2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Thank goodness he wasn't our coach last year.

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I took my daughter to the game tonight. Her streak of always going to games that the Pistons win was not in jeopardy. (She did attend one loss in a playoff series, but we won that series.) The game was a laugher real early. It got to 80-40 at one point.

First point, Smith and Drummond were often seen getting passes from the guards and dunking the ball. Even though Bynum did not play. Hmm, maybe its a Drummond / Smith thing, & has nothing to do with Bynum. Just one game, but I do like that the coach showed us that we can do alley oops without Bynum. I hope he continues this theme.

I also liked that Stuckey played minimally at shooting guard (about 5 minutes), and got a good long stretch as our point guard. As a point, he did not do horridly. He drove in, and found ways to score or to get an assist to someone. Still not drawing fouls though.

I like that as a team, they kept unselfishly getting the ball to Pope to try to let him shoot out of his shooting slump. It did not work, with Pope going 1-12 in the game with his only bucket being a fast break layup off a steal. But Pope pulled down 7 bounds, played very active D, and handled the ball quite a bit without too many errors. If this had been a game we had to win (or not one where nothing really mattered since we were up 40), obviously Pope would not have taken so many shots. Sure do wish one went in, but there is always next game. If he were just to come off the bench, provide that level of defense and rebounding, it would be good enough for now.

But then you have the Singler question. Because Singler had a good game. And he showed he can knock down shots. To win games, we might just have to go back to Singler starting at shooting guard. Where he is too slow on defense but where his size there helps give us a height advantage - or really, just makes our height advantage we already have just that more pronounced.

Smith looked fine scoring inside, and making any open outside shot given. On the other hand, if he was crowded at all and even semi - forced a shot, he missed. But no, he did not look like a player who would shoot us out of games. He did not take that many shots, and neither did Jennings who had a very efficient scoring game.

Billups started at shooting guard, but did not cement the job at all. Indeed, neither he nor anyone playing shooting guard for us tonight make an outside shot. (Singler was playing small forward.)

Mitchell impressed. Seven rebounds if I recall from checking the boxscore a bit ago. Always around the board. Defense looked very solid, but no, nobody could possibly fix putting Harrelson (too slow), and CV (too inactive) as our bigs. We did that to end the game, pretty much the whole 4th.

Just to set the rotations: We started Jennings, Billups, Smith, Monroe, Drummond.

Our bench was Stuckey, Pope, Singler, CV, (Monroe or Drummond.)

Harrellson only got in for GT. Mitchell did get a short stretch in the first half, but mostly we got to see him in GT in the unit of Stuckey, Pope, Mitchell, CV, Harrellson

I am pretty sure Singler did not play GT because he had already shined in the game so coach chose to look at other things.

Villanueva has a habit of playing well near the basket when the other team has no defense. Macabi Haifa is such a team, and CV had a good game against them on offense and cleared 7 boards. No, not for a second do I believe CV belongs on the team because he got some inside buckets vs. this sub - NBA team. And note, even against this team, he could play no defense. I just don't believe he even belongs on the team.

Again, it looked like a team out there as far as sharing the ball. Team wanted to let Mitchell get a crack at scoring around the basket, team made a concerted effort to get him the ball at the basket. If the team wanted to give Harrellson some outside shot ops, team got the ball to him to take those shots. I like that alot.

Billups swished a couple of free throws. Nothing to cement him in at starting shooting guard. To me, this is an ok move for now, since it leaves open the door for Pope to start later if Billups does not produce as a shooting guard.

Datome (hamstring) and Siva (sore calf) did not play for injuries. Monroe did play despite a reported troublesome hamstring. JJ did not play. No reason probably as he looked fine in that scrimmage. Again, Bynum did not play, as coach is apparently evaluating other options at point. (Obviously, he has not explored the option so many fans would like to see, letting the rookie start at shooting guard rookie or not, and having Billups coming off the bench to be the backup point.)

Harrellson got some outside shots, but did not connect on any. He really showed nothing of value in this one. No defensive speed.

Let me see, our seats were first row upper, section 218. Great seats at a reasonable price of $21 each. Not between the endlines, but not that far off of that. First time I have been to a game in five years. I had been sitting in section 221 mostly, about 20 games a year, for several years. A few sections over makes a lot of difference. I do not know if this price holds for the regular season. I do know these seats use to go for quite a bit more. Anyway, I was very pleased with the seats I got, especially for the price. Prices for food / drinks seemed crazy high, but we stopped and ate just before we got there so were not hungry anyway.

The crowd was kind of sparse, but considering the competition, good to see any size crowd at the Palace.

As for the entertainment value of the game, it was lots of fun watching the Pistons play above the rim so much. I really think people will enjoy both rookies, Mitchell and Pope, just for that aspect of the game. And with Drummond continuing to soar high and Smith flying along side, its a lot of great basketball to look forward to this season.

The Jennings / Smith / Drummond / Monroe thing is looking really good as far as getting the ball into our bigs for easy buckets, and for letting Jennings go for steals all he could possibly care to knowing the three bigs are there to cover for mistakes. Adding a shooting guard to all this who can actually knock down a shot would be scary awesome.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    OLD SKOOL HQ, Mogilny, Nemo and 5 others like this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the first hand leecap!!

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Thanx to Stuckey, we have a new position in NBA: no point guard or pointless guard :cheerlie-GOAL:

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

7. tnt1960

tnt1960 Bench Warmer

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice article. It's easy as fans to want everything from a player, and forget all the things they do great. The same was with Sheed, we'd all get annoyed he wouldn't shoot more and get on the block, but in every other aspect of the game, he persistently brought an All Star level of play 90% of the league couldn't match.

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

"Pointless guard" I love it!

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

and whats wrong with being 38!!! i remember lovinggg it!

mikhail1973 likes this.
  11. mikhail1973

12. mikhail1973

13. mikhail1973

14. mikhail1973

Chauncey Billups gets seat in Pistons shooting guard musical chairs, leaves Kentavious Caldwell-Pope standing | ProBasketballTalk

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  15. mikhail1973

16. mikhail1973

17. mikhail1973

18. mikhail1973