2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if the money would work out, but I dreamed that we offered Flip a package of Jennings, Smooth, and Gigi for Love and he took the deal. Then Love walked anyway at the end of the season.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

dreaming of flip saunders now that is hardcore!!!

kpaav, Walter, linwood and 3 others like this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Yea, that would be like dreaming of JV instead of Kate Upton.

kpaav, LA Dre and roscoe36 like this.
  4. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It helps when you have the best perimeter defender in the league on your team...

...Miami seemed to do okay in the last couple of years...while I agree D-Wade is a great perimeter defender...but who else did they have?

Last year, Miami still got to the finals with D-Wade who was not a brilliant defender and Bosh who isn't necessarily a rim protector.

Waiters and Varejao are a tier below these players, but they also have Kyrie and Tristan Thompson who both have the capacity to become above average defenders.

Love is young. He wants a long-term deal.

What team has a greater capacity to win multiple championships in the next five years?

I agree Wiggins has the potential to be a great perimeter defender, but will he contribute as suddenly as D-Wade contributed to Miami when Lebron joined?

Statistically based on offensive and defensive efficiency in the last five years, offensive efficiency correlates much stronger to success in the post season than defensive efficiency.

A successful post season team has a high defensive efficiency, but a highly efficiently defensive team isn't always a post season team. Offense must be considered.

I do agree that it seems strange to wait to trade Love. The closer they get to the trade deadline, the more desperate they will be, as the closer they will be to having Love walk for nothing.

BillLaimbeer and roscoe36 like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Miami was a top 5 defensive team for all four of those years, and from memory, trailed only the Pacers the year of their second championship. They were brutal on defense, forcing turnover after turnover and bottling up point guards above the line. PnRs routinely shut down on the wings, fronting the post and aggressively helping from the weakside. They could grind opposing teams to a halt when they were engaged. They didn't look great last year, but make no mistake, Miami was dominant on defense when they needed to be.

D-Wade in the first two years was a lockdown perimeter defender, probably one of, if not the, best at his position for at least the first two years. Bosh wasn't a rim protector, but he was the best pick and roll coverage big man in the league. He played fantastic help and could cover guards if needed. Miami ran a system of high traps and Bosh was the perfect big man for it.

There is only one team outside of the top 10 in defensive efficiency which has won a championship - LA Lakers in the early 00's. We can wax lyrical about the stats, but the end game is that teams which can't play defense get shredded in the post season, and offenses become remarkably less efficient overall. The Cavs were as bad as the Pistons on defense last year - they ain't winning a championship with that, Lebron or not. Any team with Irving/Lebron/Love isn't going to have a problem on offense, and they will make the postseason so I'm not really seeing your point here.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying the Love trade is a bad one, just that it doesn't make sense to give away Wiggins to get it done. Even with Love, the Cavs are still a centre away from championship contention. Varejao is extremely injury prone and Brendan Haywood isn't going to pull enough weight to cover for him. The East is extremely weak when it comes to actually being a contender. I don't think the Cavs take on LAC/SAS/OKC and win. Even DAL/MEM/GSW would give them a very serious run.

I get the feeling that a lot of this is smoke on the water. The Cavs want Love, but they are waiting to get him for a bargain price, or they will just wait it out until next year.

TaS and BillLaimbeer like this.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If Cleveland can't land Kevin Love, what do you think are the chances of us trading with them sending either Moose in a S&T or Josh Smith?

7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm sure Lebron does not want to give his prized rookie Wiggins and or Irving away and SVG sees no reason to take back "some random vets". Of course beforementioned scenario opens up some wiggling room for Falk and his client....

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

If Love is not traded to the Cavs he will just go there next year when he is a free agent. That's why the Cavs are hesitating. Why give up assets when they guy wants to come here any way. If Love refuses to go any place else and sign an extention the T-wolves have to trade him to the Cavs or get nothing. So the choice is get nothing or take what the Cavs are offering.

That's why free agency in the NBA sucks. They need franchise tags. It is the only way small market teams can stay competitive. The NFL's model works. The NBA's doesn't.

LA Dre and Nemo like this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Will Love go to Cleveland if LeBron goes somewhere else next summer?

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you talking about small market teams like Cleveland?

kpaav likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow. If the Cavs could somehow land Josh Smith, they wouldn't have to worry about having a lebron stopper in their division.

Walter, Pwn Toney and roscoe36 like this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

This trade of Love for Wiggins/Bennett was probably consummated well before LeBron's decision II. If you look at LeBron's announcement letter, you will notice he doesn't even mention these two young, promising guys, but he talks about the excitement of playing with Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters? Yea, right.

"I think I can help Kyrie Irving become one of the best point guards in our league. I think I can help elevate Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters. And I can’t wait to reunite with Anderson Varejao, one of my favorite teammates."

Since Wiggins just signed, the teams will have to wait the 30 days to make the move official.

13. Winless Wonders

NBA = WWE Entertainment

Where the plots are staged, but they seem so real.

I just wonder how long this can continue. You can't have a league with 24 teams that have no chance of winning the championship every year and grow the business. There are less superstars in the NBA now than the 80's and 90's.

14. Winless Wonders

Cleveland is a small market team that had the fortune of having LeBron being born there. If he was not born and raised there he would not be interested and no one would care. Gilbert would not have even bought the team.

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think the Pistons should acquire this young man:

roscoe36 likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

You don't see too many 6'5" 7th graders. He has some athleticism and a nice shot, too. It would be nice if he could fill out and get a little stronger to avoid injuries.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Guys like Tristan Thompson or Anthony Bennett would, in my opinion, be worth trading Smith for.

They are young and have potential. Much smaller price tag and both don't have as large of an ego and would be willing to buy into a new system, take a bench role, etc.

Although the Love deal seems pretty much done, it's fun to think about!

18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

People still think Bennett has potential?

19. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I'm no expert, but I know I filled out a bunch since seventh grade.

LA Dre likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I get the feeling that letter was written before the draft. I must be the only guy that actually believes LBJ when he says that these were hard decisions for him to make.

This goes back to Pwn Toney's point about marketing your own team. Every team should have a poster child, but it seems like not every team does have one.