2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Since we beat Brooklyn, Will Bynum single-handedly lead us to victory based on Lee's rationale about the PG organizing everyone.

Well done Will! You are truly a basketball Maestro.
  2. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Why is everyone talking about Will Bynum. Seriously, he is our 3rd or 4th rotation PG. He averages 18mpg.

Its not like he is out there for 48 minutes a game punching refs in the stomach and doing windmill jams in his own basket. He has a role, he fills it. He is inconsistent. Sometimes he is selfish, other times a brilliant passer.

Just remember, we never have to see the tandem of Austin Daye and Ben Gordon dribbling it off their feet ever again. Now smile.
    linwood, roscoe36, Walter and 3 others like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Bynum averaging 1 turnover more than the rest of the team is good because he tries to make plays. You are going to have turnovers when you play fast, push the ball and throw lobs. That isn't bad especially when you compare him to the 6" glass egg passers he's being compared to.

I was always surprised that the '08 Big 3 era Celtics turned the ball over a lot because it didn't seem to mesh with what a good half court team they could be. They pushed the ball though and didn't play conservatively. I can live with that.

This pre-season Bynum has had games where he scored 26 points and one where he had 11 assists. He will be a household name if and when the Pistons make the playoffs this year.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He doesn't average 1 more turnover than the rest of the team, the TEAM averages 1 more turnover per 48 minutes when he's on the floorthan they do when he's not... but they also cause 1 less on defense.

The reason we're talking about Bynum is because there is a battle going on for the backup of spot. The coach seemed to opening the door for stuckey before stuck closed it.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

After Billups, it's one rookie or the other.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well actually, what I was trying to do was dispute the claim that "east is terrible". The average of western conference may be better than the average of eastern conference, but the east is still a tough conference with little room for error for the top teams.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So you never once said one word to anyone about praising Billups for when the Pistons had extremely low turns over and over. And yet you want to speak up when I critizize Bynum when he started at point the team had 28 turns. Just to get this straight. Let me know if I missed something.

Oh, and to Micro, no, we won because of our front line. Actually, when Bynum went out it was practically a tie game. Siva came in and flat out controlled the game and we went up double digits pretty much to stay. Yeah, it took Siva about two minutes to get us a double digit lead.
  8. roscoe36

So Will can only lose us games, not win us games. That sounds fair and rational.
    Menace likes this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think you can make the case that the top 2-3 teams in the East have been better than the West since the Pistons won in '04 save for a year or two.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    linwood likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

IMO, he is not capable of winning us games.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Point guards don't get praised when their teammates have low turnovers. They get praised when their teammates make shots (assists) and when the point guard has low turnovers (for example, assist to turnover ratio). What you're suggesting just doesn't happen.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Lee, that is bogus. No one has led the Pistons to more wins the last 3 years than Bynum, not even Austin Daye.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    BallDon'tLie, Menace and mikhail1973 like this.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Maybe you have not participated in various Pistons forums all that long. Because it sure has happened, continuously, when we had Billups. Any forum that talked Pistons, talked about Billups leadership. Leadership is getting everyone into the sets right. Having everyone in their sets right lowers turns. So, you talk about low turnover game, you talk Billups, and what a floor general he is. And if you just read the articles sportswriters wrote about that 28 turnover game, you will note that it is mentioned that that kind of thing would not happen if Jennings was running the point. No, us fans, and the sportwriters are not all wrong about this.
  14. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I always enjoyed your Leecaps but this is just bs.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Nemo like this.
  15. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

'Well i think according to Lee, Daye could have won us games, the coach just woulnd't play him. I bet that if the coach had played Daye then teamrebounds would be much higher and we would have had a better defence efficiency.
  16. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

So does that mean you would bench Bynum and let Siva play (although Siva had 5 tunrovers to Bynum's 1)?
    linwood likes this.
  17. roscoe36

Turnovers only matter if Will Bynum commits them. If anyone else commits them, it's part of "organizing the team".
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It doesn't happen. Praising a point guard for being a good distributor and "floor general" isn't the same thing as the idea that the point guard is to blame/gets the credit for his teammates' high/low turnovers. We don't really need to discuss this anymore since we clearly have different opinions on this (just to sum up: I think point guards don't get praised or blamed for their teammates' turnovers, and you hate Will Bynum).
    linwood and Menace like this.
  19. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Couldn't agree more.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Absolutely, for several reasons. One, Siva has an upside. Second, I am very results oriented. If the team thrives with you on the floor, I want you to play for me. I don't care if you miss every shot. If we are winning with you missing every shot, you are probably taking the shots at good times where we are in position for the rebound, or you are just playing such good D you are making up for it. Whatever. Last game, Pope was our big plus minus guy. Play him more. Siva ran the point when we took control of the game. So play him more. I could care less how many turns we had if his play put us up ten. Look at the coach's comment on Siva - Siva took control of the game.

And lastly, and very, very importantly, Siva is a point guard. Bynum is in no way at all a point guard. Sure he can run a play now and then, but more typically Bynum is lost out there and does not know what to do with the ball. Siva in contrast, well, if you like Burke, remember its Siva that beat him - by playing fine D and being a great floor leader for his team. If you want your team to get better and better as a team this year, always running points who know how to lead and control the game is the way to go. We have Billups, Jennings, and Siva for that. All we need.