1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

The 4 is crowded enough with Monroe, Smith, Mitchell, Villaneuva and Jerebko all looking for playing time there. I think Joe looking for a pure center, who's not useless on defense against other bigs.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Just say no to Odom and his attitude.

round likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too many lefties already.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

My bet is they are looking for a centre with 6 fouls to give. Nothing special. If we get another PF then we have a huge logjam.

Although Smith could potential log minutes at C, although I wouldn't want to give him too many there.

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Catch 22.

On the one hand, I have five fingers. On the other hand, we have a choice between playing Smith out of position at small forward a whole lot or splitting up the Monroe / Drummond duo a whole lot.

With the roster as it stands, mostly, you are going to go with the 2nd option, playing Smith at power forward a whole lot while he rests Drummond, then Monroe.

If you add another power forward, lets say Odom, it makes no difference. Dummond and Monroe still need their rest, and its Smith who we want to get power forward minutes to.

If we get a center, things change a bit. Now you could easily replace your whole front line at the same time, so if Drummond sits, Monroe can sit right along with him for the most part; maximizing the time Drummond and Monroe are on the floor at the same time. But of course, this means Smith could play all his minutes pretty much at small forward. Which maybe we don't want?

Is it really all that bad to have a small forward who can utterly dominate other small forwards in the league in the post? Kinda worked good when Corliss was that guy. And Smith can actually defend the position too.

The main thing, when trying to dominate the post up game, you got to have two solid post up players in at the same time so they can't key on one of them. And voila, we got Monroe to compliment Smith.

Back to the Alternatorz. Good model for what works. Two fine post up players in Zelly and Corliss. The other team just had no idea who we were going to get the ball to down low. And the other three guys out there, all three point threats. Cliff, Jones, Barry. So there is the difference. Jennings is not much worse at threes vs. what Jones was, but Jennings you have to watch like a hawk or he will suddenly drive in on you and score. Certainly not too much of a dropoff there. (and defensively, neither is much really, though Jones had some exceptional defensive instincts other than not being able to stay in front of anyone - his rotating and helpouts were excellent.) Then you got Barry vs. Pope. Barry was certainly a deadly three point shot. Pope, we hope is. Looked awful darn good in the last several summer league games. Both Barry and Pope will opportunistically drive the ball inside if you don't watch them, but Pope will be doing this with a whole lot more inside scoring potency. Again, certainly no dropoff here - ok, except you got to remember the great chemistry between Jones / Barry / Corliss in feeding Corliss the ball down low at exactly the moment Corliss had his guy locked up. Jennings is a true point guard though, and Pope seems to be very heads up player, I am guessing they will do equally well at getting the ball into the post at the right time. Meanwhile, Pope is lightyears better than Barry on D, so I think / hope we are well ahead now.)

Last comparison is Cliff vs. Drummond. Cliff was one heck of a player. Carlisle referred to him, and probably correctly, as the best player on the team. To the point though, Cliff helped spread the floor with his three point shooting. Drummond will not do that. (At least not this season, who knows how talented this kid really is,- he does have good shooting form.) But on the flip side, Drummond can rebound the heck out of the ball while Cliff was a poor rebounder. So while you don't have to follow Drummond out to the three line, you certainly have to have a body assigned to him to box him out if a shot goes up. (Pretty much the same argument we made for Ben for so long. Good argument, but does it beat out taking your man right out to the three point line? A lot of how good this will all work will depend on how well Smith can draw out guys with his outside shooting to let Drummond work inside for dunks - with Monroe being the 2nd post up player to keep attention away from Drummond. Monroe, and Smith, being good passers, I can imagine this play working for Drummond Dunks on a very consistent and constant basis.) (To be complete, the defense is a wash between the two, yes, Cliff was that good, one very excellent post defender - many considered him the best post defender in the league even at age 37 - and he was a lot better when younger of course.)

In sum, who we need, or do not need, to add to the roster, really depends on just how well the starting unit of Jennings, Pope, Smith, Monroe, and Drummond works. If it works like a charm, hey, make sure you have a whole front line worth of players who can come in at the same time, absolutely maximizing the number of minutes our starters can stay together as a unit.

The Panda likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I absolutely agree with you on the last point. How we allocate court time depends entirely on that 'starting' frontcourt.

But I still wouldn't pick up another power forward. Not because it won't impact anything, but because we need depth at the C spot in case of injuries. I don't want to see the team having to fall back on playing Smith at centre because we didn't drop vet minimum on a defensive C and there is a 10-12 minutes hole in the rotation that needs plugging.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe we'll just stick with 14 until an injury occurs. Don't have to go through the process of signing and waiving anyone then. There seem to be some sketchy rumours about Josh Harrellson today.

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you start your five best players. This includes Smith, Monroe, and Drummond. For this to work, one of them (most likely Drummond) has to come out early (after 6 minutes?), and then you rotate the 3 of them over the two frontcourt positions (PF/C).

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Role players are much better if they are in there with studs. All studs subbed out for all role players is not optimal. Too bad that starting is such an important thing for guys and their contracts (and egos).

10. BillLaimbeer

I agree. I think we should keep 2 out of Smith, Monroe, Drummond on the floor together as much as possible.

The biggest question right now is: "What role will Stuckey have this season?"

Most of the rotations proposed here don't even mention Stuckey.

11. webz

He has been a starter, come off the bench, played the 1, 2 and 3... We're all out of ideas.

12. BillLaimbeer

How about sitting behind the bench in street clothes?

round and BallDon'tLie like this.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey just needs a chance to show what he can do. Just one real opportunity and he'll seize the moment.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Teams often don't give rookies a fair chance.

Walter likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's like there is always someone in the way between him and goals.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

My guess is Stuckey and Pope battle it out at Positionless off guard, and the best rookie earns the start.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Free Agent Rumor: Did Pistons sign Josh Harrellson? - Detroit Bad Boys

The rumor started when a relative of his (?) posted a congratulatory tweet before removing it shortly after. Seems like a legitimate reason for speculation to me.

He was player of the year in the Chinese league last year. Perfect TRG replacement with some potential and age on his side.

Not a bad stroke for a C either. Why not?

linwood likes this.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I was getting pretty stokes for Ivan the Terrible, but I guess if were being realistic, Harrelson wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Nemo likes this.
  19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think I am not alone in saying that I'd be happy if he somehow manages to shoot FT's at a decent rate at first.

20. webz

Another league MVP from overseas, that's good. I'm on board with Billy Hoyle.

In other news our other MVP sprained his ankle playing for Italy. Mamma mia!!
    Italy lost Datome & third game in row | Eurohoops

linwood likes this.