2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Living out here in the Bay I have seen first hand the destruction of Mark Jackson. First, in my interpretation this is coming from the ownership - Jackson has had a tenuous relationship with them and other staff members, mostly due to his sensitivity and paranoia. It kind of reminds me of Rick Carlisle;s firing. That said the players 100% buy into him - at least it looks like that from the outside. That has to mean something. I wouldn't mind. Sometimes it is good to get the up and coming coach after their first stint. They learn a lot and then don;t repeat the same mistakes.
  2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think the rise of the Warriors during Jackson's tenure has more to do with the influx of talent, than his ability to coach. Every year he had a better team than the previous year. Some good drafts & trades were made.

I'm not saying he's a bad coach. He's just mediocre really. He just happens to be coaching a well-balanced team full of talent.
    The Panda likes this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Any coach can get the players to buy in,but it takes the special ones to win over the secretaries, cafeteria workers and security guards.
    roscoe36, linwood and Walter like this.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The preacher methodology will only take you so far. Complicated sets and defensive analytics used against you, must be matched by the right adaptation and sometimes, creativity. He was far too defensive (personality-wise) and separated (perhaps knowingly) the players from administration, who must get the right feedback to fill the holes. And most importantly, the latter must feel comfortable that you can be objective enough to help them fill those ever-present holes. He insisted on a long term extension last year and did not get it. Recent problems sealed his fate.
    kpaav and roscoe36 like this.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well...they do know where all the bodies are buried.
    roscoe36, Walter and linwood like this.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's remember Jackson jumped from the broadcast booth to the head coaching job.....the talent was there....some may have done better with it, then some of the guys that Joe chose may have done worst. If for some reason the Clippers win the whole thing, and they dispatch the other teams in 5 or 6 games, can he put on his resume we took the champs down to the wire in 7 and were 2-3 hoops of knocking them off.
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Jackson sucks. Watch his offense die from his poor rotations. Watch him tell his guys to run the iso's. He is Scott Brooks with a less talented team. Great player coach though.

The Harry Redknapp of the NBA
  8. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't know who it is, but:

We need someone to bench Monroe or Smith and get them both (with Drummond) to agree to reduced minutes and maybe not playing out a game depending on the situation.
    We need someone to engage Jennings, make him work on his jump shot and watch more film (that he amazingly didn't do before Mo).
    We need someone with a strong enough system to encorporate junior players and allow them to play through troubles, not just bench them like Mo because they were young.

And we need a GM to get some other pieces to make this mess work and hire said coach.

In short, we probably need Poppovich haha
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We need more than just some tweaks and a few minor pieces. We just finished 29-53.
    LA Dre, max, linwood and 1 other person like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Would Jim Leyland be able to get more than 29 wins out of these guys?
    roscoe36 and coynejeremy like this.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. max

max All-Star

I would try to sign Monroe wo overpaying and trade both Smith and Jennings. Or if lose Monroe then may be stuck with Smith. Jennings has to go though. Cant win with him his defense is that bad and he shoots under 40%.
  14. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't think we will get any trade partners for Jennings though. Like us, most thought he could possibly get better in a different environment, but he hasn't shown that yet.

What we need is a good PG to start in front of him and use him as an upgrade to Bynum off the bench.

Bill, I agree, I'm not talking bits and pieces but a proper starting calibre 2 and 3. A bench overhaul and a coach who can get some chemistry, primarily on the defensive end. This all happening with a new GM is a looooong shot.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Stop wanting to trade Smith. It isn't happening. He isn't going anywhere unless we give up pieces that we want to keep. He also happens to be our most talented defensive player.

What we need is a coach who can put together a defensive system that doesn't make the team look unable to compete, and do some basic rejigging on offense, so our professional NBA players can run a pick and roll.
    brofmfa, del and linwood like this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

If Smith comes back he has to come off the bench. If.

I thought Jennings looked better when Smith was out at the end of the year. His flaws didn't seem so magnified when he wasn't sharing the court with another crazy guy.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

SF Smith = awful player
    PF Smith = awesome player

We have a PF in Smith, a C in Drummond, and a PF/C in Moose. You play each 32 minutes, and you are covered at the power spots for the entire game. It ain't rocket science. Start Smith/Drummond, then play some Smith/Moose, and then some Moose/Drummond. Rinse and repeat.

Our front court is not the problem. The best SF on the team is Kyle Singler. That is our problem.
    brofmfa, The Panda and basketbills like this.
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

So who would you draft to fill that? Or is there a free agent to target?
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still waiting for Smith to show us his supposedly good defense.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

I can't take another year of people suggesting we can and should play our guys for 32 minutes a night.

Who is going to finish the games? That is what the problem is.