2013/2014 Pistons news and Happenings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 24, 2013.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

he wont play more than 10 minutes a game...very Magette-ish signing.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

basketbills and Mogilny like this.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yes you're right. An article I read stated he was guaranteed already, but that's wrong. Sorry to see you go Peyton...
    roscoe36 likes this.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Siva will be playing basketball---in another country. Maybe in a couple of years he will be ready for the NBA.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I will be glad when the final ball drops....so we can see really who is on this team and who is gone. Guess we have a few more weeks of speculation. With the signings of Augustin, Meeks, Gray, Butler and Martin....that's'five new players.

None are impact players and we still are not sure if Smith or Jennings or Monroe are still in the mix......who's leaving? Siva, Harrelson, Stuckey Bynum, Mitchell what about the multi year contract of GiGi?

I guess I am already tired of hearing about the Cavs, Heat, Bulls, Pacers, Wizards, Bobcats and Nets chances of winning the East. I know it is premature to include the Pistons in the conversation of a pretender, but need to at least have some media say as an after thought oh yeah the Pistons might make some noise.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Susie914 likes this.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

IMO Meeks is motivated and will make an impact right away. We haven't had a decent shooting guard since Rip and if you recall, it took him years to develop a decent 3-point stroke
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. LA Dre

I guess I should have read the other post called Pistons happenings rotations, 2015..etc. So Stucco and CV are gone just waiting to see what other player that was no use for this team is on their way out.....

To many threads referencing the same ideas comments.....no complaints as it is all good reading .....although this one does say 2013-14...
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We have had success in the past and our winners have always been teams that people love to hate. There is nothing sexy about being a hard-nosed blue collar city and team. We will never be a feel-good story or a cinderella team. But that also means we'll never attract bandwagoners whom I loathe. And to be honest, we have arguably been the worst team over the past 5 years combined so we need to re-earn some respect. So at the end of the day I'm content with our status around the league.

Plus, we have all been guilty of over-estimating our own team if the pre-season predictions are anything to go by! :cheeky-smiley-012:
    S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

This is the first signing I like. DJ Augustin is a good player that for some reason just hasn't been given the opportunity to be the main guy. I guess I can only dream that Jennings is traded before the start of the season.
  11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is an outstanding signing. Right along with Meeks. Just think: the empty noodles that dissolve in the fourth quarter, will now find their ass on the bench with some somber understandings of why fans are booing and their seat attendance is at the high-school level.
    LA Dre, roscoe36, kpaav and 1 other person like this.
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Not at all. I will take those 10 minutes in the fourth quarter. He plays smart, under-control and doesn't make stupid mistakes.
    And, on top of that, he will make a better administrator (in what ever organization) than Magette.

PS...Roscoe.
    I had a double problem with this first response to OLD SKOOL HQ and then a subsequent repeat with my response to Winless Wonder. Furthermore, I have no idea if OSH has some sort of winless communication going on with Wonder. Just saying...and, I am only kidding on their levels.
    However, with nearly the last 20 years in IT (government level), you ( and the crew) have my deepest sympathies.
    Again... another however: only Mlive comes close to match this groups perception on all things Pistons and the system you have set up (over the many years from a participatory level), is the best in the NBA.
    For everyone, keep up the good work!
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Junior and I discussed the roster today. We concluded that we have the best bench in the entire NBA. The problem is that we only have one starter (Drummond).
    Woody, BallDon'tLie, S.J. and 4 others like this.
  14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

At least we'll see SVG's ability to mix ingredients. This was a team that needed a massive overhaul but instead kept re-signing the same players over and over. It may be that we just assembled enough talent to make the 8th seed but considering how horrible the past few years have been, I'll take it.
    LA Dre, pass99 and roscoe36 like this.
  15. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

For once we will have a team filled with players that are properly sized with skills associated with a natural basketball position. That alone has me sold regardless of the names of the players.

Anyone read the Drew Sharpe article. Guy is so out of touch and lacks any complex analysis outside of the standard pessimistic talking points.
    coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  16. LA Dre

Last fall with the addition of Mo, Smooth and Jennings to Moose and Dre, some thought we were possibly the 5th best team in the east behind the Heat, Pacers, Bulls and Nets. Who knew the Raptors, Bobcats and Wizards would be far and above ahead of us when all was said and done.

Now this season we have to add the Cavs and the Phil Jackson/DerekFisher/Melo team back to the mix.
  17. junior

junior First Round Draft Pick 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just read it. Not a big fan.

Everything he writes is all biased opinions. No sources. No actual statistics to back up his claims.

"They’re a pulseless corpse." Seems like overkill to me...:deadhorse:

He makes no acknowledge to the Dumars era at all, as if it's Van Gundy who ruined the franchise.

To predict the Bucks to be better than the Pistons does not make sense.

Suggesting that Van Gundy can only be successful when a stretch 4 is playing and that we must sign-and-trade Monroe is ignorant and just lacks creativity.

I personally am more of a fan of Grantland writers, who use real statistics and sources. This article, although written before Free-agency is written with a some-what optimistic perspective for the Pistons. Sure, it's not perfect. But at least it's nice to read an honest article sometimes, ya know?
    Woody, basketbills and kpaav like this.
  18. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Siva and Harrelson were waived today.

A trade must be coming to get rid of somebody else.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  19. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yep. My gripe was that exactly. He acted as if SVG created the current problem, when anybody who is paid to critically think about the situation knows that these moves are being made in the context of a total reboot. Who in their right mind thinks SVG is making these minuscule moves with the idea that they are going to catapult the team into the upper echelon. They are clearly being used to set-up the team for flexibility to totally revamp it in the next few YEARS. He is so out of touch. I too stick to Grantland, but still think there is a place for local beat writers. The Mlive guys for the Lions are good, however, their Pistons coverage is lacking. V.Goodwall (sp?) from DetNews is alright and seems to get it, although he is scooped a lot by the National media which seems preposterous being in Detroit.
    Slippy, junior and roscoe36 like this.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd like to see us make a run at Jordan Hamilton.