2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would guess Gores completely pulled the plug on Dumars, figuring he had done enough damage already. Gores probably has no clue whether the Pistons should be buyers or sellers at this point. The organization needs a real plan before making any more random moves to appease the fans.
    linwood likes this.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The only way Phil takes the job is if he already had a wink-wink deal in place with his so called pal Gores (after he agreed to sabotage Joe's standing with the Cheeks selection.)

The contingency plan however would be that the Pistons some how got into the playoffs with this frazzled lineup and didn't get swept in the first round. He would also need to have had backroom conversations with the agent of one of the top 10 potential free agents with another wink deal that they would sign with the Pistons. Since this is somewhat preposterous you are right, Phil will never come here to be the savior unless we already have a player savior.

With that being said and looking at the available free agents, not sure if he could convince any of them to come here or if we would want any of the older guys HoopsHype - NBA Free Agency 2014
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jackson recommended Shaw.

These guys are probably going to move the team to LA and be the 3rd team to share the arena there.
  4. LA Dre

Already too crowded there as that would overload the computerized scheduler fighting for time and space with the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Sparks and the Grammy Awards. The Sparks wouldn't start playing until May, but if the LA Pistons were in the playoffs, then games would be several days apart trying to accommodate all of these playoff bound teams :bs:
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would be really nice for LA Dre!
    brofmfa likes this.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The impression one gets of the Pistons is that they don't have a top notch front office.

It probably goes much deeper than Joe, and hiring Phil Jackson in any permanent capacity is unlikely to suddenly make the front office top grade. Sure, Phil may attract good people to the org. but that's not going to be an overnight process.
    dba likes this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Forget the advanced staff stuff, can Joe turn on a computer?
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Simmons made a pretty convincing point when he compared ex-athlet's competing against sharks (i.e. lawyers with business degrees and 20+ years of business negotiating experience and analytical competence) in the front office positions.

Nerds and guys with no athletic experience may miss out on certain things in talent evaluation, but in terms of managing salary cap, managing the portfolio of players, optimizing for future spending, taking advantage of changing rules like the amnesty provision, and negotiating with the players and other GM's, I also would rather have a shark on my side.

Obviously, the same criticism/ worry would be true for Phil Jackson. He may be a good coach, although it's hard to tell since he's never had a team without MJ or Kobe... and Shaq for most of it, but he may also be a lousy GM.

The guys that fit the smart, lawyer, professional negotiator category are not household names and we'll probably never know who they are until they are hired.
    webz likes this.
  9. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It would go a long way toward explaining why Dumars/Hammond were so great together - Dumars the jock and Hammond the nerd. Broken up, though, their teams are among the worst in the league.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  10. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some people have talent (Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc.)
    Some people have taste (Auerbach, Daley, Popovich, etc.)

Very, very, few have both! (Wooden, ???)

Most great players have never been really good coaches. Sparky, Jordan, Isaiah, Stengel, Lombardi, Belichick, etc. Each was good in one area but not in the other. Great players can't seem to relate to players who don't have the natural abilily they had.
    Coaches can see what's necessary to improve a player. Front office people who can evaluate players (that's taste) are quite as scarce as great talent. They're very hard to find and if you find one, keep him!! (Ken Holland comes to mind.) Dombrowski has a good track record, also.

But, who's available as the Pistons new GM. ????????????????????
  11. roscoe36

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If Gores hires Phil Jackson as the next GM, I'm going to take some hiatus from supporting my beloved Pistons. I cannot stand the thought of Jackson calling the shots here.
  13. LA Dre

You say that now, but you will slowly comeback around when they reach the eastern conference finals......in 2017..
  14. roscoe36

No.
  15. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Well...we still feature such crowd favorites as the Bacon, Eagles, Movie Talk, and the Mostly Joking Threads...:)
  16. LA Dre

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

[
    Don't only look at the object, but it's relationships.
    There are flies because the hatch is on. You don't swat, you match the hatch.
    Your Stream is knowing the flow and those little corners that only the edges of streams and shade provide.
    This is where I am coming from (and a very astute observation from Bucher):

NBA Trade Deadline: Can Old-School and New-School GMs Find Common Ground? | Bleacher Report
  18. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Interesting observations. I think the Pistons will let their roster stand pat until they hire a new GM to replace JD.
    You're figuring that maybe Gores will get himself a NEW School guy, and I agree...
    linwood likes this.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Am I wrong...or would this make a much better Pistons slogan than "be Impactful"??
    linwood likes this.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I want the next Pistons GM to have graduated college because they earned enough credits to do so and not because they were given a degree years after they left school because they were an NBA All Star with a big name.

I also want no part of any old-school guy like Lionel Hollins as the coach even though I like him. I can't watch the Pistons bang two rocks together anymore to make their decisions.