Joe forever, I'm guessing that Joe is open with agents he's had a working relationship with for years and isn't so quick to talk to new agents or agents that he feels might be quick to use the info against him.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think thats how the bobcats leaped over Detroit to nip Biyombo. Which worked out for us. Imagine if we were targeting Rivers or Marshall instead. The boom bust factor may be too big at #2 but hell, at #9 its the opposite, you'd be a fool not to gamble.
    Darth Tater and KGREG like this.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think this process is as secretive as many of us are imagining it to be.
    pass99, coynejeremy and brofmfa like this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the teams have to maintain some secrecy or else they lose leverage when trying to trade up or trade down.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah but folks are acting like this is some sort of espionage type situation, it's more transparent than many realize.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. I'm sure the GMs tell about a half dozen guys "we really like you" just in case they end up drafting them.
  12. max

max All-Star

I have never seen Drummond play but he is supposed to already be a decent defender and rebounder with good shot blocking skills. Who cares about his offense for his 1st couple of seasons. We never got much offense out of Ben. Drummond kind of seems like a gigantic version of Ben Wallace - then again I have not seen him play yet.

If you want an all offense guy then just keep CV. Defense is more important at his position.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond looks 10x smoother than a Ben Wallace type on offense. Great finisher, has some touch on short shots, and has up to a 15 foot J that isn't embarrassing. Just check out his Washington Wizards workout on youtube and imagine Ben Wallace doing the same.

With Monroe and Drummond, we are going to have 2 great rebounders and we'll be getting a lot of offensive put backs in the paint.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

When you've got a bad team and you make the decision to "play it safe" in the draft, isn't that the same as deciding you want to protect your badness?

In my opinion, the decision to "take a risk" and draft Drummond was the only reasonable decision management could make if their objective was to significantly improve the team.

Dumards is no genius but he is not a total fool either.
  15. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Hahaha I love the cynicism.

But, I disagree with this point. In order to protect 'badness', you effectively need to draft someone who is as bad as the replacement player that you already have. In this case, safe drafting - a player with good skills but a low potential, or pure risk aversion - is almost always going to improve the team.

For example, drafting Anthony Davis number 1 was playing it safe. Bobcats taking MKG was a 'safe pick'. Does it protect the poor attributes of the team? Not at all.

Forget Drummond, how about the second round picks that we got? If the rumors are true, and Singler is going to be coming back, then I feel as though we may be sans Tay next season.
  16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

What is 'risk'? Risk IMO is a factor of two things: opportunity cost (draft position/who you are passing on) and variance (projecting best/worst case). In Drummond vs. Davis, Drummond has a wider variance range (very high ceiling w/ significant bust potential) but as opportunity cost diminishes, so does the risk. Also, variance is subjective. Sure we get consensus but there was consensus on Darko too. In the end though, its all just conjecture by the peanut gallery.

I don't know how they are going to fit in all the new guys. Macklin was a victim of the numbers game. We essentially traded Afflalo for Macklin. Thats a waste. but oh well, we're here now and things are looking up.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

So for future sake of argument debate, we all agree that Andre Drummond was the right pick @ #9?
    If someone like Tyler Zeller or John Henson is averaging 18-10 toward the end of next season, I don't want to hear any "Joe sucks" chants.

This was essentially a free pick as far as Joe's concerned.
    If Drummond kicks the ball into the stands on every offensive possesion, you can't blame Joe for making the pick.
    If Drummond develops into anything more than a solid pro, Joe's a freaking genius.

Joe has to be smiling about this one.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

That goes both ways, you'll probably be hearing my Joe Sucks chants at the end of the season even if Drummond averages 25/13.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Problem is............we all can list (and watch) many reasons why JD sucks............

If we're below .500 this season.............he's gonna suck pretty bad......expecially if CV is on the bench watching.

Basically.................the pick had to be made.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

LOL.

...ok, yes. ...You guys are right. Joe sucks. I agree.
    ...but this can't be construed as a "sucky" pick no matter how it turns out.