2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kid has played just one year. Of course he has potential.

He lost thirty pounds since last year. He looked ...better... at the end of last year compared to the beginning.

It may be safe to say he will never live up to the expectation that the number one overall pick holds.

However, other than maybe Nerlens Noel, Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Trey Burke, and KCP, could he not be better than the rest of his draft class?

He could be in the top five of his class still, at least, it's worth waiting and watching.

With Ricky Rubio, Nikola Pekovic, and the recently drafted Zach Lavine being the cornerstones of a potentially ugly Timberwolves rebuild pending a Love trade, Bennett could get solid PT at SF this year for the T-wolves. It's worth checking a box score every now and again.

The Panda likes this.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

When Bol Bol makes it to the NBA, perhaps his teammates can re-create this prank:

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I like Winless Wonder's point about the number of teams with a chance at the title, but I think that's the case with every sport. A whole lot of teams that have no shot. It shifts over time, but I don't think parity is possible in professional sports. Avoiding dynasties is one thing, but actually having many teams that have a shot I think is tough to pull off.

I agree with your point about poster children. That ties in with WW's comment about less superstars (less or fewer?) ...I'm sort of leaning toward the idea that it could simply be perception on the part of the fans as well as the complete apathy of the league's marketing dept. I'd say you have at least one legitimately great (maybe not all-star level) player on about 75% of the teams. You take away the concentration of some of the league's best players gaming the system to all player together on one stacked team and I think that number goes up. Case in point: the only time you hear LaMarcus Aldridge's name is when he goes nuts on Dwight in the playoffs, but the guy has been playing great ball up here for years....NBA could care less. People here LOVE him. People elsewhere have no idea he's consuming oxygen.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

LaMarcus Aldridge...he's that guard from the small school right?

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course, you could also say that the NBA owners are gaming the system to AVOID letting players go where they want to/can be paid fairly. :stirthepot:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

"fair" is a very loaded term. I would tend to agree if players were on teams because owners were keeping a family member hostage, however, players choose to play in the nba and get paid according to the cba as good or bad as that may work out for them.

We're funny socially, if we do well, that's fair, if we don't get everything we want. then the system is unfair.

7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

They should have given him the middlename Bol-Bol while they where at it.

Hi, I my name is Bol Bol-Bol Bol and I play college ball.

ggazoo69 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  8. coynejeremy

I think it's likely that the owners get more value from the players (or from the top 25% of the league at least) than the players do from the owners.

9. roscoe36

if they both got the exact same value, they would never work together.

if the players could make more money driving cabs they would do that for the same reason they change teams when they get a better contract offer.

I don't think fairness = equality. None of us are equal. Some guys are taller, stronger, faster, better looking. The "profit" is in the differences.

del likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was actually thinking his middle name should be Bol and you freakin' doubled my idea. Nice work!!

Mogilny likes this.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the shout out 'scoe!

kpaav, brofmfa, BallDon'tLie and 4 others like this.
  12. coynejeremy

I see both sides of it. The owners take on the risk in funding and running the league. But they also have as good a deal as they do because of the leverage they have over the players due to their being independently wealthy. The way the money is split therefore favors the owners. I feel it tilts towards the owners taking advantage of the players.

Mainly though, I'm just trying to counter the notion that seems to be prevalent among fans that players are doing something wrong when they decide to change teams to play with each other.

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  13. roscoe36

I am ok with people doing whatever is in their own best interest. Whether player or owner.

kpaav and coynejeremy like this.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's the thing in their mind for more than four hundred years.

15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm almost certain Battier has at least one good season left in the tank. One of the most underrated guys ever. I remember having come to my mind and paying more attention to role players like him a few years ago after reading this piece in the New York Times (I think someone posted it on pf.com)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He could teach work ethic and preparation. At least try to get him on staff.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am sure I am mirroring the thoughts of Pwn Toney and Lee here, but I would probably give him more minutes than Singler.....despite the age difference. I am hoping Singler proves me wrong this year with some solid improved play.

Pwn Toney likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Singler has been a role player... if you count starting shooting guard as a role.

coynejeremy likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee is not going to love this, but I have a feeling that SVG will really like Singler. If the Pistons continue to add pieces to become a legitimate contender, Singler could easily be a 15-20 mpg backup SF on a playoff team. Singler was thrust into a starting lineup before he was ready, but that was because Dumars never put together a coherent roster of parts that meshed.

roscoe36 likes this.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Could not find the "do not love" button. My main point on Singler is that he can not defend anyone. I do not believe he should be playing anymore than I think CV should be playing, who also can't defend. And CV had some truly nice scoring games for us in the past, including tons of threes, but still did not contribute positively in the game since his D is that bad. Singler does not approach what CV has given us on offense at times, and his D is every bit as bad.