2013/2014 NBA Trades, Signings, FA, and other Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Plank Bucketurd
    Nemo and BillLaimbeer like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You may be correct. Perhaps they haven't officially signed on the dotted line. They don't appear to have a new team yet on the NBA web site either.

Free Agent Tracker | NBA.com
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd like to officially go on record and say that I'm totally cool with NOT signing those two guys.
    For essentially the same money, we could sign two of these currently available players:

SF: Francico Garcia, Jordon Hamilton, Chris Douglas Roberts
    C: Mike Scott, Josh Harrelson, Greg Stiemsma, Ekpe Udoh
    kpaav likes this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

When you for no good reason remove 61% of the data, to get your stat, I would say that is a pretty good thing to base an objection on. The Pistons were team turmoil on their rotations last season, why in the world choose to just throw away all that data? Simple, because if you do not throw it away, the bulk of the data mind you, you do not get the same result at all.

Units that are featured less than ten minutes in a season comprise the bulk of the Pistons season last year. And while a unit that plays say, 15 minutes together in a season is sure not much better than one that played 8 for instance, they kept the units that played 15 minutes, but not the 8. Why not use 50 minutes as your criteria, a whole games worth of action. Simple, no data at all then to work with. Units that play together a lot do have the advantage or getting to know each other, sure. But they also can get scouted, and adjusted to. Simply no reason to leave out all that data.

The 3 players in question, Monroe, Smith, and Drummond, when played together, were just as good as when not playing all together, for the season. The whole season. They played poorly, for the constantly mentioned reason that our guards were all very suspect on their outside shot. And this applied to every minute of the season, regardless of who was out there on the floor, since good outside shooters were something very missing for Detroit last season. Could have something to do by the way with giving Middleton away for nothing, as a throw in on the Knight - Jennings trade. Middleton was top 10 in the NBA on his 3 point shooting. And would have been much better than that if they had started him all season. (Middleton consistently struggled with his shot if coming off the bench, while heating up to truly excellent levels when allowed to start and play heavy minutes for a stretch of games. And PS, having watched all of the Milwaukee games last year, (as well as those of Washington, Cleveland Toronto, Orlando, and half of Houston's), I can tell you Middleton was the best player of all the players on the rosters for Detroit and Milwaukee. Middleton is the full package, tall, lengthy, quick, deadly outside shot, good ball handler, and can defend 2's and 3's very well as well as guarding most 4's well enough.)
  5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let us simplify things shall we? These stats should settle any debate on whether playing Smith-Monroe-Drummond together is a good idea. And they are 100% inclusive of ALL data.

shotchart_Josh_Smith.jpg shotchart_Greg_Monroe.jpg
    Walter and kpaav like this.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Always remember the source.... and the slant it will always have and never ever try to debate with it..... my words of wisdom for enjoyment on the forum
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sources: Cleveland has agreement to acquire Kevin Love, including contract commitment - Yahoo Sports

Now that the handshake is official....and the Cavs are close to adding Ray Allen and Shawn Marion to the squad, who agrees with me that Love/James/Irving is better than Wade/James/Bosh?

They are younger and hungrier......the defense may not be as good, but if either of the 3 avoids any major injuries, do you think they win more titles
    than the Heat if they sign another key FA next year and the rookie coach is actually decent?

I will be waiting for the new season opening rally where they announce if they are going to win not one, not 2 but 3 or four rings
    basketbills and The Panda like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

You have made up your mind. But don't pretend it's because of stats, data or facts.

I have tried to explain the statistics situation to you, but you have ignored me and Junior and really set the tone for this debate.
    basketbills and junior like this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You say I made up my mind. However, I would like to ask you this simple question: Did the Pistons score more per 48 with or without all of Drummond, Monroe, and Smith playing at the same time?

Without leaving out any data for the season.

2nd question, If you do not want them to play at the same time, who between the three would you have come off the bench? Though kind of weak, the stats show that we are better with the combo of Smith and Monroe out there. Would you do that - have Drummond come off the bench.

And if you did have a small forward start from the current roster (Singler, Martin, JJ, Datome, Butler), which would you choose, and I would like to know in what order you would list them as best to worst choice. (Me, I'd choose JJ, as I think he should have been our backup small forward all last season.)

Finally, note, Junior stated in one of our posts that small forward is our weak spot. I agree with that, and really think we should be shopping yet for one.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Again, I ask, have you actually read any of the responses?

And regardless, I don't care if they score more. I care if they score more than the other team.

I'm not bothering anymore.

[​IMG]

Smith and Monroe makes sense - Moose needs to be paired with a shot blocker. But the reality is that I don't care who comes off the bench as long as those three are sharing the available minutes at PF/C.

I agree. SF is the weakest position on the team by far.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

More like Friend of Full Wok
    linwood, Mogilny and Nemo like this.
  12. BallDon'tLie

Dan Le Batard (ESPN radio guy & Miami Hearld columnist) paid for this billboard in downtown Akron.
    ESPN suspended him for two days (probably because LeBron told them to).
    ...whatever.

[​IMG]
    Mogilny likes this.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Wouldn't that billboard make more sense if it was in Miami and said "You're welcome, Miami. Love, LeBron"?
    #1PickToDETROIT, del and kpaav like this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The sign was meant as a jab to LeBron since in his big, long letter announcing his decision II he failed to even say thank you to Miami.
    kpaav, Mogilny and junior like this.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still think Mogilny's version makes more sense.
    Nemo and Mogilny like this.
  16. Mogilny

I wasn't aware of him not saying thank you to Miami in the letter. It would have made more sense if they dropped the rings.
  17. BallDon'tLie

I hope this escalates into some sort of vicious back and forth between LBJ/Cleveland and Miami.
    ...sorta like when two people that you don’t like get in a fight and beat each other senseless.
    Either way, It's all-good by me!
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    roscoe36 and Mogilny like this.
  18. Mogilny

I would follow a billboard fight.
    #1PickToDETROIT, linwood and Nemo like this.
  19. max

max All-Star

I think they are going to regret trading Wiggens.
    linwood likes this.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Funny that ESPN sells all this stuff on Lebron giving him at least five hours a coverage on a daily basis and then suspends
    an employee when he tries insert his personal opinion in the situation....(I think Stephen A Smith agrees with me).
    But you are right, Lebron either asked them to do it, or they were mad because CBS got a little more exposure because
    their logo/network was seen at the bottom of the billboard (guess they owned it)
    BallDon'tLie likes this.